[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

shooting star seen in broad daylight

Scooby

some of my friends & family in south TX witnessed a meteor today in broad daylight....very, very bright. I never knew you could see one during the day, but I guess you can:) Must have been huge...maybe it was ET? ;) Has anyone one here seen one during the day? (ps, I'm bored and I love astronomy) :)))

Cool--I've never seen a shooting start in the daytime, but last week I saw Venus in the late afternoon. It took a while to locate it, but once I did, it was clearly visible--made me wonder why I'd never seen it during the day before (of course, then I realized that I normally stand around looking up at the sky all day long).

wow!! always looking up to the heavens day or nite, eventually you will see something cool...was venus near the sun? in other words, did you have to block the sun in some fashion (like maybe with a building or something so as not to damage eyes) to see venus during the day? hope this makes sense...? :)))

wow!! always looking up to the heavens day or nite, eventually you will see something cool...was venus near the sun? in other words, did you have to block the sun in some fashion (like maybe with a building or something so as not to damage eyes) to see venus during the day? hope this makes sense...? :)))

It wasn't that close to the sun so I was able to pretty easily shade the sun to see Venus. Thankfully I knew that on the day I was looking, Venus would the near the crescent moon, so once I found that, I found Venus about 30 seconds or so later.

Wow, that's awesome. I've never heard of one being seen in the day time expect for that 1972 video of one streaking across the sky out west and in Canada (here:

). I am an uber geek when it comes to this kind of stuff. In fact, in January there was a comet that came into the neighbor of the solar system but the only way we could see it was during the day time and you needed to block out the sun and use special filters on your telescope (because it was really close to the sun). I tried my hardest to find it but I couldn't.

Since the early boy scout days I’ve sat and watch certain meteor showers (November/March) and I’ve seen a lot of random ones but most of the time they are very short, fast streaks of light in the sky. It’s rare when once travels for more than a split seconds or that has a defined tail to it. I remember driving down to Myrtle Beach back in 2000 for vacation with the wife (then girlfriend). We were on 95 in north Carolina and it was already dark. Right in line with the road so that no trees block it a large greenish-white ball streaked from the sky and made it all the way to the horizon. It was the best meteor I ever saw and it light up the area (sort of like this one but vertical in its trajectory and with a greenish tint to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5TgKXSZ_Sw)

Imagine seeing this one:

Or this one:

(lol, “Fired up aboot a fireball…”)