[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AP suspended for the remainder of the season

cincy slammers

Lol, i love the people that think AP is the only thug in the NFL, if you hate child abusers, rapists, wife beaters, drunks, drug addicts, thieves, murders, drug dealers, adulterers, and all around thugs, stop watching the NFL.

If you like the sport of football, continue watching. I personally like football, i could care less what these fools do in their personal lives, if they get caught, than let the police and courts punish them.....jmho

That's my whole issue here is that ap is not a thug. He he did exactly what he was brought up with in terms of discipline. You've got real thugs carrying guns and drugs and doing dui and and those guys are playing. AP is damage control for the nfl its a damn shame

I'm an owner but ff aside I think the whole thing is a joke. You look at a guy like josh Gordon.. where is his remorse for his breaches of the e personal conduct policy. What treatment has he completed. He's been suspended 3 straight years and still gets to play. AP is dealt with in court for something that the court ruled as merely a misdemenor... I'm upset for him because he's being used as an example and the nfl's image damage control

If you're equating smoking a joint (even repeatedly) to beating a four year old, then you have issues...

Josh Gordon's remorse, or lack thereof, is irrelevant to the AP situation. Categorizing Peterson's conduct based on what he pleaded to (a misdemeanor) is stupid, as well. He pleaded guilty to the conduct we suspected that he did. His conduct isn't a misdemeanor just because he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor. He pleaded guilty to causing serious injuries to a child -- an intentional, felonious act. The fact he pleaded guilty to a reckless, misdemeanor act does not change that. It certainly bears no proportional significance to smoking Josh Gordon.

• Like 2

Lol, i love the people that think AP is the only thug in the NFL, if you hate child abusers, rapists, wife beaters, drunks, drug addicts, thieves, murders, drug dealers, adulterers, and all around thugs, stop watching the NFL.

If you like the sport of football, continue watching. I personally like football, i could care less what these fools do in their personal lives, if they get caught, than let the police and courts punish them.....jmho

You couldn't care less, but I believe the NFL has every right and should want to hold their employees to a specific standard given they are all public figures and the NFL itself is held to a certain public standard. The problem is, the NFLs idea of justice changes with the slightest breeze. Seemingly whichever way the public outcry is blowing and/or whenever Roger gets his panties in a wad. They are way overzealous with relatively minor infractions and have largely ignored much more serious issues, including from within their own house. Their entire review and investigation process is a complete joke and they present themselves as some great authority in morality and justice.

ETA: Someone please take my soap box and hide it before I get rolling again...

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 2

You couldn't care less, but I believe the NFL has every right and should want to hold their employees to a specific standard given they are all public figures and the NFL itself is held to a certain public standard. The problem is, the NFLs idea of justice changes with the slightest breeze. Seemingly whichever way the public outcry is blowing and/or whenever Roger gets his panties in a wad. They are way overzealous with relatively minor infractions and have largely ignored much more serious issues, including from within their own house. Their entire review and investigation process is a complete joke and they present themselves as some great authority in morality and justice.

I agree Rajn, im just venting on the mob mentality and witch hunt that happened. Yet most of the mob will continue watching the game.

Timing, I believe, is perfect for the NFL, but not in relation to the DEA (I'm almost fully positive the general fan base cares little if any about drug raids by the Feds).

The timing fits their hopes, if not plans, perfectly to fully avoid AP for the entire season. Once he decided to go the plea deal route, the league checked the calendar, dragged their feet through 2 weeks worth of games, and now has exactly 6 games left in the season to "satisfy" their mandatory 6 game suspension rule for domestic abuse/personal conduct. Now all they have to do is let the NFLPA hem and haw as they are to do in support of AP, have various meetings and mediations, and before you know it the regular season is over and they've gotten away with being able to claim they acted in a manner against domestic abuse without ever actually doing anything to the subject itself or their own convoluted policies.

Regardless of how it does all work out, I think Roger Goodell should be fired as part of the end result.

ETA: Someone please take my soap box and hide it before I get rolling again...

+1

While I agree they put themselves in that position, I can't help but think that every lynch mob out there demanding justice from an entertainment company instead of the appropriate branch of government is not making things any better or just.

• Like 1

I wonder if the suspension timing is preparation for the arbitrators ruling in favor of AP and possibly the NFL knows it could lose the appeal. They won't look as bad in the PR point of view this way

Edited by Gourdeau

I'm an owner but ff aside I think the whole thing is a joke. You look at a guy like josh Gordon.. where is his remorse for his breaches of the e personal conduct policy. What treatment has he completed. He's been suspended 3 straight years and still gets to play. AP is dealt with in court for something that the court ruled as merely a misdemenor... I'm upset for him because he's being used as an example and the nfl's image damage control

Gordon showed remorse, stated that he understood that the league's hands were tied, and went to a rehab clinic. :link:

He didn't get to play. Initially he was suspended all year until the drug policy was revised, at which point his suspension was shortened but not lifted. AP will get to play again, but he is being suspended for now under the new conduct policy. I don't agree with the suspension, but I'm not sure what you're talking about.

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder about if all those that are up in arms about the AP suspension are AP owners or are upset with the process of it all.

Some are surely AP owners. Others are upset with the process, or just hate Goodell and think he is ruining the NFL. Still others think AP did nothing wrong, and believe that beating a child like that is perfectly fine.

I cannot say I am surprised, told a coworker yesterday I could see a 6 game suspension, which would effectively end his season. Especially with the way he and the NFLPA handled this last meeting (over the removal from exemption list) as well as his "I did nothing wrong" stance.

