[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beli-cheat?

CaptainHook

Wow. I've heard guys announced as eligible on the broadcast lots of times. I didn't hear anything last night

An ineligible number reporting as eligible has to be announced each play, I believe. Most times, they don't put the announcement over the broadcast, you only hear it in the stadium.

Not allowed in college football. There an eligible receiver must wear an eligible numbe rand an ineligible receiver must wear an ineligible number. If someone does both he must have 2 number and change jerseys whenever his status changes.

Saban did it against LSU - may not have been mechanically the same from a rules perspective but it's thought to be what inspired the Patriots to attempt similar strategy last night.

Edit to add link to play im talking about

Edited by WashingtonD

Haven't posted here in a while, but I still visit throughout the year.

I feel like why people think this is a form of "cheating" is because of the Pats shady past. If had it been in reverse, ie. Bal doing it to NE, people would be thinking of it more as a strategy and less of cheating.

Regardless, I didn't hear it announced either and don't know enough about the rules to know if it is more shady or more genius.

As usual, correct. I saw it happen in a game this season. 6 ft 7 in 390lb kid who normally wears #60, wore #80 this specific bowl game, lined up as a TE, ran a route and caught a TD. Forgot his name but he was huge and so were his family members.

That was the Cotton Bowl. I'm a big Michigan State fan and remember watching that behemoth score for Baylor. That was the beginning of the end for Baylor.

yes, the 5 inside men on the LOS must be ineligible. The 1 man on the outside on each side on the LOS must be eligible otherwise it is illegal formation.

Isn't that part of the reason he has to report as inelligible? If not why did he declare, and why is it a big deal?

I thought I had read somewhere that he did announce it, but maybe the TV broadcast didn't pick it up. And I think Harbaugh's beef may mostly be "we didn't have time to react between the announcement and the snap" similar to having time to substitute.

Agree Belichick and the Pats take heat for this because of their past.

Belichick and the Patriots are that one guy in your fantasy league who is always looking for a loophole in the rules to exploit. Was it technically legal? Probably. And it will be addressed in the off season by the other owners, just as we all review our own constitutions in the off season.

Fans will call it shrewd and smart. Detractors will call it cheating. Personally, I'd rather see the game decided on the field rather than the scouring the rulebook to find a loophole.

• Like 2

Belichick and the Patriots are that one guy in your fantasy league who is always looking for a loophole in the rules to exploit. Was it technically legal? Probably. And it will be addressed in the off season by the other owners, just as we all review our own constitutions in the off season.

Fans will call it shrewd and smart. Detractors will call it cheating. Personally, I'd rather see the game decided on the field rather than the scouring the rulebook to find a loophole.

:lol: