[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"James' burst is back"

Avernus

Colts | James' Burst is Back - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:10:03 -0700

John Oehser, of Colts.com, reports Indianapolis Colts' players are raving about RB Edgerrin James performance thus far in training camp, saying he looks as good or better than he did before suffering a major knee injury in October 2001. "He's primed," TE Marcus Pollard said. "He's just so ready. There are times he'll tell me, 'Watch me in this practice, or check this out.' It's impressive to watch. Very impressive."

my gut tells me they are crying wolf..but that's just me....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very happy drafting 8th or 9th and taking James...

341444[/snapback]

Me too Loaf. I like James a lot this year. I thought he started looking like the James of old towards the end last year. Dungy started giving it to him more on the goal line as well. He's a steal at 8 or 9. I have him at 5 behind Holmes, Green, Tomlinsen and McAllister.

Me too Loaf.  I like James a lot this year.  I thought he started looking like the James of old towards the end last year.  Dungy started giving it to him more on the goal line as well.  He's a steal at 8 or 9.  I have him at 5 behind Holmes, Green, Tomlinsen and McAllister.

341446[/snapback]

you seriously might be onto something....he might even be right after Alexander...and ahead of Portis...

Me too Loaf.  I like James a lot this year.  I thought he started looking like the James of old towards the end last year.  Dungy started giving it to him more on the goal line as well.  He's a steal at 8 or 9.  I have him at 5 behind Holmes, Green, Tomlinsen and McAllister.

341446[/snapback]

I almost agree, but i'd have to put Shawn Alexander up there in front of Edge, and possibly in front of Deuce as well.

I was at Colts camp last week, and Edge does look very good. Edge missed 3 games last year and still finished in the top 10 in my league for RB. Edge has never been a break away back, one that has long runs. But he would get yardgage in chunks. That kind of stopped after the injury. I saw it again late last year. The other place Edge has not been the same is the passing game. Part of it is the Colts have so many other offensive weapons. I definitely would have the Edge in the top 6 (Ldt, Holmes, McAllister, Alexander, Green would be the only ones ahead of him.)

I was at Colts camp last week, and Edge does look very good.  Edge missed 3 games last year and still finished in the top 10 in my league for RB.  Edge has never been a  break away back, one that has long runs.  But he would get yardgage in chunks.  That kind of stopped after the injury.  I saw it again late last year.  The other place Edge has not been the same is the passing game.  Part of it is the Colts have so many other offensive weapons.  I definitely would have the Edge in the top 6 (Ldt, Holmes, McAllister, Alexander, Green would be the only ones ahead of him.)

341508[/snapback]

I blame Manning for Edge's absence in the passing game....even in 2001, before he was injured...he wasn't much of a factor in the passing game....of from what I recall at least

I blame Manning for Edge's absence in the passing game....even in 2001, before he was injured...he wasn't much of a factor in the passing game....of from what I recall at least

341516[/snapback]

First 2 years:

16 games 62 586 4

16 games 63 594 5

Last 2 years:

14 games 61 354 1

13 games 51 292 0

Looks like he is being used less and less in the passing game.

First 2 years:

16 games 62 586 4

16 games 63 594 5

Last 2 years:

14 games 61 354 1

13 games 51 292 0

341538[/snapback]

yea...I think that's what has been affecting him the most....the fact that Manning is almost not even considering him an option...but if your league awards 1 pt per rec.....those numbers aren't bad....especially if Manning gives him a few more looks....JUST A FEW'S ALL I WANT!!!!! lol

First 2 years:

16 games 62 586 4

16 games 63 594 5

Last 2 years:

14 games 61 354 1

13 games 51 292 0

341538[/snapback]

Huh? For the last two years, projected out to 16 games, (if James had actually been healthy enough to play in 16 games) the stats would look like this...

69 405 1

63 359 0

So the Colts are throwing him the rock as much, if not even more, than the previous two years. He just isn't producing.

Huh?  For the last two years, projected out to 16 games, (if James had actually been healthy enough to play in 16 games) the stats would look like this...

69 405 1

63 359 0

So the Colts are throwing him the rock as much, if not even more, than the previous two years.  He just isn't producing.

341766[/snapback]

And you are probably right.... however I seldom, if ever, project out when a player misses games. You do what you do. Projecting didn't earn me squat in those games he missed.

I might project what could be when looking at a trade in-season.... but not for what one might have done last season or the season before. Just not in me to do that.

And you are probably right.... however I seldom, if ever, project out when a player misses games. You do what you do. Projecting didn't earn me squat in those games he missed.

I might project what could be when looking at a trade in-season.... but not for what one might have done last season or the season before. Just not in me to do that.

341782[/snapback]

Ok, that's fine. But the reason he is being used less and less in the passing game, as you say, isn't because of Manning or the Colt's game plan not including him, but because of his injuries. That makes me less optimistic, not more, about this upcoming season for him.

I know they aren't the same player, but wasn't it J. Lewis's 3rd year back from this injury that he went nuts last year?  Now James is a different back, but what I'm saying is I expect him to be at his best this year.

341525[/snapback]

Last year was Jamal's 2nd year back, however he tore his knee up on like the 2nd or 3rd day of camp, so he had a full year to heal and a full year to play before last year's season.

Edge HAS had the opportunities in the passing game. He just hasn't done as much with the ball when he receives it. Edge will be a great RB this year.

Wow that's some bs. Did you watch the Colts games? Manning would ignore Edge when he was wide open, no one in front of him, and instead bomb a pass way over Harrison's head when he was double covered.

Wow that's some bs. Did you watch the Colts games? Manning would ignore Edge when he was wide open, no one in front of him, and instead bomb a pass way over Harrison's head when he was double covered.

342595[/snapback]

:D Hook is a strong Colts homer and had indeed watched the Colts games. :D

342595[/snapback]

this is what I thought was happening...but the numbers didn't portray that....

I noticed during the year when Edge was injured.....before that, Manning almost completely ignored him...

this is what I thought was happening...but the numbers didn't portray that....

I noticed during the year when Edge was injured.....before that, Manning almost completely ignored him...

342854[/snapback]

Yeah I traded for Edge and started watching the Colts' games and I would see Edge wide open to the left. Manning threw it to him once in that spot one game, that I remember, and that was when he had 2 people in front of him.

I've attended every Colts home game since 1995, so yeah, I've watched a few games.

You are completely out of your mind if you think Manning ignores Edge. The Colts have not involved him in the DOWNFIELD passing attack since the injury, but he gets plenty of dump-offs and screens. The Colts DO have a problem with enough balls to go around. Harrison, Wayne, Stokley, Pollard, and Clark. When Edge was a rookie, it was only him and Harrison that were options. The offense is much more diverse now. Edge used to take the dump-offs and screens and turn them into huge plays. As the above stats show, he's getting the catches, but not turning them into yardage like he used to. I think that will change this year. I think Edge will have a monster year. He is in incredible shape and it's a contract year. He has had a few more injuries the last two years, but nothing major. The cracked bones in his back last year was a fluke, and he's wearing the back pads now to keep it from happening again. I like Edge's chances of playing 16 games. He has an incentive in his contract that will pay him $1 million if he rushes for 1400 yards.

342595[/snapback]

Its funny you say Edge was ignored, yet he managed to catch 52 passes last year in 13 games? :D