[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This forum

Czarina

I have said it before but I think social media (twitter, facebook etc) is a contributing factor to message boards seeing a decline...and fwiw, it isn't just this one, others are seeing and feeling it too.

Undoubtedly true...although ironically, message boards allow us to meet new friends to become FB friends with. FB doesn't do that by itself.

Politics will suck the life out of us so I 100% support it being a none touchable issue. The important issues will still float around here and that is what we have to get back to.

I agree with you to a certain extent on the politics issue. However, I hate cut and dry rules that fail to apply common sense in how they are implemented. When you take the time to become a contributor to an on-line message board community such as this one you expect to be able to discuss the biggest news story of the day. Whether that story is the George Zimmerman case, the God-awful shootings in Colorado, or the presidential debate. The morning after the presidential debate, the debate was the biggest news story going. It was being talked about everywhere. Just like the day after the upcoming election that will be the biggest news story going. To say that it can’t be discussed on a message board that many people frequent daily because there is this loosely defined “no political discussions” rule is downright silly. So no, I don’t have a problem with not being allowed to discuss the latest bill being held up in the Senate, but not being able to discuss something that everyone else in America is currently talking about is dumb, IMO.

I agree with you to a certain extent on the politics issue. However, I hate cut and dry rules that fail to apply common sense in how they are implemented. When you take the time to become a contributor to an on-line message board community such as this one you expect to be able to discuss the biggest news story of the day. Whether that story is the George Zimmerman case, the God-awful shootings in Colorado, or the presidential debate. The morning after the presidential debate, the debate was the biggest news story going. It was being talked about everywhere. Just like the day after the upcoming election that will be the biggest news story going. To say that it can’t be discussed on a message board that many people frequent daily because there is this loosely defined “no political discussions” rule is downright silly. So no, I don’t have a problem with not being allowed to discuss the latest bill being held up in the Senate, but not being able to discuss something that everyone else in America is currently talking about is dumb, IMO.

I agree with this (although I think we ought to be able to discuss pretty much anything). With all due respect to Cliaz, I think it is better to have a forum where people are arguing about H.R. 2961 in addition to the threads about midgets pooping than to just have a forum about midgets pooping.

I would see the point if there were only one forum on these boards and the powers-that-be wanted to keep the focus on football there... that makes sense. But the political stuff doesn't (usually) filter over onto the other boards and so they are still "pure".

Yes, there are some idiotic trolls who come and post nonsense and are quick to engage in name-calling (typically because they have no other ammunition to back up their points), but overall, it's generally no too hard to get past the nonsense and read the reasonable posts.

As for the old-timers needing to post more, I am usually too busy to just post about anything and my fear is that if I take the time to post about something that is potentially important, that it will just get deleted. Therefore, it's usually just not worth the effort to post in many cases.

It's people like stevegrab that have killed the funny in this place

Well, he, square, irish, waterman, mm, you get the point.

When did I get thrown in with the riffraff? I'd call you a cunt, but you lack the warmth and depth.

:D

• Like 2

Personally, I don't think topics of discussion involving politics should be limited. What can and should be policed however in a limited manner is over the top personal attacks. If someone is trolling and constantly trying to get under someone's skin there is really no need for that here. If you're light heartedly calling someone an idiot for having a certain political viewpoint, that's another thing all together and pretty harmless in my opinion.

Personally, I don't think topics of discussion involving politics should be limited. What can and should be policed however in a limited manner is over the top personal attacks. If someone is trolling and constantly trying to get under someone's skin there is really no need for that here. If you're light heartedly calling someone an idiot for having a certain political viewpoint, that's another thing all together and pretty harmless in my opinion.

Shut yer pie-hole, jackass.

When did I get thrown in with the riffraff? I'd call you a c#nt, but you lack the warmth and depth.

:D

:ROFL:Lack the warmth and depth... hilarious.

I'm gonna use that subbing pooozy for the c word. Just not into using that.

But the phrase itself is awesome.

:tup:

Edited by cre8tiff

As a relatively new member around here, I was pretty shocked to find political threads or threads where politics were injected being blown up and deleted. That is really sad given politics is a big part of discussions on a myriad of topics.

My take is simple, if we have a Photography thread of all things then why not have a political thread, We are adults and the qualifier can be enter at your own risk.

Obviously if one hates the banter or even the arguments then don't go to the thread. Sites with draconian rules lose membership.

The site is pretty good IMO and even though a few members seemed to go out of their way to run me off early claiming I was someone else or hated that I am conservative from a political perspective, it was not a big issue.

Deleting posts when simple solutions are available does show a weakness in site management but then again that is just my opinion. Several good threads have been deleted by the internet police around here and that is one reason I personally spend less and less time at this site.

I do agree that social media is a huge factor but then again these type of sites need to figure out how to provide members what they want. Photography, while cool and all is not the only answer.

Edited by Ice1

Big Show: +5.0

• Big Show’s lead widened to 5 points from 2 points on Tuesday, as he continues to chip away at key Shamus support.
    • Big Show’s edge among independents widened to 20 points from 18 just a day before.
      • Shamus lead among women narrowed from 10 points to 8 points.
        • Big Show also continues to make inroads among middle-class voters, moving from a 6-point lead against Shamus with this group to a 10-point lead.
          • The current data include only polls taken after Big Shows’s resounding debate win over Shamus on Oct. 3.
          • Hell in the Cell is scheduled in about 3 weeks.
          • The Miz and C.M. Punk square off tomorrow night with Micheal Cole as the moderator.

Read More At IBD: http://news.investors.com/special-report/508415-ibdtipp-poll.aspx#ixzz28wI2dnpM