[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jim Harbaugh to . . . . . . . . THE COLTS?

CaptainHook

I would really like to know what went down in SF this year with Harbaugh. I would assume the Colts would do due diligence on this point first.

If I owned the Colts and it turned out Harbaugh didn't fry his brain this year, I'd go after him for head coach. Two words - Tony Dungy. TB recognized the ceiling and went after Gruden. Result=Super Bowl.

I've heard the current thinking is that he would go to Michigan for a year and then return to the NFL. In this way whatever NFL team he goes to would not have to give up draft picks that they are likely going to need.

No one would have to give up picks, he is no longer under contract to the 49ers.

It's hard to fire a guy after three straight 11-5 seasons and back-to-back division titles. The timing was not good for the Colts and Harbaugh, as Michigan was putting on the full court press, and I don't think anything will be decided about Pagano's future until after this weekend's game.

Yes because the 49'ers didn't trade him ... they "mutually agreed to part ways"

And they only did that because he was already firmly committed to signing with UM. If they thought he was going to another NFL team they may have tried to trade him. But like a player that a team doesn't want any longer, the same applies his suitors would know that at some point SF would just fire him and then they don't have to pay anything.

And they only did that because he was already firmly committed to signing with UM. If they thought he was going to another NFL team they may have tried to trade him. But like a player that a team doesn't want any longer, the same applies his suitors would know that at some point SF would just fire him and then they don't have to pay anything.

link or speculation?

link or speculation?

Part speculation, part observation based on what we knew. It was all but certain he was not returning to coach in SF next year. It was widely reported on Saturday that Harbaugh had all but formally signed a contract to go to UM. So the 49ers organization knew no NFL team was going to be able to sign him, hence they were ok with "mutually parting ways".

Had he not had the UM committment I doubt they "part ways" immediately after the last game, SF would have shopped him to NFL teams first, since they need him to be out of his SF contract before they can sign him (but not true for college teams as I understood it).