Sign in to follow this  
Wolverines Fan

Gronkowski looking very doubtful for Week 1

Per rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Insiders Monday that "it's not realistic" to expect Rob Gronkowski (back) to play in Week 1 against the Bills.

We've considered Gronkowski "doubtful" for Week 1 all along. Now the decision will come down to whether Gronk should go on the reserve/PUP list, which would cost him the first six games of the season.

The Patriots don't have to make that call for another few weeks.

Look for Zach Sudfeld to flirt with TE1 fantasy value for as long as Gronkowski is out. Gronkowski is still worth considering in the third and fourth rounds of fantasy drafts because he's a massive week-to-week difference maker whenever he dresses.

Took Sudfeld in the 12 round of my local last Saturday. Liking the chances he may be a decent TE contributor even if Gronk comes back.

Eh. When have the Pats been forthcoming with injury news?

Granted, this is a special case considering all the backstory with the arm and the back issues, but I'm not changing my stance on the guy. Sure, I just took him in the 3rd round of an IDP redraft, but still.... I wouldn't be shocked if he made serious improvements over the next 2-3 weeks and started week 1.

That said, I also won't be shocked if he's on the shelf to start the season.

Because its the Pats, he's either good to go week 1 or OUT for the year, there is no in between.

A source tells the Boston Herald that Rob Gronkowski's (back surgery) rehab is "right on schedule" for a mid-September return.

The source adds that Gronkowski is "healed and advanced to the point he would be close to playing Week 1." He's suffered zero setbacks, and the "realistic" time frame for Gronkowski to be back in "football shape" would be "around Week 3." The Patriots have been "doing their best to hold him back," and ESPN reported earlier Monday that it'd be a "huge stretch" to think Gronkowski would play in the opener. All signs point to Gronk avoiding the reserve/PUP list to start the season.

Per Rotoworld.

Talk around Boston all summer is that it would be foolish for the Pats to bring him back before mid-September. I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see him start the year on the PUP list.

Talk around Boston all summer is that it would be foolish for the Pats to bring him back before mid-September. I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see him start the year on the PUP list.

Agreed. I think week 3 is the most optimistic that you could be and the realistic bet is week 6.

My question is not when he comes back, but what his next injury is going to be. So talented, so brittle.

Edited by Tripleshot

I'm hearing the same thing in regard to a week 3 return against the Bucs.

My question is not when he comes back, but what his next injury is going to be. So talented, so brittle.

Agreed. Why not draft Gronk + Sudfeld? Grab Gronk in the 6th + Sudfeld in the 12th?

Agreed. Why not draft Gronk + Sudfeld? Grab Gronk in the 6th + Sudfeld in the 12th?

Gronk should never fall to the 6th and if that happens, draft him and laugh hysterically.

I don't think anyone expected Gronk to be ready for week 1. I was hoping for week 3.

I don't think anyone expected Gronk to be ready for week 1. I was hoping for week 3.

Exactly.

I was a little irrationally hopeful he would be, however, I can be that way sometimes.

I heard a sports reporter on the Boston sports talk radio station say tonight that Gronk looks significantly lighter than his playing weight, like maybe as much as 30lbs lighter. He hasn't been in the weight room for months, or so they say. He's a long ways away from ready, if this guy is right.

Gronk should never fall to the 6th and if that happens, draft him and laugh hysterically.

Somehow got Gronk in the 7th and also ended up with Jerod Cook and Sudfield. I couldn't be more pleased

Somehow got Gronk in the 7th and also ended up with Jerod Cook and Sudfield. I couldn't be more pleased

Wow! Incredible!

Week and a half ago I got Gronk at 7.5 in a 10 team 2QB, 2TE, 11 IDPs league. I could tell as the draft went on that I wasn't exactly dealing with a draft room full of Huddle members you could say, so I knew I could likely wait on Sudfeld. Got Sud on the 285th pick, second to last round!

Unfortunatley Fleener is my other TE. Seemed like a great score way back then, heh.

Snagged Witten, Benett (Chicago homer within a chicago league), and Sudfeld last night.

Too many tight ends obviously but I am going to hold on to Sudfeld to see how the season unfolds for Gronk.

Snagged Witten, Benett (Chicago homer within a chicago league), and Sudfeld last night.

Too many tight ends obviously but I am going to hold on to Sudfeld to see how the season unfolds for Gronk.

I have the Witten/Bennett combo in a league and like it alot. You know that Witten is going to be Steady Eddie and Bennett has a lot of upside with the new offense in Chicago. Sudfield too has a lot of upside with Gronk iffy and Hernandez about to become someone's beeyotch in the tank. You can turn one (or perhaps both) of those TEs around after Witten's bye and land yourself an upgrade at another position. That's what I plan on doing, especially if I am able to snare a waiver wire gem at TE.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL Insiders that the Patriots are "putting out feelers" about available tight ends.

:thinking:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL Insiders that the Patriots are "putting out feelers" about available tight ends.

:thinking:

cause Ballard and Fells suck

Gronkowski is looking very doubtful to see any of my fantasy teams this year. Well, he may see one - but he'll be playing against me, not for me. This guy is a stud, but I'm no longer sold on that offense with an injury prone (and already injured) Amendola, and Gronk just simply can't stay healthy. I'll let someone else take the high risk/reward on him..