[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is everything Home Depot sells complete and utter crap?!?

matt770

Without going into great detail, I can assure you that the product you buy at HD, whatever it may be, is more than likely not the same thing you would buy at a local mom and pop store. gardening, tools, plumbing supplies, it generally does not matter.

The long and the short of the story is that the box stores have such clout and the potential for such hugh sales is there for any product they sell, that they approach a company and tell them, "We'd like to sell your product and this is what we're going ti pay for it." These manufacturers are blinded by the potential sales so much that they will more often than not produce an inferior product just for them. It will have the same name, look the same on the outside, but a screw or two here or there will be different, or a gasket will be rubber as opposed to ceramic, etc. Some companies (Kohler I know for sure, suspect many others) literally have different manufacturing facilities for HD then they do for the local stores. And surprise, surprise, it's located in Mexico. DO NOT under any circumstance buy a faucet or toilet from HD. Trust me and thank me later.

I know this is true of WalMart, did not realize it applied to HD also. I bought a Wahl beard trimmer and a Dremel multi-tool from Walmart and they were both garbage. The latter I returned immediately because it was so obvious how cheaply made it was. These are well-respected brands I thought, so I'm surprised they would make such poor quality stuff and put their name on it.

I know this is true of WalMart, did not realize it applied to HD also. I bought a Wahl beard trimmer and a Dremel multi-tool from Walmart and they were both garbage. The latter I returned immediately because it was so obvious how cheaply made it was. These are well-respected brands I thought, so I'm surprised they would make such poor quality stuff and put their name on it.

Just this morning I had a contractor of mine come in looking for a framing square. He had just bought one from HD and it broke in less than a week. (Not sure if he was using it as a pry bar or what?) But right on it was labeled made in China. I showed him the same square in my store for about $1.50 more than he paid, only mine was made in USA. Same brand name, same item #. I do this little game usually once or twice a week with different people.

This is how HD ends up with exclusive rights with different brands (Rigid/Ryobi for instance). Many brands that HD wants to sell do not want to sacrifice their product in order to be sold in HD and choose not to, or they go the other way and only sell in HD. Either way, they don't like having the same product on the market with different qualities.

Just this morning I had a contractor of mine come in looking for a framing square. He had just bought one from HD and it broke in less than a week. (Not sure if he was using it as a pry bar or what?) But right on it was labeled made in China. I showed him the same square in my store for about $1.50 more than he paid, only mine was made in USA. Same brand name, same item #. I do this little game usually once or twice a week with different people.

This is how HD ends up with exclusive rights with different brands (Rigid/Ryobi for instance). Many brands that HD wants to sell do not want to sacrifice their product in order to be sold in HD and choose not to, or they go the other way and only sell in HD. Either way, they don't like having the same product on the market with different qualities.

So I'm curious, where do you typically buy tools?

I've got a bunch of the Ryobis, the cordless drill, circular saw, sawzall, and sander, and a miter saw, and they are all pretty decent. Battery life and power are about what I expect for homeowner grade tools and they do great for what I use them for.

I about choked when I bought my first Starrett combination square... But, the thing is light years more accurate and hasn't fallen apart yet.

Matt, depending on what you need, there are a number of sources for power tools other than HD. Tell me whathyer shopping for and I'll point you in the right direction.

I about choked when I bought my first Starrett combination square... But, the thing is light years more accurate and hasn't fallen apart yet.

Matt, depending on what you need, there are a number of sources for power tools other than HD. Tell me whathyer shopping for and I'll point you in the right direction.

Outdoor stuff mostly, rakes, shovels, sprinklers. I may be looking into a gas hedge trimmer soon too.

Outdoor stuff mostly, rakes, shovels, sprinklers. I may be looking into a gas hedge trimmer soon too.

Pike Nursery sells decent shovels. There is one off of Barrett Parkway across from Kaufmann Tire at Dallas Hwy.

Gas hedge trimmer. Go see the people at Lost Mountain Outdoor Power equipment off of Macland Rd./St. hwy 360. Or there is a True Value/Cobb Hardware Co. at 380 Roswell St. Marietta. If you go through downtown marietta, toward hwy 41, it is on your right across from the national cemetery.

Lost Mountain Outdoor Power equipment

Good tip, I ordered my mower deck through them. I love those independent shops. I'm going to make a point of frequenting places like that as much as possible from now on. Frack Home Depot and the other big box purveyors of crap. They are un-American and are sucking us dry. I had them above Walmart in my mind but they are no different.

So I'm curious, where do you typically buy tools?

I've got a bunch of the Ryobis, the cordless drill, circular saw, sawzall, and sander, and a miter saw, and they are all pretty decent. Battery life and power are about what I expect for homeowner grade tools and they do great for what I use them for.

