[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AP suspended for the remainder of the season

cincy slammers

What you were switched for?

I went and got my dads gun and was about to shoot the dog for eating my favorite squirt gun. You know the one in a 1000 that you get that shoot straight. Well I went and got the gun and then it hit me, oh honda, I hope Kathy (my cousin) didn't see me get this and immediately tried to get it back to where it was before she saw me. Needless to say she saw me and freaked out. I begged her not to tell dad but when he got home, he called me into the room and explained to me calmly what he was going to do and why. Then proceeded to wear my ass out with a walnut sapling. It stung like a SOB and I had bloody whelps on my legs, but I manned up and realized what I did was dangerous and I deserved a good whoopen. I never did it again and I don't believe I would have learned such a good lesson had I of not been disciplined any other way.

Nothing makes you think before you act then a good whoopen. NOTHING. People who think talking and explaining is the way to go, right........Kids remember a spanking or a tragic event that has happened as a result of their ignorance or lack of attention. The point of a spanking or a switching is to make sure you remember to think before you act regardless of how angry or emotional you are. Kids that get talking to or time outs learn pretty quick that there are very little consequence to doing this or that. Which allows them to make what ever decision they want because hell, time out or a talking to is tolerable.

Seriously, I was only switched a few times and I found that only two spankings for my son did the trick.

Edited by Cowboyz1

:shocking:

Really?

Yes, Goodell is a reactionary fool, I'll give you that. A total buffoon who is using AP as the poster child for the NFL's new policies.

But come on. Even if the guy's career is over (and let's face it, it's not), he's a multi-multi-millioinaire.

The guy has SIX kids with multiple women. You think he really has his kids' interests in mind? You think this outcome will suddenly send the guy into the "depths of depression"? :lol: He's a dolt that beat the crap out of one of his kids and sent text messages to the wife afterwards bragging about it.

I seriously hope I'm just missing the sarcasm here.

So you agree with the commish. Players who commit reprehensible acts have no place in the league. Well. there are about 100 other players give or take whose actions would rival or supass those of Peterson. He is obviously being singled out. He is not the worst person in the NFL. Not by a longshot. I just giggle at you and others who have such indignous outrage for AP while still happily cheering for the myriad of other thugs, far more nefarious than Mr. Peterson, who have somehow not had their careers ended by Mr Goodell.

As for his earning power, exactly what is the shelf life for an NFL RB and how far past that is AP already? It is the equivelant of saying, sorry Darrin, you hit your kid too hard. We are going to have to take away 1/6th of your lifetime earnings. Good luck with your rehab,

Edited by rattsass

I went and got my dads gun

I think your dad should have spanked himself for leaving his gun in an easy accessible place, but good for you that you arrogantly know how to universally raise kids.

• Like 2

So you agree with the commish. Players who commit reprehensible acts have no place in the league. Well. there are about 100 other players give or take whose actions would rival or supass those of Peterson. He is obviously being singled out. He is not the worst person in the NFL. Not by a longshot. I just giggle at you and others who have such indignous outrage for AP while still happily cheering for the myriad of other thugs, far more nefarious than Mr. Peterson, who have somehow not had their careers ended by Mr Goodell.

As for his earning power, exactly what is the shelf life for an NFL RB and how far past that is AP already? It is the equivelant of saying, sorry Darrin, you hit your kid too hard. We are going to have to take away 1/6th of your lifetime earnings. Good luck with your rehab,

If you are a public figure and you screw up it usually does impact you much worse than it would someone not in the public eye.
  • Like 2

If you are a public figure and you screw up it usually does impact you much worse than it would someone not in the public eye.

I will give you that. But what I am torqed off about is the fact that AP seems to be being held to a different standard than others. in the name of "saving face" and I think that stinks. I really don't give a rip what the rules are, I would just love to know WHAT they are,and that everyone will be treated the same under those rules. What we have here is reactionary dictatorship. Chaos.

I went and got my dads gun and was about to shoot the dog for eating my favorite squirt gun. You know the one in a 1000 that you get that shoot straight. Well I went and got the gun and then it hit me, oh honda, I hope Kathy (my cousin) didn't see me get this and immediately tried to get it back to where it was before she saw me. Needless to say she saw me and freaked out. I begged her not to tell dad

So you realized before you did it that what you were doing was wrong? I think you knew right from wrong before your cousin told anyone. There may be people who don't, but you weren't one of them.

I'm curious, would anybody here feel better if the NFL didn't suspend AP now, saying he was already suspended for most of the year. Then the Vikings turn around and release him, and no other NFL team would touch him? Same result basically right, he's done and cannot earn another penny in the NFL. But no arbitrary policy was used to punish him.

Or would they care if the person were more like Ray Lewis, or Michael Vick or some other player that is disliked by more people?

As I said here and in another discussion, I get that the NFL is kind of making things up as they go, not using uniform policies and such. They are in damage control mode, major sponsors were threatening to cut ties. They are not going to stand for that, and will do things to send a signal to everybody, doesn't matter who you are if you screw up we'll punish you.

