[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NFL sucks now

Chief Dick

Watching the games this year so far, and the penalties are making the game literally unwatchable. The NFL has now officially jumped the shark.

If this continues to the season, the NFL is done. At least for me anyway. And I love the Chiefs, but this is ridiculous.

It's as if they want the WRs to run free all day long without so much as a slight impedance. That is not football. It's 7 on 7 drills in practice. You won't be able to play defense as a CB or Safety if this keeps up. As good as the Pro WR is in this league with the rules this year they should be able to catch balls all day long like from a juggs machine. It's really unfair to the HOFers that made their stats against DBs that could be physical and linebackers that owned the middle of the field. The history and records are going to be truly tainted.

• Like 2

i haven't been watching much preseason but it would be disappointing to see this carry over to the regular season. Was there a problem that they're trying to fix? Just trying to generate more offense for higher scoring games? Too many people whining about the Seahawks D?

They are just trying to install the rules into the minds of the players now when it doesn't matter that much. No way they will allow regular season games become a yellow flag festival. I mean outside of Dallas and Oakland games.

I follow John Clayton regularly(the guy is next to God when it comes to the NFL). He points out whenever there is a big rule change like this, they always call it super tight in the preseason to get the point across. Then once the regular season starts, they don't call it nearly as much, as everyone has had 4 preseason games to learn what can and can't be done now. He even had stats to back it up, and you'd be surprised at the results. They will still call it more often, but it won't be with anywhere near the frequency it has been in the preseason.

This surely can't be because of the Super Bowl. That was the first game the Broncos played a legit defense all year and they just weren't prepared for it.

• Like 3

It's as if they want the WRs to run free all day long without so much as a slight impedance. That is not football. It's 7 on 7 drills in practice. You won't be able to play defense as a CB or Safety if this keeps up. As good as the Pro WR is in this league with the rules this year they should be able to catch balls all day long like from a juggs machine. It's really unfair to the HOFers that made their stats against DBs that could be physical and linebackers that owned the middle of the field. The history and records are going to be truly tainted.

Not just the secondary either. The D-lines are getting called a ton for illegal use of hands as well. The worst thing is, either of those penalties are an automatic first down and just like holding on the offensive line, that stuff could get called on the D almost every single play.

+1 to the specific points and the general feeling of this thread.

The NFL used to be about the game of football - now more than ever it's about marketing a product. The game is more than popular enough. Please take the time to honor the history of the game and its players. This is what your real fans are most interested in.

What do you expect? By hook or by crook the NFL insists on Peyton Manning winning another Super Bowl.

Don't kill the messenger!

No I am not seriously, I just hate Peyton Manning with a passion!

Edited by Papajohn

Penalties are flagged when cheaters are caught doing something against the rules. Don't encourage cheaters. :innocent:

This is the point if the problem IMO. A receiver can run into a linebacker that is standing his ground and get a flag thrown at that linebacker. Refs are going to call penalties if they don't see the play instead of the other way around.

Tripleshot is spot on. This is not the first preseason in which I've seen a new/emphasized rule being over enforced. The big one this year is the "illegal hands to the face". This is not something just being called against the defense. Offensive lineman have been flagged for this repeatedly this preseason.

The change (not really a change as much as something they are emphasizing) in this rule is as much about the NFL trying to cover its butt over head injuries as anything. They are doing everything they can to say they are taking every precaution to protect the players to help themselves down the line against potential lawsuits.

Edited by sausagekingchi

I follow John Clayton regularly(the guy is next to God when it comes to the NFL). He points out whenever there is a big rule change like this, they always call it super tight in the preseason to get the point across. Then once the regular season starts, they don't call it nearly as much, as everyone has had 4 preseason games to learn what can and can't be done now. He even had stats to back it up, and you'd be surprised at the results. They will still call it more often, but it won't be with anywhere near the frequency it has been in the preseason.

This surely can't be because of the Super Bowl. That was the first game the Broncos played a legit defense all year and they just weren't prepared for it.

I don't get how rules can be "hard" in pre-season and "soft" during the regular season. Essentially you are interjecting the subjectivity of the referees into the game when you ask them to "soften" the enforcement of the penalties.

Time for shutdown corners, etc, to return to playing within the rules. Straightforward enough .. Enough with the illegal contact, it's gonna get called .. as long as they call the push off on the WR/TE as well, it'll re-level the playing field.

• Like 1

What do you expect? By hook or by crook the NFL insists on Peyton Manning winning another Super Bowl.

:cough:

tuck rule

:cough:

• Like 1

Browns-Redskins was the first preseason game I watched completely and paid attention. Wow there was a lot of penalties for defensive holding and illegal contact.

What bugged me (and seemed strange) is several times it was called when the QB took off and ran, and the penalty was tacked on (the 5 yards) and the automatic first down. Maybe its always been that way, but the penalties were rarely called when it wasn't a pass play (or on a completed pass).

Looks at papajohn's profile:

Fan of the: Patriots

:fool:

Edited by troublez
  • Like 1