[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RIP Burton, this mans best friend

Hugh B Tool

It is with a heavy heart and a tear soaked keyboard I write this. Burton, my dog and best friend the last fourteen years, was layed to rest last weekend. We just got his ashes back today. Finality for sure, yet he is back home, where he belongs.

Anyone from the Huddle or elsewhere that have met me, know just how close this dog and I were. Because he was with me most of the time. FF Drafts, work, play and home. They met me, they met Burton. Many a team named after him. He was in two dog calendars because of his one of a kind look and demeanor. Huge, intimidating dog(Malamute/Rotty/Shepard mix) that I rescued at six months old because he was already too big for the former owners home at seventy pounds. Didn't go to Petsmart to get a dog at the time, Actually went for cat food as we had just got a kitten from DGF. Twenty plus dogs running around on this rescue day. All barking, running around crazy, etc. Effn nuthouse for sure. Sans one. This big, beautiful pup was just cooling out chewing on a rawhide bone, like he was the only dog there. My daughter and stepson saw him first, her ten, him four. The rest is history as they say. I knew even though he was going to be a handful of work, and believe me he was. And the fact that these were young kids around a big(which turned out Hugh,140lbs) dog of his breed mix was discerning also. Taking him home was the best decision of my life. He was taught to be so gentle, a child could drop a cookie in his mouth from theirs. He rarely if ever barked, a silent sentry, yet his presence was again, hugh. DGF's twin sweethearts spent much time with him also. Kids would ride him like a horse, ask for him to come to their birthday parties. He would wear party hats as long as you petted and played with him.

Speaking of DGF, Burt was like his brother from another mother. These two had a bond, that was so strong it was almost comical. Though any human that met him, loved him, even if not dog people. Like I said he was with me all the time. Stop at a bar for a beer after work, Burt was in the back of the truck. Working at our course. he was in the back of my ez-go. People gravitated to him, catious at first, yet raving about such a dog upon leaving. Lost count of how many times people offered to take him off my hands if ever I was getting rid of him. Yeah, ya sure, ya betcha. Or how many said we look alike, which was definately more of a compliment to me.

Thank you Burt for a great fourteen years. You taught me how to be a better friend and person. You will forever be remembered by anyone that met you, and I just thank whatever Lord there is above, I got the chance to own such a great creature. Yet, I will never know why that same God can give a turtle a hundred year lifespan, but give a animal such as Burt so much less. I digress, my apologies.

And thank you my fellow Huddlers for reading this, put him in your thoughts and prayers please.

Love you buddy! Big John if you could be so kind as to post a pic of the Rojo Perro Grande, that would be way cool also. I will post more as I figure out this new format and can take looking at pictures of him without tearing up.

• Like 1

The loss is always very deep and somewhat profound as a symbol of what value and place he had in your life. Glad to see you holding dear such great memories that will never leave. Burton isn't really missing so much as he's just gone ahead and will be waiting.

:brew: to Burton

I'm thankful to have had a chance to meet Burton. A true gentle giant. He will be missed and remembered fondly. Thank you Hughy for sharing him and his story. It teaches me to appreciate my pups even more. My thoughts are with you.