[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Latest in a long line of lame things done by NC ABC

detlef

This is technically a rumor, but from a very reliable source.

So, they decided bitters are now something that only they can carry. For the longest time, bitters was able to avoid liquor status provided it was bitter enough that you wouldn't just drink it by itself. Sort of like vanilla extract. That stuff is like 70 proof but you can buy it in grocery stores because it's way to gnarly to just have a glass of.

So, no more bitters on the shelves...anywhere, actually because they've also decided to not bother carrying either all or virtually all of the bitters that were formerly available in the state.

Basically, they seized all the product from all the distributors but, at the same time, decided that they don't actually want to be in the business of selling it. So, now, nobody is. They've essentially outlawed bitters.

It remains to be seen whether or not I can legally purchase bitters from out of state sources to use at my bars. However, I can't imagine that's gonna fly.

The beer/wine/homebrew store I work at just opened up a store in Alabama, and got freaking raided at gunpoint and got all their homebrew stuff confiscated,because homebrewing is still technically illegal there, even though selling it is legal. Here's the full story:

Do you need any proof that Alabama legislature is a backwards thinking? Read on.

My good friend Kraig Torres founded Hop City a few years ago in Atlanta, Georgia. The store sells 1,800+ beers, wine, and homebrewing supplies. Not to mention a 60+ growler station. Hop City is ranked among the best beer stores on planet earth on RateBeer.com Building upon his great success, Kraig decided to open a second location in Birmingham, Alabama. Recent law changes make Birmingham a great place for a second Hop City.

Kraig has received all the necessary permits to open except for one – the liquor license from the Alabama Beverage Commission. Kraig applied for this license, and with it, provided a floor plan. In the floor plan, he included an area for home brewing supplies. Home brewing is illegal in Alabama, but selling the ingredients is not. Kraig and his lawyer have done extensive diligence on the matter.

Yesterday (Thursday), ARMED ABC agents raided Hop City Birmingham, and confiscated books on home brewing, grain, wort chillers, and more. The agents threatened to arrest his store manager because he harbored materials used to make beer. The ABC Agents loaded up a van with $7,000 of Kraig’s inventory, stating they would be back the next day for the rest. Every single grain, hop, and carboy has to be out of the Hop City Birmingham location before a license will be granted.

Kraig tells me that his opening will now be delayed, until his license can be granted. ”I’m being held hostage by the ABC board.”

Sound off. What are your thoughts on armed men confiscating books on brewing? Bagging hops and grain like it’s cocaine?

UPDATE 9/22/12. 9 AM: The agents were armed. Whether the guns were drawn, or pointed at employees is up for contention.

But the soda ban in NY is not lame??

There is no soda ban, nor will there be one any time in our lifetimes. There is a proposed cap on the size of sodas in NY and something that I've repeatedly said I'm not exactly a fan of but simply don't have my panties twisted as tightly about as some here.

In this case, the state has decided that nobody but them is allowed to sell it but, by the way, they're not really interested in selling it either.

So, despite the relatively small scope of influence this "ban" would have, the circle jerk makes it particularly inane.

why can't you just buy it "for yourself" and "leave it" at the restaurants?

Same reason I can't buy un-stamped liquor from sources other than the ABC and serve them there. It is fair to guess that any bitters sold now would have an ABC tax stamp on them and would fall under the same category as booze. Which means, I could get fined for having them on-site the same way I could for having un-stamped bottles of booze.

Prior to this, bitters were essentially a grocery item, so it didn't matter. Now, apparently, they're not.

Same reason I can't buy un-stamped liquor from sources other than the ABC and serve them there. It is fair to guess that any bitters sold now would have an ABC tax stamp on them and would fall under the same category as booze. Which means, I could get fined for having them on-site the same way I could for having un-stamped bottles of booze.

Prior to this, bitters were essentially a grocery item, so it didn't matter. Now, apparently, they're not.

ahh, didn't know about the stamp thing