[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do Kickers Make or Break a Team?

Grenaid

I'm sure we all have similar scoring when it comes to Kickers, such as 1 point when it's a 10-19 yard kick, 2 points for 20-29 and so on all the way to 50+ yarders being 5 points. But is anybody else in here bold enough to not even start them and just use the extra roster space for QB/WR/RB flex options or anything else like that?

I'm sure we all have similar scoring when it comes to Kickers, such as 1 point when it's a 10-19 yard kick, 2 points for 20-29 and so on all the way to 50+ yarders being 5 points. But is anybody else in here bold enough to not even start them and just use the extra roster space for QB/WR/RB flex options or anything else like that?

Not starting a kicker is missing out on 5-11 points per game, so it would be kind of pointless in my opinion. I have never not started a kicker, but I have drafted an entire team without choosing one once. I weeded out someone before week one and it gave me the chance to look at other players I wasn't sure about in later rounds. I usually never draft backup TEs and sometimes I pass on taking a backup QB. That's what I'll do if I really want extra roster space for 6 or 7 RBs.

Making your bench stronger by making your lineup weaker, sounds like a winning strategy.

No, kickers don't matter, last I checked, unless you correctly picked the one stud, it mattered very little.... Unless you're the one guy who got too cute and decided not to play any one of them. In that case, yes it matters.

Do you expect to make up that 5-10 points a game with great depth? Maybe if you're in an 8 man league with 3 bench spots, but for the rest of us...

They only make or break your team if you take them with anything other than your final draft pick.

In other words, don't pass on Stevie Johson in Round 8 to grab Gostowski. I'm seeing that alot this year.

Not picking up a kicker to take a zero each weak to strengthen your bench is dumb and cheesy.

If kickers average 8-10 points or so in your league, you are basically starting off down 8-0 for each match-up before you even start. And count how many match-ups end up being decided by less than 10 points in your league each season. It's a pretty high percentage in my leagues.

I'm not willing to give my opponent that kind of edge.

• Like 1

Kickers are pure luck factor. Some games they get 4 long FGs and some they get 2 lousy XPs. At least with other positions you can strategize matchups. About the only thing you can do strategically with a kicker is get one kicking in good weather or indoor.

It's just tough when your entire bench has decent players that would be picked up in a second when put into the WW. Right now I don't have a kicker and I generally make room for one, but sometimes it sucks when I know I could have another option at RB or WR. Thanks for the advice though gents.

Kickers are pure luck factor. Some games they get 4 long FGs and some they get 2 lousy XPs. At least with other positions you can strategize matchups. About the only thing you can do strategically with a kicker is get one kicking in good weather or indoor.

While I don't totally disagree, I think more research can go into selecting a kicker than just blindly throwing a dart and claiming it's all luck.

You're on the right track with the "good weather" or "indoor" kicker. How about a kicker who not only kicks in good weather/in a dome at home but also on the road? Analyze the schedules.

How about taking a kicker on a higher-octane offense that has trouble scoring in the red zone? That would most certainly yield more FG chances, no?

You know it must be the week before the season when we're bantering about kickers. :lol:

While I don't totally disagree, I think more research can go into selecting a kicker than just blindly throwing a dart and claiming it's all luck.

You're on the right track with the "good weather" or "indoor" kicker. How about a kicker who not only kicks in good weather/in a dome at home but also on the road? Analyze the schedules.

How about taking a kicker on a higher-octane offense that has trouble scoring in the red zone? That would most certainly yield more FG chances, no?

You know it must be the week before the season when we're bantering about kickers. :lol:

I understand that all of these factor help tell you how a kicker is going to do but the simple fact is kickers are hard to predict from year to year. If based on talent (like at QB, RB, or WR) several kicker look great. They can hit 50+ yd FGs, have great leg strength and can kick for days. The fact is opportunities don't always present themselves. Either they are on a good team that doesn't stall in the red zone or on a bad team that can't get into FG range.

Because of this it makes them extremely hard to predict. You can't tell how many opportunities a kicker will get, at what range or how many PATs they will have. I personally count on my kicker for 10 pts a week (depending on the scoring format) and if he is able to meet or get close to that total I keep him if not I pick a kicker off the WW that I think will.

Wise words. Any player that scores appreciably more than most of the others at his position is valuable. All a championship owner needs to be is be smart enough to pick and start those guys. Taking a 0 on kicker each week to carry a 5th string WR? Good luck with that.

I might risk a zero in the K slot during a bye week if I'm not comfortable messing up my roster and dropping a valuable reserve player. Depends on the matchups. But not over the course of a season. Depth means absolutely nothing if your reserves are only scoring points for your bench week after week and you're losing games by 8-10 points.

It's just tough when your entire bench has decent players that would be picked up in a second when put into the WW. Right now I don't have a kicker and I generally make room for one, but sometimes it sucks when I know I could have another option at RB or WR. Thanks for the advice though gents.

If you have that much marketable value on your bench, find an owner lacking at a couple of the positions, take two of your bench spots, and trade for one better one. That way you don't just lose the value to the ww.

If you have that much marketable value on your bench, find an owner lacking at a couple of the positions, take two of your bench spots, and trade for one better one. That way you don't just lose the value to the ww.

Probably the best thing to do at this point honestly. Our draft was almost 3 weeks ago and our WW hasn't even opened up yet. Meanwhile Thompkins and Alshon Jeffrey sit on the WW and I still need a kicker. But I definitely agree with you in trading players to open up spots. MY MAN!