[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"James' burst is back"

Avernus

Edge is definitely TD light this year.

But if you get decent points for yardage & points per reception you're OK.

TD heavy league format and there were a plethora of other RB's that would serve better than Edge and could have been drafted much later.

634693[/snapback]

well, he still had his burst...yet he didn't have a super-stud year...even though he should have, if Manning didn't have a career year

next year, if he's with Indy...I'll take him in the top 3 easy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edge is definitely TD light this year.

But if you get decent points for yardage & points per reception you're OK.

TD heavy league format and there were a plethora of other RB's that would serve better than Edge and could have been drafted much later.

634693[/snapback]

Is your League TD Heavy or TD Only?

Because through 16 games:

only 1 RB has more rushing yds than Edge - Shaun Alexander

only 3 RB's have more rec. yds than Edge - Davis, Westbrook & Barber

And even in your coveted TD heavy leagues only 10 RB's have more TD's.

In any league that makes Edge at the very least a Top 10 RB even being, in your words, TD light.

And if you get any points for ydg at all then he just moves up in the rankings. And based on the fact that he is the 2nd Leading Rusher in the league and the 4th leading receivers among RB's I would say whatever ydg points you get for RB's would have to move him up in your league rankings signifcantly.

I would guess his ydg totals would more than make up for his TD shortage enough to move him ahead of Pittman, McGahee, Davis & Bettis at the very least. That would have to get him close to the Top 5 even in a TD Heavy league.

I'm not sure plethora is the right word. It's more likely that there were only a few, maybe a handful of RB's that would have served better than Edge in any league format, except maybe a TD only league.

Edited by Jrick35

Yeah Peyton was going for his TD record, so if you had Edge in a TD heavy league, you were screwed.(Why I didn't draft him, I knew there wouldn't be enough TDs or receptions to go around, as was the case.) :D

Picking up The Bus, McGahee, Larry Johnson, Blaylock, or Pittman, etc would have served you better, if not more.

634680[/snapback]

How many people actually play in TD only leagues? If so, WHY?

WaterMan, go back and find where you said Bettis, McGahee, Johnson, Blaylock, Pittman would have served you better. Guess what? You're not gonna find it. I believe you thought Dayne and Brown would be better.

How many people actually play in TD only leagues?  If so, WHY? 

WaterMan, go back and find where you said Bettis, McGahee, Johnson, Blaylock, Pittman would have served you better.  Guess what?  You're not gonna find it.  I believe you thought Dayne and Brown would be better.

634983[/snapback]

Another point about Edgerrin's so - called ' burst ' , he never has long runs. What is his longest TD run of the year , 20 yards maybe ? He has played a full season of consistent running though , I think he is ' back ' , but I expected some of that burst to include long TD runs , etc. Looks like those days are a thing of the past.

Another point about Edgerrin's so - called ' burst ' , he never has long runs.  What is his longest TD run of the year , 20 yards maybe ?  He has played a full season of consistent running though , I think he is ' back ' , but I expected some of that burst to include long TD runs , etc.  Looks like those days are a thing of the past.

634996[/snapback]

I don't know how long his longest TD run was but through 15 games he has had 6 runs of 20 or more yards.

In the entire NFL only 8 RB's have had more and only 3 of them have reached double digits in runs of 20+ yds. So I would say he is right up there with the best of them in runs of 20+ yds.

Another point about Edgerrin's so - called ' burst ' , he never has long runs.  What is his longest TD run of the year , 20 yards maybe ?  He has played a full season of consistent running though , I think he is ' back ' , but I expected some of that burst to include long TD runs , etc.  Looks like those days are a thing of the past.

634996[/snapback]

If you expect long TD runs, Edgerrin James has never been your back. In his rookie year, 1999, Edge had a 72 yard run against the Eagles. By far the longest of his career. His long in 2000 was 30 yards. His long in 2001 was 29 yards. His long in 2002 was 20. His long long in 2003 was 43. His long this year is 40. So if you are looking for the "burst" for long runs, he never had it.

Is your League TD Heavy or TD Only?

Because through 16 games:

only 1 RB has more rushing yds than Edge - Shaun Alexander

only 3 RB's have more rec. yds than Edge - Davis, Westbrook & Barber

And even in your coveted TD heavy leagues only 10 RB's have more TD's.

In any league that makes Edge at the very least a Top 10 RB even being, in your words, TD light.

And if you get any points for ydg at all then he just moves up in the rankings. And based on the fact that he is the 2nd Leading Rusher in the league and the 4th leading receivers among RB's I would say whatever ydg points you get for RB's would have to move him up in your league rankings signifcantly.

I would guess his ydg totals would more than make up for his TD shortage enough to move him ahead of Pittman, McGahee, Davis & Bettis at the very least. That would have to get him close to the Top 5 even in a TD Heavy league.

I'm not sure plethora is the right word. It's more likely that there were only a few, maybe a handful of RB's that would have served better than Edge in any league format, except maybe a TD only league.

634763[/snapback]

It all depends on how the scoring is done Jrick35.

In one league I'm in, TD's are scored higher than normal and yardage is 1 pt per 25 rush, no receiving yardage counted or recpts counted. That's why I specifically said TD Heavy

In that particular league, under that particular scoring format, Edge was not the best of picks relative to where he was drafted. I can assure you that plethora was indeed the correct word in that instance.

