[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another car question

Jimmy Neutron

Looking for a reliable 4 door with decent power and available manual tranny < $10k. Something a little sporty would be nice - first thought was a Nissian Maxima. These have a little power, especially when mated to a manual and can still get 30 mpg on the highway. Will be used as my daily drive and move a lot of kids/backpacks/sport bags etc. Will also be used for long road trips (2000+ miles) every other month.

Any thoughts on the Maxima or other like vehicle? TIA

Quick Yahoo autos search shows only 3 Maximas $10k or less within 300 miles of San Diego (I know you don't live in SD but I couldn't remember exactly where). One was a '97, one was a '01 and one was a '05. I guess the point is I'm not sure how much car you can get for $10k in a Maxima. May have to go older than you want.

Quick Yahoo autos search shows only 3 Maximas $10k or less within 300 miles of San Diego (I know you don't live in SD but I couldn't remember exactly where). One was a '97, one was a '01 and one was a '05. I guess the point is I'm not sure how much car you can get for $10k in a Maxima. May have to go older than you want.

A co-worker has an '02 Maxima with 66k miles and asking 8 grand. Sounds like a decent deal to me, but not sure about the reliability of older Maximas or other models in the same class.

I'm a big fan of the Hyundai Sonata. The 3.3L V-6 is a nice engine (235 hp). Not a true manual but an auto with a manual shifting option.

Not very familiar with the Sonata, but I really like the Genesis. Too bad I can't get that in my price range... they've got a new 5.0 model that's pushing 400 ponies.