[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bench points is a stupid tiebreaker

matt770

So we're rewarding teams that leave the most points on the bench? How asinine. What a ridiculous way to lose your first game of the season. I hate fantasy football.

How does your league decide ties?

We used to use bench points as a tie breaker long ago. Now we just allow ties. They have ties in the NFL too. (We do have some complex procedure for breaking a tie in the playoffs). Ties count (just like in the NFL) as a 1/2 win and 1/2 loss. A record of 4-4-2 is the same as 5-5.

Assuming you knew this rule going in, what's the big deal? Sure it always sucks to lose a close game.

Besides didn't you get BB's memo yesterday, there's no whining in fantasy football.

It should be coaching efficiency, in other words whichever team has a lower difference between the started lineup and the optimal lineup. At least that is based on merit instead of something random like which RB scored the most or bench points which actually rewards bad lineups.

Use decimal point scoring. It eliminates 99.9% off ties. :shades:

I'm not in a position to influence how the league is run unfortunately. I come here to whine and bitch about it, as it is my understanding that is the purpose of this forum.

• Like 2

Prefer to simply allow ties during the regular season.

Making it too random (ie QB points, highest scoring player, etc.), rewarding possibly poor owner decisions (most bench points, highest scoring bench player, etc.) or even using something that is sort of merit based but can be manipulated such as coaching efficiency are all poor options in my opinion.

Prefer to simply allow ties during the regular season.

Making it too random (ie QB points, highest scoring player, etc.), rewarding possibly poor owner decisions (most bench points, highest scoring bench player, etc.) or even using something that is sort of merit based but can be manipulated such as coaching efficiency are all poor options in my opinion.

How can coaching efficiency be manipulated? It's a simple percentage based on starting lineup vs. optimal lineup.

I hate fantasy football.

Yeah we talked about that Sun/Mon over here

I'm not in a position to influence how the league is run unfortunately. I come here to whine and bitch about it, as it is my understanding that is the purpose of this forum.

Nope, see the thread I linked above, whining about FF is not allowed.

How can coaching efficiency be manipulated? It's a simple percentage based on starting lineup vs. optimal lineup.

Not exactly manipulated, but if your bench sucks, all the players are banged up or inactive, you get a good coaching efficiency, but only becase nobody on your bench is scoring.

If you want to manipulate your coaching efficiency, only carry 1 K and 1 D (you automatically get 100% at those spots), you could also carry just 1 TE and 1 QB to also boost your efficiency.

Not saying it is ideal roster management, but it can be done to affect your coaching percent.

Also, as stevegrab said, it can also be indicative of having a very poor roster with no depth and actually punishes those that have done a better job of drafting and managing their roster.

If you want to manipulate your coaching efficiency, only carry 1 K and 1 D (you automatically get 100% at those spots), you could also carry just 1 TE and 1 QB to also boost your efficiency.

Not saying it is ideal roster management, but it can be done to affect your coaching percent.

Also, as stevegrab said, it can also be indicative of having a very poor roster with no depth and actually punishes those that have done a better job of drafting and managing their roster.

+1

It should be coaching efficiency, in other words whichever team has a lower difference between the started lineup and the optimal lineup. At least that is based on merit instead of something random like which RB scored the most or bench points which actually rewards bad lineups.

If they could still tie you with a less than optimal lineup, doesn't that still indicate a stronger team that week?

BTW, we actually just had the first tie I've ever seen with decimal scoring in YODT. No tie-breakers during the regular season (stands as a tie), but bench points is the first tie-breaker in the playoffs.

Not a perfect solution, but like BC said, "coaching effeciency" only stands to hurt someone who's accumulated a stacked bench and helps the team with less depth.... I mean, is it better to reward the team who had so many good choices that they might not have chosen the best ones, or the one with so few good choices that their lineup practically sets itself?

And of course this is not to mention the teams who do set an optimal lineup, but still have a stacked bench who are penalized for it.

Edited by delusions of grandeur