[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ken Whisenhunt and the GM get to stay?

Bedo

I am seeing all of the black Monday fall out today and all of it was expected for the most part. I assumed some changes would be made in Tennessee but it looks like Tommy Smith - CEO of the Titans said all is safe for Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt and GM Ruston Webster.

I think Whizz is in way over his head and was a horrible coach this year and from a talent perspective it is not like they are loaded so the GM has certainly not done his job either.

To me it seems like maybe CEO Tommy Smith is a moran and has accepted another bad to mediocre season next year.

Also read that Ken Whisenhunt was quoted this morning saying they have to get Dexter McCluster more involved next year. Really Ken there is a reason KC let him go. He is nothing more then a 3rd down back at BEST.

Yikes...good luck Tennessee!!

I think every organization should give a head coach more than one season. Not everyone is so quick to move the next newest shiny thing like the Browns are.

Both Pettine and Farmer will be back next season, so that is a start. We'll see if Haslam pushes them to keep/play Manziel or not.

We'll never see this again, but I BELIEVE Tom Landry's first 5 seasons were losing seasons

You are correct, first 5 below .500, 7-7 in his 6th year. He was winless (0-11-1) in his first season too. He also finished with 3 seasons below .500 Over his career he had a .607 winning percentage. From 1966-1985 (20 seasons) he only had 4 seasons with less than 10 wins (and much of that time was 14 game seasons).

http://www.pro-footb...hes/LandTo0.htm

Edited by stevegrab

Please lets not compare Whisenhunt to Landry. He has had (7) seasons under his belt between Arizona and Tennessee and his combined record is 47-65.

Granted he did go to a Superbowl and lost and also made it to the NFC Championship also and lost. Those 2 seasons he was a combined 19-13 nice job Ken!!

Since those 2 years 2008 and 2009 he is a combined 20-44.....I am just not sure why he keeps getting chances after 20-44 the last 4 seasons as head coach. What special thing do they see in him. Tennessee is losing fans by the day and all they have to look forward to is a 5-11 season next year if they are lucky....OUCH

Please lets not compare Whisenhunt to Landry. He has had (7) seasons under his belt between Arizona and Tennessee and his combined record is 47-65.

Granted he did go to a Superbowl and lost and also made it to the NFC Championship also and lost. Those 2 seasons he was a combined 19-13 nice job Ken!!

Since those 2 years 2008 and 2009 he is a combined 20-44.....I am just not sure why he keeps getting chances after 20-44 the last 4 seasons as head coach. What special thing do they see in him. Tennessee is losing fans by the day and all they have to look forward to is a 5-11 season next year if they are lucky....OUCH

Nobody is comparing him to Landry, just pointing out that in another era coaches were given more than a year or two to build a good team. Now it seems far too many are canned after 1-2 years.

Great coaches don't grow on trees, every time you throw somebody out and start over you set your team back several years (there are rare exceptions). Good teams know this and don't overreact.

Whisenhunt is still young, and the fact that he does have history of success in the league with Arizona will give him some more time. For comparison purposes, look at Jeff Fisher. He has coached in one SB and lost, and he also made the AFC Championship game one year and lost, but both of those seasons were over 10 years ago. Jeff Fisher is regarded as a solid HC, but he hasn't coached a winning team since the 2008 Titans. Not to make this about Fisher, but my point is that it is far too early in Whisenhunt's tenure in Tennessee to throw in the towel. Heck, three years into his tenure, and Jeff Fisher hasn't had a winning record with the Rams. Why aren't people clamoring for a change there? Success in the NFL is fleeting, and personnel management has nearly as much to do with success as does coaching. Make stupid draft decisions, poor free agency moves, and mismanage the team's financial situation, and you hinder a coach's chances for success.

In the not too distant past people were calling for Jason Garrett's head, just sayin.

Could that mean that head coaches should be given a lot more time than they are in general? Should more teams allow head coaches time to learn and fail? Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis only had one winning season/playoff appearance (year three) in his first six years. He followed that with five winning seasons/playoffs in his next six years.

• Like 1

Could that mean that head coaches should be given a lot more time than they are in general? Should more teams allow head coaches time to learn and fail? Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis only had one winning season/playoff appearance (year three) in his first six years. He followed that with five winning seasons/playoffs in his next six years.

And some would say Lewis and his Bengals haven't won a playoff game in a long time, so he should be fired as well.

I wasn't too keen on the Eagles letting go of Reid, Chip Kelly has done well and Reid is doing ok with the Chiefs. But I think that is a big exception.

I've watched my team turn over their coaching staff, front office and players with great frequency and I know it is not a recipe for success.