[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Future of Retail

The Irish Doggy

Picked up some fresh bird cage liner at lunch today and noticed this article.

Specifically the section on retail stores holding little if any inventory got me thinking. I recently bought a plasma TV at Sears and apparently they had just rolled out the program described in the article. My local store which has been around for decades now carries no HDTV inventory - only floor models (not sure if the program is nationwide). Everything was for display, touch and feel, purposes only. You can either have the TV sent to you for free or pick it up the next day. The difference in price between Sears and the lowest online retailer (Abes I think) was only about $60 once you factored in discount incentives and tax. I was compelled since I'd have a place to return the TV if anything was wrong without paying additional freight and I don't mind paying a little more for a physical place to see a product before buying. The TV was ready for pickup at noon the next day.

I wonder how this plays to the general Huddle public. What say you about this future of retail?

I love that idea. There is plenty of the staples that I'd completely buy that way while sitting in the train station. Not a chance I'm getting produce/meat etc like that, but plenty of other items (cereal, rice/couscous, frozen pizza/fries, yogurts, juices, etc) that would make my real grocery shopping a lot faster

• Like 1

Truck accessories. I sell suspension systems, wheels, tires, toolboxes, campers, tonneau covers, nerf bars, power steps, bed liners, car electronics etc.... Pretty much anything you could want to put on a truck in the aftermarket.

Truck accessories. I sell suspension systems, wheels, tires, toolboxes, campers, tonneau covers, nerf bars, power steps, bed liners, car electronics etc.... Pretty much anything you could want to put on a truck in the aftermarket.

How's the business going?

I know its probably coming but don't like the idea. I do some shopping online, but do like walking into the store, finding the product I like and walking out with it (well after I pay).

The clothes fitting thing sounds interesting, but wonder how accurate it can be. Are those shoes a little tight on my wide feet? Are those pants a little tight in various spots? Let alone women who may have much bigger issue trusting some technology to tell them how a new dress looks on them.

I understand the issues in keeping product on the shelves, and how that can impact a business and their costs.

I know its probably coming but don't like the idea. I do some shopping online, but do like walking into the store, finding the product I like and walking out with it (well after I pay).

The clothes fitting thing sounds interesting, but wonder how accurate it can be. Are those shoes a little tight on my wide feet? Are those pants a little tight in various spots? Let alone women who may have much bigger issue trusting some technology to tell them how a new dress looks on them.

I understand the issues in keeping product on the shelves, and how that can impact a business and their costs.

I like good clothes and shoes but I still buy most of my clothes on-line from Sierra Trading. The prices are really low to begin with and I get e-mail coupons daily that discount them further or waive shipping. Returns are easy and cost $6 per box.

So, I just order a ton of stuff at a time and hang on to what I'm going to send back until I've gotten another order (or my wife has) and put it all in one big box.

Not much for impulse buys or if I need something right away, but I don't buy clothes seasonally. I buy what looks good when it's on sale, so the timing rarely matters.

As far as shoes are concerned, you should check out Zappos. Free overnight shipping both ways.

stores are having to consider a lot of things in the current state of our economy and less product sitting in the stores, the better....I guess they prefer to only carry (temporarily) what has already been purchased...

and it's funny you mention Sears, because the Sears.com website is more like an Amazon.com knock-off with the possibility of picking up certain items in the store...but there are a ton of online retailers that sell through the Sears.com website...

everyone is leaning more and more to online only and it is sad to see imo..

With regards to grocery stores only ...This would work for me when it comes to items that do not have an expiration date on it, like detergents, zip lock bags, etc. However, produce, meats and items with expiration dates on them I would rather pick myself. I guess the future could lead to more specialized stores like fresh meat and produce only stores for those who insist on quality.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

We need “smart” pantry shelves in our homes that are stocked with non-perishable items (toilet paper, paper towel, deodorant, etc). When particular items start to get depleted the program scours the internet for the best prices, places the order, and has the items shipped to your house.

Somebody get on that.

Edited by SayItAintSoJoe

do you sell duece and a half parts? Did you get it?

No, and not yet. I'm repairing an axle on my Ranger. Once it is repaired I may have a buddy buying it for cash. If he buys it, I'm going to pass on the duece. If he doesn't buy it, I'll probably make the trade.

• Like 1

I went to Macy's to buy some backyard furniture last weekend. Great sale prices, so I sprung for it. They let me know yesterday (after I paid) that it's back ordered and won't be delivered until September 22.

While I still want to go to the store to sit my ass down in something before I buy it, in this particular instance there really wasn't much difference in buying in person instead of buying on line.

We need “smart” pantry shelves in our homes that are stocked with non-perishable items (toilet paper, paper towel, deodorant, etc). When particular items start to get depleted the program scours the internet for the best prices, places the order, and has the items shipped to your house.

Somebody get on that.

That is actually a very interesting, and plausible, idea.

Perfect! My Nerf football has been asking me for a good place to go drink...

There are apps that can be used to inventory your pantry, remove when use, and create shopping lists.

That's a manual system (unless the app can recognize when the item has been removed and reduce my inventory).

He wants something more hevily automated. I'm sure it can be done. But is it practical, useful, and most important CAN IT MAKE MONEY.