[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Mathews, not tough enough?

Obviously he has the appropriate skill set to be a feature back, but questions about durability, ball security, physical toughness, mental toughness, and preparation made him a very risky first rounder. People were more interested in the fact that Tolbert was gone and now Mathews wouldn't lose touches. In reality, Mathews never should have lost touches to an undrafted free agent and in fact wouldn't have if he had the make up to be a feature back but he didn't. Looks like all the lemmings got an early gift as his DNA let him down again :thinking:

Well said Ernie. Someone needs to inform these clams you cannot simply add up all the 'backs stats, extrapolate them over the season and award them to a single back. (the point i was making in then Ingram thread)....-if it was that simple, it would be easy. All Ernie and I are doing here is trusting what our eyes are seeing and not buying into all the hype.-While being proven correct time and time again.

Well said Ernie. Someone needs to inform these clams you cannot simply add up all the 'backs stats, extrapolate them over the season and award them to a single back. (the point i was making in then Ingram thread)....-if it was that simple, it would be easy. All Ernie and I are doing here is trusting what our eyes are seeing and not buying into all the hype.-While being proven correct time and time again.

As usual hook, you took the words right out of my mouth :thinking:

Didn't Colston break his collarbone last year? He only missed two games, so I guess it's possible to return quickly. But Colston didn't have to have surgery did he?

Colston had surgery to stabilize the break.

From the Union Tribune tonight:

One of Ryan Mathew's goals this season is to play every game.

Despite a broken clavicle, that hasn't changed.

The Chargers running back addressed reporters for the first time Sunday evening, offering an optimistic outlook about his recovery from last week's shoulder injury, on which he underwent surgery Friday.

He wore no sling.

He raised his injured right arm to show its mobility.

If not for the bandage that stuck from his Navy blue T-shirt's collar, covering the surgical incision, he looked no worse for the wear.

The team has issued a recovery timetable of four-to-six weeks. He said he thinks he'll be on the field in four weeks for the Chargers' Sept. 10 season opener in Oakland.

"I think I heal pretty fast," Mathews, 24, said. "I think that'll give me time to play against the Raiders. ... I'm happy it happened now than against the Raiders. It's better that it happened now, just to get it out of the way. It gives me a few weeks to recover and get back at it."

Mathews said his doctor gave him three-to-six week timetable.

He plans to continue training as his shoulder heals.

"My legs aren't broken," Mathews said. "I can still do stuff with my legs and everything. It's more just upper body stuff that I'll probably have to shy away from, but my legs work just fine."

Mathews was injured on his first carry of the game against the Packers.

He said he landed wrong at the end of the five-yard run, and once a defender landed on top of him, he knew something was wrong and met with head athletic trainer James Collins on the sideline.

An X-ray revealed the broken clavicle, and he had surgery the next morning.

"You work hard and then something like that happens," Mathews said. "But I figure I'm getting them all out of the way right now, and then I'll have the whole season, a long season, to look forward to. ... It's just something that happens. You've just got to walk away from it, kind of laugh at it, and get better."

• 3 weeks later...

From the Union Tribune tonight:

One of Ryan Mathew's goals this season is to play every game.

Well that is great, but I'd assume it is his and every player's goal to play every game every season.

Not sure I'm buying the Ronnie Brown hype either, after all look at the source (PFT rumor mill)

Well that is great, but I'd assume it is his and every player's goal to play every game every season.

Not sure I'm buying the Ronnie Brown hype either, after all look at the source (PFT rumor mill)

Meh, after swearing I wouldn't take Mathews, only to find myself in a league where everyone else seemed to make the same pledge and allow him to drop to #55, I snapped him up.

Upon reading this, I dropped my 2nd D and took a flyer on Brown. We start 2 RBs minimum and I'm hoping to pair Mathews with Ray Rice most of the year. But, back-ups are J Rodgers, R Jennings, and K Smith and Rodgers is the only one without a very possible short shelf-life due to the return of the planned starter. Taking Brown gives me a shot of having a more long-term solution if Mathews doesn't come back as planned.

Also, SD starts with a nice rushing schedule in the first 6 games. Going by last year's numbers, of course.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering a trade offer, Matthews for Fitz straight up. My RB are week while WR are pretty stacked (start 3 from Calvin, Fitz, Dem Thomas, Moore, Simpson, Barden). I'm leary of Matthews because of the injuries and the fact that he's just not been that great for any long period of time. While Fitz has been a stud for the last 5 years or so.

Not looking for advice, just wondering aloud.

I'm considering a trade offer, Matthews for Fitz straight up. My RB are week while WR are pretty stacked (start 3 from Calvin, Fitz, Dem Thomas, Moore, Simpson, Barden). I'm leary of Matthews because of the injuries and the fact that he's just not been that great for any long period of time. While Fitz has been a stud for the last 5 years or so.

Not looking for advice, just wondering aloud.

I have Mathews in one league, because he lasted until like pick 56 or something and I figured "what the hell?" I'm not super high on Fitz, but I still would rather have him than Mathews.

• 2 months later...