[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RIP Burton, this mans best friend

Hugh B Tool

Burton isn't really missing so much as he's just gone ahead and will be waiting.

I am so very sorry to hear this, Hugh. There is something unique about the tight bond we form with that one, fabulous dog in our lives. If we are dog people, we have many dogs in our lifetimes. But there is always that one that occupies a most special place in our hearts.

Burton was as lucky to have you as you were to have him.

Hoping the ache eases some with time, Hugh...but I can tell you it never really goes away.

Big hugs, my friend.....be well. RIP Burton

Hugh B, sorry for your loss. I know my pups are like family, ARE family, and sometimes losing them can be even more painful, givin thier innocence and unconditional love they give us, sometimes even undeservedly so. 14 years. He had a full life. One that you obviously made a very happy one. Treasure his memory. Part of him will live as long as you do, as long as your family members who knew him as well. He isn't gone. He may not be there with you, but he'll never be gone. He owns a part of you, a piece of your heart that will never be entirely your own. That bond is what makes them so special.

My pup, a rescue, has little time left. I have to face this soon. She's 14 1/2. Still happy, but the legs are giving out, so is her control over pooping and peeing. I can deal with the mess as long as she isn't in pain and is still happy, but the time is coming, and soon. How do I feel about my dog? LOL... when she got lost about 6 years ago, I had a live thread going here...it was a near epic thread. I was inconsolable, but it had a happy ending. I know how you feel. And I DO believe the day I die, I will be surrounded by all the pups I ever had, bounding around and tumbling with each other in a field of tall grass. Pure freakin joy. Doesn't matter if it's pure fantasy. It gives me great comfort. Might be why they invented religion in the first place, but it matters not. The possibilty is a great comfort.

My sincere condolances.

As a first-time dog owner, in a few short years I've come to the conclusion that dogs are perhaps the greatest invention in the history of mankind. I'll be a disconsolate, blubbering mess when the time comes with my lab.

Condolences to you on your loss.

When the old Nitty Gritty Dirt Band song Mr. Bojangles comes on I still shed a tear when the lyrics turn to his dog up and dying. Mr. Bojangles still grieved 20 years after according to the song. It'll be 32 years next month since my best dog died and I still grieve a bit now and again, but only when I hear that song. Otherwise I feel lucky to have had her.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

When the old Nitty Gritty Dirt Band song Mr. Bojangles comes on I still shed a tear when the lyrics turn to his dog up and dying. Mr. Bojangles still grieved 20 years after according to the song. It'll be 32 years next month since my best dog died and I still grieve a bit now and again, but only when I hear that song. Otherwise I feel lucky to have had her.

we have a Mr BoJangles up for adoption: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/14005877

(He's a bit of a croner himself)