[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jon Gruden...

sksmith

...made the announcement that he is officially off any list of potential coaching openings going forward as he signed a fairly lengthy contract extension (through 2021 I think I heard) with ESPN MNF.

I'm personally happy about that, have always enjoyed Gruden; he's got great knowledge and analytical skills with a side of John Madden obviousness thrown in.

Now that we know he'll be commentating MNF for years, I propose this: once a year Jon Gruden calls a game alongside Frank Caliendo as Jon Gruden! If you have yet to see the video where Gruden interviews Gruden, you owe it to yourself to see it* and then you'll most likely support my idea...it would be spectacular to listen to!

* - here, found it for you:

I thought they were getting ready to announce he wasn't going to be back, which would mean he's sure he's getting a new HC gig. But as I've suspected for many years, guys like him (Cowher as well, Billick too) are happy with their broadcast careers. They make good money, don't have a very demanding schedule, are still involved in the NFL and don't have to deal with headaches of being a HC (potentially on the hot seat any year your team isn't great).

Every year there are openings for coaches, and every year we hear Cowher, Gruden, etc. I just don't think it will happen. New NFL head coaches will increasingly come from the college ranks (success of Carrol, Harbaugh, Kelly) or rising coordinators/assistants. (Though the list of those who flame out quickly and return to their off/def coordinator or even position coach positions where they excel is pretty long.)

He said when he got the MNF job it was his dream job, maybe he told the truth. :thinking:

He's around football all week, no pressure, I'd love that job too even though the money is a lot less.

I had to wonder, is the money really a lot less. Quick digging turned up

average NFL coach salary is $4.8 millions (tops are 7-8, bottoms are 3-3.5)

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

Gruden's new ESP contract is rumored to be over $4 million a year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1435078-jon-gruden-and-bill-cowher-would-be-crazy-to-come-back-to-coaching

So yes I guess as a NFL coach he'd probably be in the upper levels, or at least $6+ million. But the less pay for far less pressure is a good payoff. Especially for somebody with a net work in excess of $20 million

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/coach/jon-gruden-net-worth/

I must be in a minority, but I do not find Frank Caliendo funny at all. I cringe when I see him on ESPN and all the hosts kill themselves laughing at his impressions.

• Like 1

I must be in a minority, but I do not find Frank Caliendo funny at all. I cringe when I see him on ESPN and all the hosts kill themselves laughing at his impressions.

I've seen him before and thought he was mildly amusing, but not worth being part of any sort of regular sports show. Maybe its just me, but I don't need comedy (or musical performances or even half naked womens) in my sports. Don't get me wrong, cute cheerleaders on the sideline are nice, but there way more out there if/when I need it.