[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Elvis Dumervil

Shorttynaz

Fax machine snafu? Are the Broncos using rotary dial telephones, pagers, 5 1/4" floppy disks and 8-track tape players too?

Edited by Wolverines Fan
  • Like 1

This really has me thinking. The story is, if Dumervil did not restructure his deal by 4:00p EST, he was on the books for $12MM this year. The Bronco's gave him a deadline of 3:00p EST to get his signed paperwork into them. With his contract on the books, this would have put them over the cap (I believe). From what I've been reading, Dumervil's camp contacted the Broncos at 3:25p EST and said they're willing to restructure and he's going to sign the new deal. But the signed paperwork wasn't sent until 4:07p EST.

What if Dumervil's camp tried to play stupid - in order to buy time so that maybe this would happen, hoping the Broncos wouldn't have cut him and paid him his $12MM this year instead of taking a $4MM pay cut?

Kind of far fetched, but possible..

• Like 1

This really has me thinking. The story is, if Dumervil did not restructure his deal by 4:00p EST, he was on the books for $12MM this year. The Bronco's gave him a deadline of 3:00p EST to get his signed paperwork into them. With his contract on the books, this would have put them over the cap (I believe). From what I've been reading, Dumervil's camp contacted the Broncos at 3:25p EST and said they're willing to restructure and he's going to sign the new deal. But the signed paperwork wasn't sent until 4:07p EST.

What if Dumervil's camp tried to play stupid - in order to buy time so that maybe this would happen, hoping the Broncos wouldn't have cut him and paid him his $12MM this year instead of taking a $4MM pay cut?

I was thinking the same thing. What if this was some type of strategic move by Dumervil and his agent to get him to become a FA. If everything was agreed to, submitting the paperwork should be the easiest thing to do. It just seems too "convenient" that now instead of taking what DEN could afford to give him, he is now free to sign anywhere for the max he can get....simply because the paperwork wasn't received on time.

"Fax machine snafu". Hopefully that's an $8MM fax machine, cause that's what it just cost someone! :shocking:

Some poor admin assistant is getting an earful and you know it's probably not even their fault.

Fax machine snafu? Are the Broncos using rotary dial telephones, pagers, 5 1/4" floppy disks and 8-track tape players too?

seriously?!?!

doesn't everybody just scan it and send an email? I've never trusted fax machines

You could be right here.

This sounds so childish it has to be true. The fax machine business is complete garbage. Either his agent was intentionally trying to muck the deadline as you say, or he was simultaneously testing the waters with other teams for better offers and when things looked favorable for his client he slowrolled it.

Hope the Jets make a move for this guy.

LoL! And do what with him? Have him play QB, WR, RB, etc? Why would dumerville sign on to play on a glorified High School team?

The reason for the fax machines is signatures for a valid contract and agreement can be proved a the league office immediately. They then mail a copy with original signatures that is legally binding to the league office later. Both sides screwed up. Dumervil was not going to get $8M in this market where everyone is getting $6-7M only so actually it was a good deal for both sides.

The reason for the fax machines is signatures for a valid contract and agreement can be proved a the league office immediately. They then mail a copy with original signatures that is legally binding to the league office later. Both sides screwed up. Dumervil was not going to get $8M in this market where everyone is getting $6-7M only so actually it was a good deal for both sides.

You can do the same thing with a scan and email

Who was the agent?

ETA: And don't tell me that Google is my friend, as so is laziness at times.

Edited by irish
  • Like 1