[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer & Microbrew thread

keggerz

Heading down to West Palm tomorrow morning. Looking forward to trying some Cigar City beers...Jai Alai being on the most wanted list of the ones that are readily available

Jai Alai is good stuff, one of a few standard IPA choices for me when at store...Maduro is a good brown, as well

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had my first Cigar City this past week and it didn't disappoint. Kinda hard to find in stores on the East coast...I found a 6 pack of Invasion Pale Ale at a Winn Dixie and a 6 pack of Jai Alai at a Total Wine. At Total Wine I also found a Maduro Brown Ale and Florida Cracker, a Witbier that I didn't get to try. I also had a can of their Hotter Than Helles Lager.

I didn't have a bad note about the lot.

I also tried a Terrapin Liquid Bliss, Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter, to compare it to the award winning stuff at my local, Willoughby Brewing Company. The Terrapin was more chocolatey but not bad.

Had a Miami Brewing Company Coconut Ale which wasn't too bad.

Made a stop in Funky Buddah Hookah Bar and Brewery since I saw their Hop Gun IPA at all stores I stopped in. The Hop Gun wasn't bad...not as good as Jai Alai or the 2 majors from the local breweries up here. The worst from FB was Breakfast Club, a maple blueberry stout. I thought I was drinking straight out of a bottle of Log Cabin. Way too sweet and no hint of blueberry at all. I was wearing my Fat Head's Tshirt and noticed they had their session IPA in bottle, Sunshine Daydream. They said it sold well. I also saw a few Fat Head's at Total Wine, which put a smile on my face.

Probably going to catch hell from the beer snobs now, but I've really, really been enjoying Hamms lately. It's just really refreshing to step back and drink a cheap beer now and then that actually is tasty and refreshing. Plus it reminds me of days gone by.

So now that I'm a Cicerone. I get asked all the time, what's your favorite beer? My reply has always been the same. Free and cold(though I do like some room temp brews). My go to beers are usually Stones Arrogant Bastard or IPA and Lagunitas Dog Town Pale or their Censored Amber along with their IPA. I get the pleasure of drinking at least 20 new beers a week and really none are drain pours. Had a barrel aged Abyss the other night that was out of this world. Even better than the Founds Breakfast Stout I had last week.

All beer is proof, God loves us and wants us to be happy

So now that I'm a Cicerone. I get asked all the time, what's your favorite beer? My reply has always been the same. Free and cold(though I do like some room temp brews). My go to beers are usually Stones Arrogant Bastard or IPA and Lagunitas Dog Town Pale or their Censored Amber along with their IPA. I get the pleasure of drinking at least 20 new beers a week and really none are drain pours. Had a barrel aged Abyss the other night that was out of this world. Even better than the Founds Breakfast Stout I had last week.

All beer is proof, God loves us and wants us to be happy

:tup:

I love Stones

Bell's Saturn is out. The fifth in the 7-part Planet Series. This one's an 11.5% Oak Barrel Aged Barleywine. I found a six for $12.99 here. Some folks are saying they're only allowed to buy single bottles. Reviews are mixed. Some say it has too thin of a mouthfeel for a barleywine and it's too bourbon forward. I'm going to let mine sit for a while to let the bourbon mellow out.

Good idea loaf. Barleywines in general do better with a bit of cellaring. Bells is such a fine brewery. We only get tastings out here, because of archaic laws, but each and every time I drink their beers I'm impressed an happy

I bought 4 beers yesterday, 2 local (maybe 3) and a Ballast Point Victory At Sea (with a rating of 98 on Beer Advocate I had to try it)...going to have to have this tomorrow night as I weep about the Browns' draft picks.

Edit: I looked in the fridge and found the 4th was a Cincinnati brewery, Rivertown. I bought their Divergent Sour Ale...

The other two:

Fat Head's Bone Head Red - still pricey at $3.25/bottle but I can fit that in. It's an imperial red ale. 93 Rating on Beer Advocate

The Brew Kettle's Kitka - Chocolate Coconut Milk Stout. mmmm mmmmmm. 89 rating

Edited by loaf