[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disturbing e-mails could spell more trouble for Penn State officials

Azazello1313

I want to make sure I understand this completely about the NCAA governing authority:

Institutional payments to players to play football: Penalty - "death sentence" for football program.

Institutional cover up of over a decade of rapes of many young boys: 4 year bowl ban and some lost scholarships.

Glad to see the NCAA has once again displayed its magnificent wisdom in governing the game.

• Like 1

I want to make sure I understand this completely about the NCAA governing authority:

Institutional payments to players to play football: Penalty - "death sentence" for football program.

Institutional cover up of over a decade of rapes of many young boys: 4 year bowl ban and some lost scholarships.

Glad to see the NCAA has once again displayed its magnificent wisdom in governing the game.

It is my understanding, through a few sports outlets, that this may in fact be harsher than the death penalty. From what I can glean, the Death Penalty would have in effect only stood for a single season after which point PSU would have been able to re-start their program. Under this penalty they pay a hefty fine, have a 4 year bowl ban, lose 10 scholarships next season and 20 over the rest of the 4 years.

It is my understanding, through a few sports outlets, that this may in fact be harsher than the death penalty. From what I can glean, the Death Penalty would have in effect only stood for a single season after which point PSU would have been able to re-start their program. Under this penalty they pay a hefty fine, have a 4 year bowl ban, lose 10 scholarships next season and 20 over the rest of the 4 years.

Could be... Every single player can transfer without the one year penalty now. Which is fair because they obviously didn't have a thing to do with the cover up. And what competitor worth his salt wants to play if they can't play for a championship and have other options?

IMO, these penalties will affect Penn State for far more than 4 years.

I agree.

But having said that, the real damage IMO was already done to Penn State before a single penalty was handed down. What recruit who had a choice would want to go there anyway? Just to have your name affiliated with Penn State is a negative now. And I'd venture not just in athletics but amongst the general student body as well. Not saying it isn't a great university - it may well be - honestly don't know much about it outside of some of its athletic programs (football and wrestling). The ramifications of this scandal will be felt for years to come by the entire university. I would venture to guess enrollment is down this year, new enrollees and transfers both just because there's likely a good number of students who do not want their degree to say "Penn State" on it.

I agree.

But having said that, the real damage IMO was already done to Penn State before a single penalty was handed down. What recruit who had a choice would want to go there anyway? Just to have your name affiliated with Penn State is a negative now. And I'd venture not just in athletics but amongst the general student body as well. Not saying it isn't a great university - it may well be - honestly don't know much about it outside of some of its athletic programs (football and wrestling). The ramifications of this scandal will be felt for years to come by the entire university. I would venture to guess enrollment is down this year, new enrollees and transfers both just because there's likely a good number of students who do not want their degree to say "Penn State" on it.

Penn is the only decent University there.

Penn is the only decent University there.

Maybe so, which only hurts Penn State even more. How many people can get into an Ivy League school vs. a public university? Not many. So now I'm willing to bet there are a good number of people that will be looking to alternatives to Penn State....... and Penn will not be the primary beneficiary.

I've seen bowl bans at Oklahoma, Auburn, Miami, USC, and Alabama. Merely speed bumps for those programs. I also watched SMU as a national football power have its program neutered completely after getting the death penalty in 1986.

Tell me which enforcement has a history of greater effect on college football programs?

Football analyst Hugh Millen (former NFL QB) was on the radio and said these punishments will put the program back into the stone age and set them back for decades.

Will be interesting to see how many current players transfer. Is there a time frame on when that will start or when a player has to declare or anything? If you get a lot of players to transfer it could really set them way back.

I agree here I think this kills this team and school for a long long time.

Paterno's family neets to GUMMI BEAR already

The release of the Freeh report has triggered an avalanche of vitriol, condemnation and posthumous punishment on Joe Paterno. The NCAA has now become the latest party to accept the report as the final word on the Sandusky scandal. The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best.

That the President, the Athletic Director and the Board of Trustees accepted this unprecedented action by the NCAA without requiring a full due process hearing before the Committee on Infractions is an abdication of their responsibilities and a breach of their fiduciary duties to the University and the 500,000 alumni.

not to worry. y'all will have plenty of opportunity for due process when the victims sue you blind. good luck in court! :tup::moon:

edit: gummi bear = s.t.f.u :lol:

Edited by Azazello1313

Football analyst Hugh Millen (former NFL QB) was on the radio and said these punishments will put the program back into the stone age and set them back for decades.

More like 8 years IMO. Recruiting suffers for the 4 years where there is no bowl eligibility, then slowly bounces back. In 5 years they would be wise to bring in a brand-name coach from another big school to bring back some credibility. They do that, it will be like this never happened.

Interesting story about a top QB prospect that has committed to PSU for next season. He has not made a final decision yet and may still enroll regardless of the sanctions.

Last week as the five-day Elite 11 finals opened, Christian Hackenberg said he would honor his commitment to Penn State unless the NCAA imposed the death penalty.

"At the end of the day," Christian Hackenberg said Wednesday, "if there's football at Penn State, I'm going to be there."

More like 8 years IMO. Recruiting suffers for the 4 years where there is no bowl eligibility, then slowly bounces back. In 5 years they would be wise to bring in a brand-name coach from another big school to bring back some credibility. They do that, it will be like this never happened.

[/size][/font][/color]

This was my first thought also although they will have to manage their football program wisely. I lived through the 1966-67 Pete Elliott Slush Fund scandal at Univ. of Illinois, and it took far longer than 8 years to recover through ineptness by the athletic department there.

while I would have rather seen the "death penalty" here, I think what came down hurts penn state football bad. I don't see them just bouncing back after 8 years or whatever like OU did. I think on some level the brand is forever tarnished. think about how they likely sold themselves to top recruits in the past. now think about how they sell themselves to top recruits going forward. for the foreseeable future it's hard to see them doing much more than plodding along, sucking hind teat in the big-ten-plus-whatever.

I listened to the news conference and the Q/A afterwards.

An important thing for those who wanted the death penalty here ... the committee chair said that if they'd have done the DP, they would have added other constraints, too ... so, presumably, they deemed these penalties, in aggregate, as being at least as severe as the DP.

while I would have rather seen the "death penalty" here, I think what came down hurts penn state football bad. I don't see them just bouncing back after 8 years or whatever like OU did. I think on some level the brand is forever tarnished. think about how they likely sold themselves to top recruits in the past. now think about how they sell themselves to top recruits going forward. for the foreseeable future it's hard to see them doing much more than plodding along, sucking hind teat in the big-ten-plus-whatever.

It will be difficult to quantify to what level their suckiness is due to the scandal/sanctions and how much is due to Paterno being gone. His departure under normal circumstances would certainly be a bump in the road, and potentially a big one if his replacement sucked.

8-10 years from now, IMO their success will be more dictated by their coaching personnel decisions than this scandal. The kids they will be recruiting then are 8-10 years old now. They will still be a Big 10 school with scholarship money to hand out to the top prospects, and the school has always had a hugh following. You know they will make a show of their new oversight/compliance procedures, and insist the culture has changed, and their faithful will eat it up.