[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

La Canfora Reports the Manning Era is Over...

kpholmes

Kind of bums me out. Hate to see a guy like Manning get taken out because of tricept tendons. I was hoping he could do a Kurt Warner (not go to AZ) and find a team to take to the SB in his late 30s and get another shot to go out on top. :wacko:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People close to Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning don’t believe he’ll resume his career, according to Yahoo Sports reporter Jason Cole in a post late Monday.

"The nerves in Manning’s arm are not healing as quickly as hoped and, worse, don’t appear to be progressing at enough of a rate to indicate that he will play again, according to two sources with knowledge of Manning’s rehabilitation from neck surgery," the Yahoo report said. "The vertebrae in his neck that were fused have healed as expected and Manning began throwing in December. But he hasn’t shown improvement in velocity on his passes, and the two sources fear he likely never will again."

Manning did not play in the 2011 season to recover from neck surgery last summer.

The report said Manning couldn’t be reached for comment.

:wacko:

Each passing day it seems clearer he's done. I'd expect an announcement next week after the SB.

Never having been a professional athlete, I guess I don't know what drives them on but it certainly isn't money in Manning's case.

Hall of Fame - check

More money than God - check

Future in broadcasting - check

Intelligent enough to understand the potential consequences of playing after major neck surgery - ?

Each passing day it seems clearer he's done. I'd expect an announcement next week after the SB.

Never having been a professional athlete, I guess I don't know what drives them on but it certainly isn't money in Manning's case.

Hall of Fame - check

More money than God - check

Future in broadcasting - check

Intelligent enough to understand the potential consequences of playing after major neck surgery - ?

I think what might drive a professional athlete in Manning's position is obviously a big-time competitive fire but also just that these guys, Manning included, have done this non-stop since they were kids. It's their life. It's what they know. So it represents change and some people don't embrace change quite as readily as maybe they should.

That all said, I think Manning is smart enough to know when to call it quits. If he's jeopardizing himself in any way by playing, I don't think he'll play - not with two new children to focus on.

I know it doesn't quite carry the credibility of a report from Rob Lowe, Jason LaCanfora, or yahoo reporter Jason Cole, but Manning himself sounds like he expects to play:

Manning, in an interview with ESPN's Trey Wingo, said that he and Irsay will discuss whether the Super Bowl-winning quarterback will remain with the Colts "at the appropriate time, and when we do, I think some decisions will be made after that. But until then I'm just continuing to rehab, work hard, and to enjoy this week because it really is a special week for the city and certainly for my family."

Manning said that his recovery from spinal fusion surgery in September -- his third surgery in 19 months is going well despite the fact he didn't play last season.

"I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day," he said. "Everything that the doctors have told me has been on point, which is encouraging to me. I just had a great day today with rehab, just got back from the facility, and that's what we continue to do. Just keep trying to get better. So far I have. That's the plan from here on out."

:wacko: