[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Winter Classic

Delicious_bass

I'm a hockey fan.

But I don't understand why an outdoor hockey game is such a big deal. :wacko:

I think mainly its because the game was born outside and most people who play (including myself) often played on outdoor rinks/ponds/lakes/etc as kids. Its kind of a throwback in that sense. Plus, rarely is hockey ever played in front of crowds > 23K people like it is for the Classic. So there is that, too, I guess.

Outdoor hockey is the only good thing that has happened to the NHL under Bettman. And I'm sure it wasn't his idea.

Just about everyone that plays hockey grew up playing on frozen lakes and ponds, so bringing that feeling back, and building an NHL rink inside a football or baseball stadium, makes it a pretty awesome event.

I'd like to see a couple of these a year. Wouldn't Winnipeg-Minnesota or Winnipeg-Chicago be perfect? Noone outside those markets would care ofcourse, so you'd always want a large attractive game as well like the philly-nyr game.

On a sidenote, Bryzgalov is one entertaining goaltender...

Outdoor hockey is the only good thing that has happened to the NHL under Bettman. And I'm sure it wasn't his idea.

Just about everyone that plays hockey grew up playing on frozen lakes and ponds, so bringing that feeling back, and building an NHL rink inside a football or baseball stadium, makes it a pretty awesome event.

I wonder just how much pond hockey that the participants in this years game played? I surmise that with the growth of organized hockey, very little.

I think that the first one was aight. But they're running out of cool stadiums. (Heinz Field. Really?.) And I don't think that the league is going to get away with trotting the same teams out there everytime. Minnestoa Wild vs. Tampa Bay Lightning anyone?

And another thing - those f*cking kids should get off of my lawn.

agreed

OK, I've got no dog in the fight and hadn't seen that in a while so I forgot the circumstance. And while I certainly wouldn't condone throwing crap on the field, that video was mostly about some truly incompetent officials screwing up horribly and allowing a bad situation to get worse through inaction.

And, for the record, every person I've met from Philly itself seemed pretty cool. I've met some thugish idiots from the burbs who seemed like they had to act tough because "they were from Philly" (even though it was explained to me by guys from Philly that they weren't), but the guys I knew from Philly proper were pretty chill.

Edited by detlef

You are kidding me right? We still hear about snowballs and Santa which was 30+ years ago.

Of course I was kidding! Jeebus, someone is a little sensative. It was simply a joke about how long its been since the Browns were in playoff contention and a little jab at how far back you had to go. This wasnt about santa or any of the other things Philly fans have done in the past, nor am I condoning the idiots who threw bottles, snowballs, dog bones, whatever, on the field at Municiple Stadium.. It was a post about a couple of idiot Flyer fans who deserved to be called out. I am guessing by your defensive stance you have no problem with the actions of these gentlemen and how it reflects upon your fair city.

Edited by Cameltosis

I am guessing by your defensive stance you have no problem with the actions of these gentlemen and how it reflects upon your fair city.

Absolutely not. Those guys were idiots and deserve jail time. It was a case of courage by way of liquor and a crowd which is why these things usually happen and why I don't take my son to Eagles games. I'm not worried about it happening to me but I don;t need my son seeing someone get beat because some drunk a$$hole has some beer balls. I don't defend the stupid things some fans do in this city anymore, I am tired of it. But some people think it only happens here and that is what pisses me off. People are getting beat into comas in LA, bottles are thrown on the field in Cleveland, there are massive riots in Vancouver, etc.

And Det I know you said you didn't condone it but let me ask you this, if that happened in Philly would people say it was due to the fact that the official blew a call or because all Philly fans are idiots?

And Det I know you said you didn't condone it but let me ask you this, if that happened in Philly would people say it was due to the fact that the official blew a call or because all Philly fans are idiots?

I have no idea.

I will say this though, regardless of the city, whenever something like this happens, someone posts "Stay Classy <blank>", so this is not uniqute to you all.

Edited by detlef