[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Mathews, not tough enough?

Actually Hook pretty much hit the nail on the head. Everyone in the NFL plays hurt, so they are all tough. Players get the fragile tag more because of the timing of when they don't play and the extent of the injury at that time. Mathews is notorious(even in college) for coming up lame at the most inopportune times. Top ten or even eight back this year? more than likely. Out or nicked when you need him most? Most likely.

It looks like there is a lot of justifying as to why he shouldn't be picked. Based on his performance last year, it is clear he could end up as a top performer. It. Is also clear he has gotten dinged more than his share his first two years. Trend or bad luck? Will it continue? Is he going to be the next Fred Taylor?

To hammer the kid on LAST year, when he has gained muscle and gotten faster THIS year seems like a pointless discussion. Whatever the issues he had with prepping for camp are clearly past him. He works hard, his teammates like him, he has studied a lot of film and worked on his blocking/pass protection, which should keep him on the field more and give him even more opportunity to get touches AND get hurt.

It is a brutal game and after your first full contact practice, you play dinged with something the rest of the year. Each year can be freakish. One season, I seemed to dislocate a finger at least once a week. The next season, just my pinkie once. I didn't miss a start either season. The injuries that keep most these guys off the field are wheel injuries (lower back to the big toe). Most of the other stuff you can play through. The only game I ever missed was with a sprained big toe. Shots, ice, nothing worked. It was the most frustrating and crippling thing I ever experienced. All that over a frggen toe?

I can't argue until he shows otherwise that there isn't risk, but the reward for what could be this year is a player that could win you a championship. Are you sure you want to miss that train?

It looks like there is a lot of justifying as to why he shouldn't be picked. Based on his performance last year, it is clear he could end up as a top performer. It. Is also clear he has gotten dinged more than his share his first two years. Trend or bad luck? Will it continue? Is he going to be the next Fred Taylor?

To hammer the kid on LAST year, when he has gained muscle and gotten faster THIS year seems like a pointless discussion. Whatever the issues he had with prepping for camp are clearly past him. He works hard, his teammates like him, he has studied a lot of film and worked on his blocking/pass protection, which should keep him on the field more and give him even more opportunity to get touches AND get hurt.

It is a brutal game and after your first full contact practice, you play dinged with something the rest of the year. Each year can be freakish. One season, I seemed to dislocate a finger at least once a week. The next season, just my pinkie once. I didn't miss a start either season. The injuries that keep most these guys off the field are wheel injuries (lower back to the big toe). Most of the other stuff you can play through. The only game I ever missed was with a sprained big toe. Shots, ice, nothing worked. It was the most frustrating and crippling thing I ever experienced. All that over a frggen toe?

I can't argue until he shows otherwise that there isn't risk, but the reward for what could be this year is a player that could win you a championship. Are you sure you want to miss that train?

I would like to think that my championship wouldn't rest on one players hands and if I can sell high after week 3 if he goes off early to better my team then I think that would be the best move until he proves he can hold up a little better....I just don't have faith in him holding up...

I would like to think that my championship wouldn't rest on one players hands and if I can sell high after week 3 if he goes off early to better my team then I think that would be the best move until he proves he can hold up a little better....I just don't have faith in him holding up...

I thought the same thing about Reggie Bush last year after week 1. I was convinced I should sell high. The guy has proven to be less than durable. Yet Bush ended up being quite valuable for teams making a playoff run. In other words, you never know when it comes to the "injury prone" label. For instance, would you sell Andre Johnson high if he has a couple of excellent games to start the year? He's a coin flip to miss significant time every year, right?

I thought the same thing about Reggie Bush last year after week 1. I was convinced I should sell high. The guy has proven to be less than durable. Yet Bush ended up being quite valuable for teams making a playoff run. In other words, you never know when it comes to the "injury prone" label. For instance, would you sell Andre Johnson high if he has a couple of excellent games to start the year? He's a coin flip to miss significant time every year, right?

If I follow my method then I have nothing to worry about....as long as I am getting the player I want in return then I feel good about it...this also depends on if people in my league are even willing to trade...

I have been known to draft a player that others value just so I can trade them because I am not sold (see: Mathews)...I want to do this with Mathews this year and Andre might even be had for decent value this year due to his injury last year and also being a year older...

If I follow my method then I have nothing to worry about....as long as I am getting the player I want in return then I feel good about it...this also depends on if people in my league are even willing to trade...

I have been known to draft a player that others value just so I can trade them because I am not sold (see: Mathews)...I want to do this with Mathews this year and Andre might even be had for decent value this year due to his injury last year and also being a year older...

I think you'd have to draft Matthews in the 1st round this year....if you think he is a player that has a good shot of getting hurt, isn't that a bit of a risk on your part to draft him for the sole purpose of trading him high? I guess what I am trying to say is...with a late first round pick, couldn't you just draft what you want, rather than draft Matthews and trade for it?

