[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kicker roulette - McManus out, Barth in

bud29

McManus has been terrible! Bad mistake by Elway to let Prater go.

2014 Stats:

Prater: 12 of 16 FGM for 75%

McManus: 9/13 FGM for 69.2%

Not that big of a difference, really. Prater had his struggles in 2013 with touchbacks as well, especially on the road (45.8%). Then throw in his 4 game suspension this year, and being 1 beer away from a 1 full year suspension, and I can see why Elway & Co. parted ways with Prater.

Was McManus the right choice? Obviously not, so we'll have to see how Barth does, but I doubt he'll have the 75% touchback rate McManus had (overall). However, Barth's career FG % is 84.167%, which places him 9th overall.

Looks like the Broncos are trading touchbacks for FG points to me.

2014 Stats:

Prater: 12 of 16 FGM for 75%

McManus: 9/13 FGM for 69.2%

Not that big of a difference, really. Prater had his struggles in 2013 with touchbacks as well, especially on the road (45.8%). Then throw in his 4 game suspension this year, and being 1 beer away from a 1 full year suspension, and I can see why Elway & Co. parted ways with Prater.

Was McManus the right choice? Obviously not, so we'll have to see how Barth does, but I doubt he'll have the 75% touchback rate McManus had (overall). However, Barth's career FG % is 84.167%, which places him 9th overall.

Looks like the Broncos are trading touchbacks for FG points to me.

Good post. Didn't realize they were so close. However, the percentage is somewhat skewed due to the limited number of kicks attempted. No way did anyone in Denver have any confidence McManus would actually make a field goal from 40+yds out. He was so inaccurate. However, clearly the 1 beer away from a year long suspension is why Elway let Prater go. Everyone knows Prater was waaay better than McManus. Also keep in mind that Barth's kickoff numbers include years where the kickoff was 5 yards further than it is now. I think Barth will be fine on kickoffs.

Wait a minute, according to this: http://www.nfl.com/player/mattprater/2506677/careerstats Prater was 96% on field goals. I think your stats aren't quite right.

Edited by NAUgrad

Wait a minute, according to this: http://www.nfl.com/p...677/careerstats Prater was 96% on field goals. I think your stats aren't quite right.

Huh? I looked at the link provided and for Prater I see 154/190 FGM/FGA for a career 81.1%. Not sure where you're getting 96%?

The 45.8% stat I quoted was for touchbacks (on the road), not FG's. His 2013 FG% was 25/26 for 96.1%.

Edited by Rileyrott

Huh? I looked at the link provided and for Prater I see 154/190 FGM/FGA for a career 81.1%. Not sure where you're getting 96%?

The 45.8% stat I quoted was for touchbacks (on the road), not FG's. His 2013 FG% was 25/26 for 96.1%.

Gotcha, it was last year I was looking at for the 96%. And last year he was #2 in the league in touchbacks as well. He did seem to struggle some in preseasons which may have been a factor as well in him being released.