[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is It me?

Yukon Cornelius

It's a anger mechanism. In your head, the words that you are getting ready to write and type are spelled correctly, but when you transfer that thought to your fingers, the words come out all wrong.

So what you are doing is punishing your fingers for betraying you.

Edited by Chief Dick

I've had the same problem for years until I'd noticed that I was wearing the enamel off of the tips of my teeth. I've since greatly reduced the habit by just keeping my nails trimmed very short. Now I've gotten to where I can't stand for them to get any length at all. I still bite them occasionally, but nearly as much.

Another tip similar to Scorchers and a lot simpler. Grab a box of new rubber bands from supply and every time you think about biting then grab a rubber band and play around with it. It will help satisfy your nervous habit and it will get that nasty rubber band taste on your fingers for the next time you do it subconsciously.

ETA: Store a pair of nail clippers wherever you spend your time. Keep a pair at your bedside table, in your office desk & in the car so that you always have an alternative to biting them. When you notice you're doing it then grab the clippers.

Edited by rajncajn

Find something else to do with your hands. Get a stress ball or something.

I used to bite my fingernails a lot but then I bought a football to have in my office as something to do when I'm reading, talking of the phone etc.

It's a anger mechanism. In your head, the words that you are getting ready to write and type are spelled correctly, but when you transfer that thought to your fingers, the words come out all wrong.

So what you are doing is punishing your fingers for betraying you.

This is very plausible... I have tried the bitter stuff and hot stuff , i used to chew pencils up and maybe that was because of the bad spelling also?

The doctor told me a while back that it's usually related to anxiety (whether it be good or bad stress), and also the whole "evening them out" thing... I frequently destroy my nails (and more painfully cuticles) by trying to even them out like that. It's really becoming a bad habit for me too, as it's also working down the enamel on my teeth too.

The doc said that one solution is the same for not smoking. He recommends carrots that you can peel/play with your teeth similar to chewing on nails, but anything that can occupy your hands or oral fixation (:wacko:) is probably going to help. Rajn also makes a good point about keeping them cut short (if you can let them all grow out that much first).

I used to bite my fingernails and putting something on them that tastes bad never deterred me at all. I have now stopped biting them except for my 2 pinky fingers. I have completely destroyed them and it's not just biting but picking at them is even worse. I don't have a lot of nail left on either of them and I just can't stop.

just think of all the germs and that once you bite a nail there is no turning back, the germs have entered and will wreak havoc. they will start on your gums, then line your throat and work their way to your intestines. everytime you get sick it is b/c you bite your nails.

I don't get sick?