I think you'd have to draft Matthews in the 1st round this year....if you think he is a player that has a good shot of getting hurt, isn't that a bit of a risk on your part to draft him for the sole purpose of trading him high? I guess what I am trying to say is...with a late first round pick, couldn't you just draft what you want, rather than draft Matthews and trade for it?

if I am drafting anywhere around 10-12....he might hold the most value at that spot and if he goes off and if I were to trade him, it would be probably after the Saints game week 5...but it's difficult to tell...

he's not exactly a player I am targeting, but if the value is there...then so be it...I hold Mathews and McFadden in the same light and if I am drafting late, with one of them sitting there, I will likely scoop one up but that is without knowing who possibly slips and etc....plus, a lot can change between now and late August anyways..

• 4 weeks later...

I had read in the Battle thread, (and i thought the news was also pertinent in this thread), that Battle posed no threat to Mathews. - but i think the real question here is why did the bolts feel the need to aquire Battle? -that is the threat.

they know that Mathews can't handle 300 carries and a full 16 game schedule?

I had read in the Battle thread, (and i thought the news was also pertinent in this thread), that Battle posed no threat to Mathews. - but i think the real question here is why did the bolts feel the need to aquire Battle? -that is the threat.

Ronnie Brown sucks and you always need a serviceable backup. Battle is a far better backup than Brown. He may get some carries, but there's no way, barring injury to matthews, he serves as anything but a change of pace back.

Ok devils advocate: Which RBs do you identify as making it through the entire season playing every game with lots of carries and missing no time? Aren't all of them a risk? After Foster (who had injury issues last year), who will make it all the way through injury free?

Ronnie Brown sucks and you always need a serviceable backup. Battle is a far better backup than Brown. He may get some carries, but there's no way, barring injury to matthews, he serves as anything but a change of pace back.

...don't forget Brinkely, and McClain,(who has done alot more than Battle), -why do they need so many "servicable back-ups" and "change of pace" backs?......-change that pace up too much and your certainly not talking a top 3 back or one who "eclipses" Ray Rice as has been projected in this thread.

Ok devils advocate: Which RBs do you identify as making it through the entire season playing every game with lots of carries and missing no time? Aren't all of them a risk? After Foster (who had injury issues last year), who will make it all the way through injury free?

very insightful. thank-you.....

As a homer it'll sure be interesting to see who makes the regular season roster. If you count McClain and Baker that's a total of six RB's in camp. I figure at least three will get cut, and I doubt McClain will be one of them.

As a homer it'll sure be interesting to see who makes the regular season roster. If you count McClain and Baker that's a total of six RB's in camp. I figure at least three will get cut, and I doubt McClain will be one of them.

As someone who doesn't follow the Chargers, this by far makes the most sense to me. All these RBs are competing for the backup scraps, especially since most of those names do not inspire confidence.

I was a little taken aback by Kevin Acee's comments on ESPN, maybe a month ago, where he said he didn't think Matthews would ever be able to carry the full RB load. That's a larger red flag to me than bringing in Jackie Battle.

...don't forget Brinkely, and McClain,(who has done alot more than Battle), -why do they need so many "servicable back-ups" and "change of pace" backs?......-change that pace up too much and your certainly not talking a top 3 back or one who "eclipses" Ray Rice as has been projected in this thread.

Mathews=Bellcow

McClain=Fullback/Runningback

Hester=Fullback/Special Teams/Halfback

Brinkley=Runningback/Special teams

Battle=Fullback/Special teams/Runningback

Brown=Runningback.

It's not as if they're bringing in guys to steal carries. McClain, Hester and Brinkley are swiss army backs... They can be full backs, running backs, or pure hell on special teams. Brinkley looked good in a game last year, and we all know that Ronnie Brown was dumpster fire last year. I fail to see your argument here.

And six backs won't make the roster.

Gut feeling about who makes the roster?

Hester and McClain have to be near locks, and I was impressed with Brinkley in his limited action last year.

Mathews=Bust where he will be drafted

McClain=Fullback/Runningback

Hester=Fullback/Special Teams/Halfback

Brinkley=Runningback/Special teams

Battle=Fullback/Special teams/Runningback

Brown=Runningback.

It's not as if they're bringing in guys to steal carries. McClain, Hester and Brinkley are swiss army backs... They can be full backs, running backs, or pure hell on special teams. Brinkley looked good in a game last year, and we all know that Ronnie Brown was dumpster fire last year. I fail to see your argument here.

And six backs won't make the roster.

Fixed :thinking:

McClain will get the GL carries along with any other short yardage situations. He did it at Blt with a better RB in tootin' the rock. Shoot he may get more touches than that when Mathews gets dinged, which will happen.

A. Special teams

B. Fullback

distant C. running back if all hell breaks lose.

He was the RB7 in my leagues last year. He did that while missing time. Give him the extra receptions and not factor in any extra yardage or TDs and he's top 4.

You sound real sold on him, so draft him, I think he will disappoint his owners as he did his first season and even last season the weeks he was a big difference maker for fantasy were fairly scarce. After you draft him and he disappoints I'm sure you'll deny getting sucked into the hype for a player who has so far been a wiff by the Chargers and fantasy owners who burn high picks on him.