[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

teams tie in playoffs then what

dougsul

BJ is right decimal scoring would greatly reduce the chances of a tie.

Many would say bench points is not fair (have heard it here before), depends a lot on what kind of players are on your bench (QBs usually get more points, so if one has 2 QB and the other 1 QB that could be huge). Or it reward the team that left lots of points on his bench instead of starting them.

We do not have a tie breaker in the playoffs and I don't think we've ever had a tie in 20 years. We allow the owners to come to some sort of agreement, if not we do a coin flip.

Best to have a rule in place if you're going to do anything before the season starts, or at least before playoffs start.

Lacking a rule in place, wait for the stat changes to come out and see if that resolves it.

If it does not, have both teams advance and play a 3-way game next week between those two teams and whomever they are advancing to play... top score of those 3 advances to the next round.

• Like 1

If it does not, have both teams advance and play a 3-way game next week between those two teams and whomever they are advancing to play... top score of those 3 advances to the next round.

That is not fair to the other advancing team as they have to play against the better score of 2 teams.
  • Like 3

Lacking a rule in place, wait for the stat changes to come out and see if that resolves it.

Yea that really isnt fair for the guy who already advances. He shouldnt have to go against 2 people since he won. The only way would be the decimal points if it isnt already.

Last week we had a matchup tie with both players scoring 94.44 points. Didnt even think that would ever happen.

If you have no rule in place, then both advancing is just as fair to those teams. I admit though that it could place the team in the next round at a disadvantage.

Doing anything where the result can already be determined is not fair to either of the teams - Changing the scoring system to decimal is not fair (can already calculate who wins in that scenario), bench points is not fair as that can already be determined, etc.

You basically have to come to agreement on a neutral, random option that is not related to any past fantasy performance - coin flip, draw high card, etc. Unbiased options where the outcome has not yet been determined.

• Like 1

in my primary local, when the playoff teams set their starting lineups, they are requred to designate and prioritize 3 bench players in addition to normal starters (e.g., TB#1 = Bench Player A, TB#2 = Bench Player B, etc.)...if there is a tie resulting from the starting lineups, the tiebreaker resorts to the first designated TB#1 players, and so on...this method doesn't rely on an entire team's bench score, and also pushes some extra decision-making strategy down to the coach/owner..to my knowledge, we've never had a playoff tie, but it seems very improbable there would still be a tie after comparing the scores of 3 bench players...

never underestimate the improbable in FF

didn't say it was impossible, just improbable...but, I hear you...i'm sure our league bylaws and rules address a 4th level TB, but I would have to research that...i presume it would be something like H2H record, then overall record, and finally total regular season points, etc...but, like I said, not sure without looking...

I never cared for tie breakers that involve bench points. IMHO, it should always be about the starting lineups.

Here is a tiebreaker I like:

the team that has the highest scoring player in its starting lineup, regardless of position, wins and advances.

I've seen where the higher seed wins if there's a tie.

I generally like this - it adds some additional importance to the regular season.

In this particular case I don't like it as it was not in the rules before and fits the definition of something that can be determined already (ala bench points, etc.)

I've never had this happen, but have heard of leagues using the best possible score for each team from that week and letting that be the decider. This is contingent on at least one of the teams not fielding their best possible squad. This is also similar to using bench points, but rules out the chance that certain positional players are imbalanced on each team.

I've never had this happen, but have heard of leagues using the best possible score for each team from that week and letting that be the decider. This is contingent on at least one of the teams not fielding their best possible squad. This is also similar to using bench points, but rules out the chance that certain positional players are imbalanced on each team.

I'd say that isn't really fair either, you basically punish the team that made better starting line-up decision.

I'd say that isn't really fair either, you basically punish the team that made better starting line-up decision.

No disagreement here. Be tough to justify doing this in a league where starting the correct guys is the main goal. I haven't heard of anyone using this in quite awhile. This was a fantasy league from years ago that I no longer participate in.

Yahoo's current playoff rule is to first use head to head winning percentage and then if tied, go to higher playoff seed. Agree or disagree with it, the rule per Yahoo cannot be changed. I think more fair is to award the higher seeded team with the edge.

I believe Yahoo used to use a most TDs by the entire starting roster, then to go down the line beginning at QB most TDs etc.