This is one of the keys. Home depot is 100% geared toward the DIY'er. In the business plan, I don't think it was ever intended to be a contractor shop. The level of customer service is never going to be there. Hell, one week an employee is working in lawn and garden, the next week they are in plumbing. Contractors shop there for the size and convenience, but in its really not the best place for them to be. Where I work is 90% contractor driven. We know then by name when they walk in the door, and we know their 'preferences' when it comes to materials and we remember past jobs to draw on for comparisons. So it's really contractors and other 'higher use' guys that get screwed at HD. My issue is yes, I don't use my drill every day, but I also don't want to have to buy a new one every 3-5 years because I bought a POS. So I have always been one to buy a 'professional' product for myself in the hopes that I would have it forever (or at least a long time). After talking with my customers who have one and use it every day, I just bought this:

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=24073

If they can use it every day and love it, then it should last me for a long, long time and do everything I'll ever need it to do around my house.

And, seeing as i work in a local, independent hardware store, i buy all my tools there. ;)

But even if I changed jobs, I'd still shop at the same type of place. As you can tell, I have strong feelings on the subject :)

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Home Depot after work today to buy a lawn mower. It'll probably fall apart in 3 years, but my father in law unexpectedly broke my current one, so I don't really have time to research much or be too picky. I need to mow by tomorrow or else I'll be mowing the whole thing with a Josh Gordon eater.

I'm going to Home Depot after work today to buy a lawn mower. It'll probably fall apart in 3 years, but my father in law unexpectedly broke my current one, so I don't really have time to research much or be too picky. I need to mow by tomorrow or else I'll be mowing the whole thing with a Josh Gordon eater.

Crap, that reminds me. I need to mow tonight.

I bought one from Lowes, think it was a Troy Bilt, and has a Honda motor. Thing has been fine for over 7 years, no signs of falling apart.

Makes me wonder, do the better brands of outdoor equipment like Honda and Echo make knockoff versions of their products for HD as is the case in other departments?

I bought 1/2 mile of electric fence wire from HD the other day. It seems to be working fine.

Also, the tomato, pepper, cantaloupe and okra plants seem to be doing well, also.

Bought a Honda Mower this year from HD, same model number and same price as every other place in town. I went there for convenience since all the smaller shops close early around me and make it difficult to get there before they close. I tend to buy my tools at sears, but beware that right next to the craftsman stuff is china crap. While the Craftsman tools may not be the highest quality, all their hand tools have a lifetime warranty!

Edited by paulzale

Bought a Honda Mower this year from HD, same model number and same price as every other place in town. I went there for convenience since all the smaller shops close early around me and make it difficult to get there before they close. I tend to buy my tools at sears, but beware that right next to the craftsman stuff is china crap. While the Craftsman tools may not be the highest quality, all their hand tools have a lifetime warranty!

I have to admit, the Honda mower I bought there has been solid. It's ten years old and starts on the first pull every time. I did just have to replace the deck but that was my fault, mowing when it was wet. The wet grass caked inside the deck and it rusted through.

Also my Echo trimmer and chain saw from HD are very good quality. Spent more than I wanted to, but they will hopefully last many years.

Well, the mower I just bought last night is a Honda. Granted it was the lowest end one. From the little bit I read online it sounds like the low end Honda's are half Toro, but they still have some of the quality Honda parts. We'll see how it goes when I use it tonight. I'm sure it'll be fine for a season or so. HD did have a promo going where if you register in the first 30 days they add one year onto the 5 year warranty. Hopefully I never have to use it.

Well, the mower I just bought last night is a Honda. Granted it was the lowest end one. From the little bit I read online it sounds like the low end Honda's are half Toro, but they still have some of the quality Honda parts. We'll see how it goes when I use it tonight. I'm sure it'll be fine for a season or so. HD did have a promo going where if you register in the first 30 days they add one year onto the 5 year warranty. Hopefully I never have to use it.

You my friend are surprisingly UN- American :razz:

For me, the key part is the Honda motor. As I said mine was Troy Bilt with a Honda engine, and no troubles at all. I did have to replace the air filter prematurely as it satured with oil one time when I had the mower on the side cleaning it. Among my motorcyle riding friends we have a saying about Hondas "its a Honda, just do simple regular maintenance and it will last forever".

You my friend are surprisingly UN- American :razz:

I was actually kind of sad with what has become of Lawn Boy. My family had one of those for like 15 years and the thing ran well when I was growing up. Now it's like the el cheapo $199 mower from the box store.

Edited by Square

I was actually kind of sad with what has become of Lawn Boy. My family had one of those for like 15 years and the thing ran well when I was growing up. Now it's like the el cheapo $199 mower from the box store.

I hear Lawn Boy moved to San Francisco and they call him On Boy now.

:bag:

• 7 years later...