Sure there are worse guys in the NFL, Greg Hardy would be won (if the claims against him are true). He's currently on the exempt list too (something I just learned today). And he'll probably be there for a long time, the team recently made statements (coach Rivera) that based on the suspension of AP they don't expect to get Hardy back anytime soon.

I will give you that. But what I am torqed off about is the fact that AP seems to be being held to a different standard than others. in the name of "saving face" and I think that stinks. I really don't give a rip what the rules are, I would just love to know WHAT they are,and that everyone will be treated the same under those rules. What we have here is reactionary dictatorship. Chaos.

I've been vocal about this - go check the other thread. I in no way agree with the decision. In fact I agreed with your statement that Goodell is a reactionary fool. Not sure how you missed that.

But the rest of your post was fairly asinine.

To reiterate/stamp to this thread: I was pretty sure that the league (Goodell, the Vikings, whoever) was going to make an example out of AP. It came on the heels of the Ray Rice disaster and sponsors immediately pulled AP's plug. Doesn't mean I agree with the results.

Is AP an idiot? God yes. Should he beat his kid with a stick? Probably not.

But to say the guy's going to "slip into depression and lose all of his millions" is downright dumb and conjecture at best. I expect more out of you.

Just read this on my league site (CBS)

The arbitrator has ruled in favor of the NFL on whether AP can be kept on the exempt list

Arbitrator Shyam Das ruled against Adrian Peterson, agreeing with the NFL that it can keep the Vikings running back on the commissioner's exempt list, reports CBS Sports Insider Jason La Canfora. Das heard Peterson's grievance in a conference call Monday.

The ruling comes on the heels of Commissioner Roger Goodell suspending Peterson without pay for at least the rest of this season. Peterson is expected to file an appeal soon.

Peterson pleaded no contest to misdmeanor reckless assault for hitting his 4-year-old child. He avoided jail time in the case and was seeking immediate reinstatement to the NFL.

Edited by stevegrab

Depends when your keepers need to be declared I guess. Ours need to be declared 1 week before our draft which is at week 4 of the preseason. I'm holding till then to see how it all shakes out.

Edited by Gourdeau
  • Like 1

But the rest of your post was fairly asinine.

But to say the guy's going to "slip into depression and lose all of his millions" is downright dumb and conjecture at best. I expect more out of you.

Okay, you want more, then lets examine the two possible scenarios. Remember, we are talking about a player knocking on the door of 30 years old.

The court has deemed that this man may legally go back to work and remain in society. But the NFL has decided that he shall not be a part of their society, noble as it may be.

Scenario A) He is reinstated with time served or given an additional short suspension. He is now back into his normal football life, earning a living. He is paying his bills and supporting his many children. The children everyone is so concerned about. Yes, there may be another short burst of backlash, but the pitchfork crowd has already had their way with AP and it is on to the next before you know it. I mean, my god we have Ray Lewis as a commentator on a major sports network. We forget.

Scenario B) What is happening now. He is unemployed with plenty of free time on his hands. What will he do with this time? Who the hell knows. Maybe he will spend more time with his kids. Conjecture? Yes. But a reasonable person may assume that will be the case. Now. I don't know if anyone here has ever had anything they LIVE for yanked from them, but a reasonable person may assume that when that happens to someone, it causes negative emotional changes.

I don't know. Yeah, I guess it is conjecture that he will slip into depression after having everything he has known ripped from him. And it is further conjecture to say that in the end game both he and his children's lives will be less than could have been. Hell, he may find his true calling while he is sitting on his ass. It has been known to happen.

If it is really REALLY about protecting children in this society - I am thinking this probably is not the best course of action for his children. But that is not really what it is all about. I say his children are in far more peril due to the decision that was made. But those people with the pitchforks really don't give a flying rip about that kid. And it is that stinking hypocricy that maked my blood boil. Asinine. Probably. Sorry. Just how I feel.

Okay, you want more, then lets examine the two possible scenarios. Remember, we are talking about a player knocking on the door of 30 years old.

The court has deemed that this man may legally go back to work and remain in society. But the NFL has decided that he shall not be a part of their society, noble as it may be.

Scenario A) He is reinstated with time served or given an additional short suspension. He is now back into his normal football life, earning a living. He is paying his bills and supporting his many children. The children everyone is so concerned about. Yes, there may be another short burst of backlash, but the pitchfork crowd has already had their way with AP and it is on to the next before you know it. I mean, my god we have Ray Lewis as a commentator on a major sports network. We forget.

Scenario B) What is happening now. He is unemployed with plenty of free time on his hands. What will he do with this time? Who the hell knows. Maybe he will spend more time with his kids. Conjecture? Yes. But a reasonable person may assume that will be the case. Now. I don't know if anyone here has ever had anything they LIVE for yanked from them, but a reasonable person may assume that when that happens to someone, it causes negative emotional changes.

I don't know. Yeah, I guess it is conjecture that he will slip into depression after having everything he has known ripped from him. And it is further conjecture to say that in the end game both he and his children's lives will be less than could have been. Hell, he may find his true calling while he is sitting on his ass. It has been known to happen.

