[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Job Needed

Timmypg

As some of you probably know I am physically handicapped. Due to my disability I need to work from home. Unfortunately most if not all work at home jobs are telemarketing (with my disability I'm hard to understand sometimes so I can't do this) or writing (not my strong suit). I am very good with computers (Microsoft Office, Email, ect. not the programming stuff) and I have a degree in Accounting with a Certificate for Federal Income Taxes. I have been looking for work for years so I can help pull my own weight instead of depending on my parents. I am only looking for part time work because I can't lose my health insurance. Does anyone know of any companies looking for a little help that can be done from home? TIA

A lot of companies like IBM and Bank of America have folks who do computer support from home these days; however these positions are typically full time and usually you have to be in the office for initial training and orientation. I would submit your resume to temp agencies and see what they can find.

I don't know anyone that is hiring but, since you have a degree in accounting could you start your own business doing some bookkeeping work from home? I work for a CPA and know several people who do this and make decent money.

You might try your local SCORE / SBA. You could let them know about your availability to work with their clients as well as get help launching your business. Local chamber of commerce might be of some help too.

i'd try this. And I'd try to find clients via local social media groups. Just get on, join stuff, start chattng. Check out other small business bookeeper/accountant types like you want to be, see what they're doing that's successful. If you can afford to, essentially, give your service away, try groupon, lvingsocial type stuff. Offer up some kind of small business package solution at a reasonable price.

One nice thing about this route is that small business networking groups often like barter, so no paperwork, perse. You can get "free" services in exchange for your service, so no official income. Like if you're disabled and have a backyard, find a guy who just started a landscaping service. He probably needs your service and you get free mowing and such. Find a graphic designer to do marketing for you while you handle their books.

good luck. it's a brutual economy, but it's actually a decent time to start a small business and make new friends who'll help you as you help them.

Some good info in the first paragraph. I would also suggest putting an ad on craigslist or in the local newspaper. Once you get a few clients it will get easier to find work because they will, most likely, be able to refer more business to you, assuming you do good work. I see a lot of bad bookkeepers everyday so finding one that does good work is valuable.

I am not sure I agree with the second paragraph if you are saying "no official income" as in it doesn't need to be reported. Income from barter transactions still need to be reported.

You mentioned that you are good with computers. Do you know Peachtree and Quickbooks? Most small businesses use one or the other so knowing both would be helpful.

Also, if you don't want to try starting your own bookkeeping business you could reach out to any local CPA's. It may be tough right now since it's just after tax season but maybe someone has some overflow work that they could let you work on. Or at the very least they can keep you in mind for next tax season when they are hiring seasonal work.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I tried contacting local Tax/Accounting firms a few years ago and nobody gave me the time of day. I just got a PTIN (official tax number) so next tax season I'm going to try to hang fliers around town and such to see if I can get clients that way. Right now I only do taxes for family & friends so there isn't much profit there.

Ironically I had an interview last summer with our local CIL (Center for Independent Living) office and they turned me down because I can't physically scan papers. I was able to do the other 75% of the job but not the scanning. They're supposed to work with people with disabilities but they wouldn't budge. My local OVR (Office of Vocational Rehabilitation) office has been very helpful but they're more used to getting people office jobs. They said they'll help passing out fliers for next tax season though.

Social media might be a way to go. I always assumed people would use local people/firms so what is the point of putting an ad on a site that gets scene by everyone. I guess it can't hurt though.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I tried contacting local Tax/Accounting firms a few years ago and nobody gave me the time of day. I just got a PTIN (official tax number) so next tax season I'm going to try to hang fliers around town and such to see if I can get clients that way. Right now I only do taxes for family & friends so there isn't much profit there.

Ironically I had an interview last summer with our local CIL (Center for Independent Living) office and they turned me down because I can't physically scan papers. I was able to do the other 75% of the job but not the scanning. They're supposed to work with people with disabilities but they wouldn't budge. My local OVR (Office of Vocational Rehabilitation) office has been very helpful but they're more used to getting people office jobs. They said they'll help passing out fliers for next tax season though.

Social media might be a way to go. I always assumed people would use local people/firms so what is the point of putting an ad on a site that gets scene by everyone. I guess it can't hurt though.

I would continue trying to talk to anyone who works for a small local tax/accounting firm. Even if most ignore you there might be one out there that could use your help or point you towards someone else who does.

The tax business for next year is a great idea. IMO, try getting some bookkeeping business to go along with it even if they use someone else to prepare their tax returns. When those client take their statements to a CPA they will notice if you do quality work and may be able to refer more business to you that they don't have time for or it could even get you an interview for a job if they know you are looking.