So while your post is nice and all, it's inaccurate as directed. Mainly as you were trying to comment and extrapolate Edges possible numbers, on rules and scoring that you were not familar with.

I also have Edge in a more traditional performance scoring league and he is the 3rd highest scoring RB in that league (Tomlinson & Barber are the 2 RB's who have outscored him).

In that league, Edge represents value, as he out performed his draft position.

Edited by Big Score 1

If you expect long TD runs, Edgerrin James has never been your back.  In his rookie year, 1999, Edge had a  72 yard run against the Eagles.  By far the longest of his career.  His long in 2000 was 30 yards.  His long in 2001 was 29 yards.  His long in 2002 was 20.  His long long in 2003 was 43.  His long this year is 40.  So if you are looking for the "burst" for long runs, he never had it.

635082[/snapback]

Wow , someone is deep in Edgerrin Long-Run knowledge. Good stuff , maybe he never had the long runs after all. I did expect a few more 25 yard TD - type plays from him this year. Whats even worse fantasy wise is that Peyton throws the ball a lot of times on 1st and goal from inside the 5. Still a great back though , just not a superstud fantasy - wise.

It all depends on how the scoring is done Jrick35.

In one league I'm in, TD's are scored higher than normal and yardage is 1 pt per 25 rush, no receiving yardage counted or recpts counted. That's why I specifically said TD Heavy

In that particular league, under that particular scoring format, Edge was not the best of picks relative to where he was drafted. I can assure you that plethora was indeed the correct word in that instance.

635652[/snapback]

In my main league, TD's are 6 points and you get 1 pt./20 yards rushing or receiving. So I guess I'm TD heavy as well. Yet, Edge is the fifth best RB in my league, as I posted above.

I'm confused as to why your league does not count RB receiving yardage?

Of course, there will be leagues who have odd scoring rules that skew the fantasy production of some players. But I would be willing to guess that in most leagues that do a form of performance scoring, which I assume most do, that Edgerrin James was a top 6 RB.

Edited by CaptainHook

In my main league, TD's are 6 points and you get 1 pt./20 yards rushing or receiving.  So I guess I'm TD heavy as well.  Yet, Edge is the fifth best RB in my league, as I posted above.

635662[/snapback]

Then you would be guessing wrong. You are not in a TD heavy league.

TD's are 15 points.

Also, as I mentioned, there are no points for receiving. Rushing is 1 point per 25 yards.

That is a definitive TD heavy league, without it being a pure TD only league.

6 points per TD, is the average amongst several leagues I'm in.

However, as I also said, in a more traditional performance scoring league I'm in with TD's being worth 6 points, Edge is the 3rd highest scoring back. :D

Edited by Big Score 1

Then you would be guessing wrong. You are not in a TD heavy league.

TD's are 15 points.

Also, as I mentioned, there are no points for receiving. Rushing is 1 point per 25 yards.

That is a definitive TD heavy league, without it being a pure TD only league.

6 points per TD, is the average amongst several leagues I'm in.

However, as I also said, in a more traditional performance scoring league I'm in with TD's being worth 6 points, Edge is the 3rd highest scoring back. :D

635685[/snapback]

Wow. Why would you do scoring like that? I'd assume that Jerome Bettis is a top point RB in your league. Why reward players who only score TD's so heavily? Seems like it's out of whack to me. :D

Wow.  Why would you do scoring like that?  I'd assume that Jerome Bettis is a top point RB in your league.  Why reward players who only score TD's so heavily?  Seems like it's out of whack to me. :D

635691[/snapback]

Getting a TD from a player makes it more exciting. Especially when you are watching that player live.

Edited by WaterMan

So if you started Jerome Bettis week 1 who had  5 carries for 1 yard and 3 TD's, you'd get 45 points.  But if you had  Edgerrin James who had 30 carries for 142 yards you'd only get 5 points.  That seems more like luck than skill to me.

635711[/snapback]

Bingo.

I thought I'd at least give that league a try. I wanted to get the flavor of what a TD only league was like, without it being a pure TD only league.

Didn't like it too much and I don't think I'll be playing in it next year, let alone a pure TD only leaue.

Edited by Big Score 1

I assume most leauges, and thus, those who come to the Huddle, play some form of performance scoring. That is why it cracks me up when guys like WaterMan come in and slam players that are not doing well in his goofy scoring system. Play in a real league and find out who the good players are.

Edited by CaptainHook

I assume most leauges, and thus, those who come to the Huddle, play some form of performance scoring.  That is why it cracks me up when guys like WaterMan come in and slam players that are not doing well in his goofy scoring system.  Play in a real league and find out who the good players are.

635737[/snapback]

It's a standard Yahoo league, but we added .01 for each reception or carry to stop teams from tieing.

I'm sure no one else in the world plays on Yahoo but me. :D

I definitely perfer performance and was happy with Edge's production in it.  :D

But I'm also a Greedy Bastage and would've been even happier, if he'd gotten a few more TD's. :D

635757[/snapback]

Just out of curiosity, where did Edge rank in the scoring system that awards 15 points for TD's and 1 point for every 25 yds?