If it is really REALLY about protecting children in this society - I am thinking this probably is not the best course of action for his children. But that is not really what it is all about. I say his children are in far more peril due to the decision that was made. But those people with the pitchforks really don't give a flying rip about that kid. And it is that stinking hypocricy that maked my blood boil. Asinine. Probably. Sorry. Just how I feel.

how about the fact that he admittedly "smoked a Lil dope" AFTER he was already under the microscope? I don't agree with Goodell on this..at all. But lets face it, Adrian is....not smart, I don't feel sorry for him. At all

Cry me a f'in river. Maybe he should have thought about the repercussions of beating the crap out of a 4 year old and bragging about it - utilizing a medium that's easy to log no less. And then having the gall to smoke some Josh Gordon after he was already on the league's poop list. Like... duh.

The guy's a dolt, plain and simple... and right or wrong (and again, I've said that Goodell is a moron who's using this to fortify the "Hi, we're the NFL... and we care" angle)... it's the new landscape of the NFL. You make a "mistake", you're going to pay.

And of course it's not about the children. You think the NFL cares? The NFL cares about one thing (well, maybe two): money and image (and image eventually leads to more money). Bottom line: they're using AP's stupidity to make up for the shortfalls in the Ray Rice situation.

Look, I agree with you in principle - it's an unfortunate situation for all. The NFL will continue to be a ball of hypocrisy if it means they can continue to rake in the coin. Period.

Edited by darin3

The ELEPHANT in the room has spoken.............Whatever any of us think, the NFL and GODell were told what they were going to do by Coporate America........Like I said in an earlier post "SPONSORSHIP" equals CASH and thats what really matters, not AP or his son. But they will have you believe that its so he can get counseling and become a better citizen/father. If you believe that, then our society is doomed and we all mind as well become preppers, live underground and listen to AM radio and wear tin foil hats.

I think your dad should have spanked himself for leaving his gun in an easy accessible place, but good for you that you arrogantly know how to universally raise kids.

I figured someone was going to say that. You see, I grew up in an all white town about 15 minutes from KKK approved mountains on both sides. A poor families Dad and son found that out the hard way just a few year before my father being stationed there. My sister and I were the only two minority kids in our school up until Jr High. So my father taught me early on that if my sister or mom's lives were threatened I was to get it and use it until it was empty. I was a darn good shot by the time I was 9 too. However, that was the one and only time I was to visit it's location. Should I venture into using it's services save any other reason, there would be dire consequences. He was true to his word and I needed no more lessons on the matter.

As far as raising kids is concerned, every situation is different. I needed two lumps, some can go without.

Edited by Cowboyz1

So you realized before you did it that what you were doing was wrong? I think you knew right from wrong before your cousin told anyone. There may be people who don't, but you weren't one of them.

Yeah point taken, however, being a parent I am pretty sure he wasn't whipped for no reason. It sounds like AP was tired of telling him with words to stop doing a specific behavior. I could be wrong but most parents that switch use that as a pretty serious form of punishment and don't easily get to that point. I wasn't there so I will never know.

I am kind of pissed that they have chosen to block ALL the Peterson articles from conversation on NFL.com. Are they THAT afraid of the public voicing their opinions? You have the ability to comment on ALL other top articles barring the Peterson ones. Right now, the NFL can eat a di.ck with it's dictatorship like policing of these situations.

Yeah point taken, however, being a parent I am pretty sure he wasn't whipped for no reason. It sounds like AP was tired of telling him with words to stop doing a specific behavior. I could be wrong but most parents that switch use that as a pretty serious form of punishment and don't easily get to that point. I wasn't there so I will never know.

he's FOUR

he's FOUR

yup and some four year olds these days have quite the mouths on them, how do you discipline a four year old that tells his parents to f*ck off because he heard it in a song or saw it on TV. These days parents are too soft, teachers have no powers, and the justice system let kids get away with just about anything. I'm a cop in Canada and I've seen a lot of troubled youth from very good home situations, that in my opinion, had they gotten a good spanking from the onset, would likely have more values. The world is a messed

up place these days. I don't agree with whipping a 4 year old to the point of those injuries, but I certainly think a good spanking is more effective than a time out or empty threats like "finish your dinner or no dessert" or "if you don't behave we are leaving". My father spanked me and my brother 1 time and 1 time only after talking back to our mother, my sister saw it and she never got spanked in her life. All my dad had to do was look at us a certain way and it was over.

I'm not saying all kids should be spanked or hit, my wife and her brother were never spanked and got the soft treatment ( timeouts, talking too etc) that worked on them no problem. It doesn't work for a lot of kids and I agree with Cowboyz that AP likely tried other forms of discipline before resorting to such a harsh solution. I truly believe lack of discipline at home, due to fear of legal repercussions (police and social services) is the #1 reason why so many kids are lazy and disrespectful in this day.

Edited by Gourdeau

The guy's a dolt, plain and simple...

I don't think this was ever in question. His ignorance in all this is astounding. Which makes the argument all you people claiming he can live the rest of his life on what he as earned to this point, somewhat flimsy. For all we know he may have already pissed away most of it.