I cannot really say "I told you so" but from the beginning I had a feeling he may not play. Earlier this week when many were saying "he'll play this week, Schefter says so" I again echoed I felt that was premature and he could still be suspended.

I still wonder how much the VIkings had a role in any of the end results. They may want him back, and unlike the Ravens were not ready to cut him (huge difference in talent and the fan draw). This way they don't have to and can continue to say "we'll welcome him back". They then gauge public reaction and can cut him before he's eligible to return if warranted.

Gordon checked himself into a California rehab facility after the DUI. And he didn't harm any other person through his actions.

The courts dismissed charges against Rice, does that make what he did even less bad than AP or Gordon?

I mean the NFL should have never been aware of the issue. Family should have handled it and Peterson seems like the kid of guy that would see he went to far that time and would most likely never do it again. To have this public witch hunt over a whoopen of his own son is pretty sad. Just should never had been public court room for the kids sake. I can't imagine the effect the pubic trial has had on the kid and their relationship. Just sad that's all.

Did you see the text from AP to the kids mother, saying that he didn't cry so it must not have hurt enough, and next time he'll hit him harder? Or his "I was hit with a switch as a kid" as justification for doing it? (Heck people still make that statement here, like its ok since his parents did it to him. Is being a biggot/racist ok if you were raised that way? Or a drug user, rapist, murderer?)

Doesn't at all sound like a guy who learned a lesson and will not do it again.

• Like 1

Pretty much. I never said I agreed with what I believed the decision would be... but I was fairly certain this was going to happen.

Paging InTomWeTrust... :whistle:

He's busy contacting Schefter and asking how he could have been so wrong.

Of course I continue to read some experts (citing league sources) that say AP could play this weekend, depending on the ruling from Monday's hearing (the one AP skipped) that could remove him from the exempt list, and with an appeal of the suspension allow him to play until the appeal is heard. But I think that is just more conjecture and an extreme long shot.

All I know is if AP was left to raise his son without any intervention I would bet that his kid would do better in the life then many of the today's entitled, WOW kids. The kid was switched, and had whelps of switch marks. Whoopty do.....He went a bit to far sure but It's not like the kid was knocked out or punched and I don't think he is a child beater per se. He was disciplining the same way he was disciplined, right or wrong it was how his family did things. The day after they probably didn't feel any worse then a mosquito bite but he's now some kind of monster. Ridiculous IMO. You poll the WWII generation and see what they say about what kind of discipline they endured and then look back and see what kind of Men they were. This generation has no sack at all and I pray we never have to depend on them to step up in world or national crisis. I was switched a few time and had worse marks then that kid had by a mile and I am glad he did it. I deserved it and was better for it. Kept me safe and mindful.

The whole thing is blown way out of proportion and just plain silly.

All I know is if AP was left to raise his son without any intervention I would bet that his kid would do better in the life then many of the today's entitled, WOW kids. The kid was switched, and had whelps of switch marks. Whoopty do.....He went a bit to far sure but It's not like the kid was knocked out or punched and I don't think he is a child beater per se. He was disciplining the same way he was disciplined, right or wrong it was how his family did things. The day after they probably didn't feel any worse then a mosquito bite but he's now some kind of monster. Ridiculous IMO. You poll the WWII generation and see what they say about what kind of discipline they endured and then look back and see what kind of Men they were. This generation has no sack at all and I pray we never have to depend on them to step up in world or national crisis. I was switched a few time and had worse marks then that kid had by a mile and I am glad he did it. I deserved it and was better for it. Kept me safe and mindful.

The whole thing is blown way out of proportion and just plain silly.

Funny, AP's kid almost got his beat off.

• Like 1

History will write Goodell as a reactionary fool for all of this. But then, that seems to be all the rage.

Peterson is probably not helping himself much, but he certainly seems to have been nailed to the cross as the sacrifice of the NFL's failures. Congratulations angry mob. Now you have taken away the man's livelyhood and put his future earning power in serious jeopardy.

Thanks to all for protecting his child - an unemployed, soon to be in the depths of depression father will certainly be in his best interest I am sure.

History will write Goodell as a reactionary fool for all of this. But then, that seems to be all the rage.

Peterson is probably not helping himself much, but he certainly seems to have been nailed to the cross as the sacrifice of the NFL's failures. Congratulations angry mob. Now you have taken away the man's livelyhood and put his future earning power in serious jeopardy.

Thanks to all for protecting his child - an unemployed, soon to be in the depths of depression father will certainly be in his best interest I am sure.

:shocking:

Really?

Yes, Goodell is a reactionary fool, I'll give you that. A total buffoon who is using AP as the poster child for the NFL's new policies.

But come on. Even if the guy's career is over (and let's face it, it's not), he's a multi-multi-millioinaire.

The guy has SIX kids with multiple women. You think he really has his kids' interests in mind? You think this outcome will suddenly send the guy into the "depths of depression"? :lol: He's a dolt that beat the crap out of one of his kids and sent text messages to the wife afterwards bragging about it.

I seriously hope I'm just missing the sarcasm here.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 2

I'll preface this by saying I don't agree with the suspension or how the NFL has handled any of this.

Boo f*cking hoo. He's worth ~$20 million and has received ~$7 million this season already. Assuming that you can safely live off 2% of your savings annually, he can spend the rest of his life making ~$400k/year (taxed at 15% capital gains) without doing anything. His livelihood is not in jeopardy.

• Like 1