[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Had 3 teeth pulled today...

Avernus

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions on what I can or can't eat ...I had the wisdom tooth and the two back teeth below it and they didn't even stitch me up which I found strange....

Right up my alley. I didn't have 3 pulled, I had all of them pulled. Oatmeal in the morning for sure. I found Tomato soup with some Top Ramen great for lunch and I would order Mashed Potatoes and Mac/Cheese from KFC for dinner. If you are into smoothies, that is another option..I could never stomach it though.

ETA: And be careful not to smoke or drink until you are healed. The chances of infection are severe the first 2-3 days.

Edited by tazinib1

there was a link that had some ideas for Taz when he had his pulled. If I knew how to use the damm reply features I would just put the link here ... Mashed potatoes, I like smoothies with peanut butter added, that way you get some good fat.

Just call Big John...watch :wacko:

I also found pudding and apple sauce cups a great way to get over the snackies.

ETA: Just to be clear, you will lose some protein in your diet while your mouth heals. The last thing you want is a dry socket. Avoid solid foods...anything you have to bite. Foods that are easily digestible via a spoon are recommended. Thats just my :2c:

Edited by tazinib1

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions on what I can or can't eat ...I had the wisdom tooth and the two back teeth below it and they didn't even stitch me up which I found strange....

Didn't the dentist go over this with you?

Didn't the dentist go over this with you?

he left and his assistant went over certain things while I was in a daze (mostly tired) and they gave me a piece of paper but the conversation was pretty brief and I wanted some sort of feedback here on what others have done...

I'm pretty sure for the most part if you went to a regular dentist for the extraction, then the procedure was simple and there is no need for stitches. I had 2 of my wisdom teeth removed last year and this was also the case for me. Now if the teeth are coming in crooked and they are gonna be a major issue, they will send you to an oral surgeon because you will need to be twilight-ed or put under altogether by an anesthesiologist. If that's the case, then there would be major cutting and removing and that would require stitches. Otherwise your wounds (holes) will heal. It just takes time.

As has been said, NO SMOKING. This is a major cause of dry socket which you do not want to get. Very very painful and not quickly solved. Also you should rise your mouth out with warm salt water 5-6 times a day and especially right after you eat. This will force whatever food particles out of the wounds and promote healing. I was very strict in doing this after my extractions, and I healed up pretty quickly. Also no sharp foods (Doritoes, chips, candy etc..) on that side of your mouth for months. You could easily jab the wound and it hurts like a mo fo.

Right up my alley. I didn't have 3 pulled, I had all of them pulled.

Did you get them all pulled at once, or was it over the course of a few visits? How long until they fitted you for dentures after the extractions? I have a few teeth that were crowned early on (like 5) that are likely going to require being pulled at some time very shortly, as well as a couple others that are 50% fillings that are likely going to go at some point. Not looking forward to it.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed at the same time. They came in straight so it wasn't too big of the deal to remove them. However, dry socked is one of the worst things ever. Adding to the whole smoking thing mention above also do not drink from a straw. Morning poop time, brb...

Did you get them all pulled at once, or was it over the course of a few visits? How long until they fitted you for dentures after the extractions? I have a few teeth that were crowned early on (like 5) that are likely going to require being pulled at some time very shortly, as well as a couple others that are 50% fillings that are likely going to go at some point. Not looking forward to it.

All at once. 3 hours in the chair along with gum line and jaw bone surgery. The dentists instrument stand looked like a scene from Saw. They fitted me for dentures the same day. Went back in a week for suture removal and re-adjustment.

Edited by tazinib1

It only took about 6-8 punches really . . . .

I'm pretty sure for the most part if you went to a regular dentist for the extraction, then the procedure was simple and there is no need for stitches. I had 2 of my wisdom teeth removed last year and this was also the case for me. Now if the teeth are coming in crooked and they are gonna be a major issue, they will send you to an oral surgeon because you will need to be twilight-ed or put under altogether by an anesthesiologist. If that's the case, then there would be major cutting and removing and that would require stitches. Otherwise your wounds (holes) will heal. It just takes time.

As has been said, NO SMOKING. This is a major cause of dry socket which you do not want to get. Very very painful and not quickly solved. Also you should rise your mouth out with warm salt water 5-6 times a day and especially right after you eat. This will force whatever food particles out of the wounds and promote healing. I was very strict in doing this after my extractions, and I healed up pretty quickly. Also no sharp foods (Doritoes, chips, candy etc..) on that side of your mouth for months. You could easily jab the wound and it hurts like a mo fo.

Canes is dead on. If the teeth were erupted, then they wouldn't have stitched the gums. The warm salt water is great too to promote healing. Rinse only after 48 hours though.....then gently for a week. No hard swishing. Tepid....not hot.

You should eat what you think you can handle. BUT...avoid nuts, seeds, popcorn for as long as you can see the sockets open. Seeds are the tricky one...they are in things you don't think of. Tomato seeds are a biggie. Sesame seeds on buns.....another one people don't think of.

I actually went to an oral surgeon and had no stitches

All at once. 3 hours in the chair along with gum line and jaw bone surgery. The dentists instrument stand looked like a scene from Saw. They fitted me for dentures the same day. Went back in a week for suture removal and re-adjustment.

that is some prompt work...I averaged about 5 minutes per tooth...my jaw was being yanked around in a circular motion :wacko: and i couldn't help laughing at what my face probably looked like :tup:

feel better Av and hopefully you avoid dry socket which i believe is the most painful thing i ever experienced and that includes breaking arm in two places playing football and tearing achilles

as it has been stated dont use a straw and avoid all food getting into site of extractions

Good luck

I had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled all at once--three of them were just fine, but I got dry socket on the 4th. (It was during this experience that I learned that vicodin doesn't really work for me.)

I also got some sort of nut or something lodged in the empty socket and I couldn't get it out for 10-12 hours--that wasn't much fun either.

After about a week, I finally felt decent again.