[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obamacare is upheld

wiegie

Wow is right!

We really have a mess a now. As much as Obama said this was not a tax it has been ruled a tax. My guess is many business concerns will react rather swiftly in dropping coverage but time will tell.

While this looks like a win for Obama, I think once the dust settles, the rejection by the court that Congress cannot force medicaid expansion thus allowing state opt outs will ultimately drive federal taxes way up as the Federal government will now have to openly pass massive tax increases to fund. In other words the Federal Government has lost its hammer to force funding by the states and cannot penalize states financially for current programs in place.

It will be interesting to see both the short and long term impacts in the next coming months and years.

Edited by Ice1

My guess is many business concerns will react rather swiftly in dropping coverage but time will tell.

Yep. Businesses with less than 50 people anyway. If you have >50, you have to provide coverage or pay a fine. With the way rates have far outpaced the rate of inflation, I bet many business would have dropped coverage eventually anyway.

But with the protections in the ACA, those who are dropped should be able to find affordable and decent coverage.

A tax, not a mandate. That's how I thought it always should have been approached. Still probably needs a lot of legislative fixing.

While it was sold as something else, it has been consistently argued in court that it really was a tax. A key difference between lawyers and politicians.

“Just because a couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be ‘constitutional’ does not make it so. The whole thing remains unconstitutional. " Rand Paul.

Wow.

Sombody should get Rand a copy of Marbury v. Madison.

• Like 1

as someone who works in disabity insurance and a big block of our business is dental - this scares me tremendously

as someone whose 4 year old daughter would never be able to afford health insurance when she grows up otherwise - this pleases me tremendously.

• Like 2

Yep. Businesses with less than 50 people anyway. If you have >50, you have to provide coverage or pay a fine. With the way rates have far outpaced the rate of inflation, I bet many business would have dropped coverage eventually anyway.

But with the protections in the ACA, those who are dropped should be able to find affordable and decent coverage.

Don't disagree but the key word is SHOULD. The 17% figure thrown out over the last few years was all about the States being forced to set up exchanges pretty much via Medicaid expansion and today these states do not have to and cannot be force to expand these roles. The Federal Government now has zero withholding recourse.

Could be wrong but it sure looks that way.

Meh. I like the fact that someone had the balls to tackle one of the most pressing issues facing the nation today (i.e., health care). I'm uneasy that the economics of the solution won't be understood for years to come. Perhaps the nation as a whole will be better off, or perhaps we're just trading one problem for another. No one really knows and anyone who says otherwise is merely speculating.

• Like 1

as someone whose 4 year old daughter would never be able to afford health insurance when she grows up otherwise - this pleases me tremendously.

Will she be unable to work a full-time job when she grows up?? My wife;s kids apparently cant.

Edited by frenzal rhomb