[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's everybody's *actual* sport of choice?

sksmith

One you physically participate in...

Tennis got me into college but the pros just wasn't going to be a thing. Played various lower level tourneys for a while after college but too expensive to travel around each weekend and no real chance for practice w/ full-time job. I play very seldom any more

Golf is the new hobby; much easier to play by yourself than tennis. Got my handicap down to 14 after only a year and a half of playing...good enough to start looking at new clubs, the fancy expensive kind

Playing would have been basketball as a kid, always games at the park and if not you could take your ball and just shoot/practice. (I was never very good athletically and only played a little baseball in little league, nothing much organized after that).

Don't play much of anything these days, my main hobby is motorcycling and it can be more of a sport than some think (mentally and physically draining riding fast and hard on twisty mountain roads for 300 miles a day back to back).

As a spectator, football hands down, NFL first, college a distant second. Then basketball (NCAA over NBA). Used to be a baseball fan but the older I get the less I have paitence for the pace.

Edited by stevegrab

I don't participate in sports anymore, save for working out 2-3 days a week. My body's just not ready. Hoping to get back into semi-competitive basketball and soccer.

Growing up it was soccer, and then got a bit bored of it ... despite being pretty good ... and devoted more time to basketball. Was basketball through HS (average varsity player) and college (lots of intramurals against pretty solid competition) and then after college as well in pick-up fashion. Played some soccer in my final year of college (again, intramural but pretty challenging).

Edited by darin3

I don't participate in sports anymore, save for working out 2-3 days a week. My body's just not ready. Hoping to get back into semi-competitive basketball and soccer.

Growing up it was soccer, and then got a bit bored of it ... despite being pretty good ... and devoted more time to basketball. Was basketball through HS (average varsity player) and college (lots of intramurals against pretty solid competition) and then after college as well in pick-up fashion. Played some soccer in my final year of college (again, intramural but pretty challenging).

:pc: Don't forget kickball.

:pc: Don't forget kickball.

That was awesome!

I loved playing football and basketball. Played baseball as well but it wasn't my favorite. I love playing most sports and happen to be a pretty solid athlete, however, I never got to take it very far as I got a full time job through a friend of the family at a very early age and sports got cut off. I made a killing in that job though, however, wished I would've played more sports as I can't get those years back now.

Edited by irish

At 59 years come Feb. 22 I play basketball at the gym I attend. Some nights I am pretty darn good and others.......well, lets just say my age shows. I have a deadly 3 pt shot when I am on and can still take it to the hoop.

I work with a trainer 3 times a week and particapted in a 5K Mud run this past September.

• Like 4

At 59 years come Feb. 22 I play basketball at the gym I attend. Some nights I am pretty darn good and others.......well, lets just say my age shows. I have a deadly 3 pt shot when I am on and can still take it to the hoop.

I work with a trainer 3 times a week and particapted in a 5K Mud run this past September.

Kudos to you brother!

Yeah I could't do that stuff at 29, let alone now at 50.

LMAO! I went to pull plastic candy canes out of the ground last Sunday that were somewhat frozen in the ground and pulled my back out.

• Like 1

Good on you! Three years ago, for my dad's 55th bday, I signed us up for Savage Race; never heard of these mud/obstacle runs before but seemed like a fun challenge for him. Easily my favorite father/son moment.

I've done some 60 more since then; 3 Tough Mudders, 5 more Savages, and a ton of other non-national/local brands. Later this year, in November, I'm doing the idiotically fun self challenge of the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon on the 7th (starts at 10pm) and then Tough Mudder the following morning...my version of a marathon

Keep up the good work and get in another mud run! They're far more fun and rewarding than a basic road race

k-college i loved everything....

hs: frosh soccer, jv crew (won state championship), varsity lacrosse. loved football (went out for fs/ss in the spring of my junior year and got bored. started rowing)

college: lacrosse team, intramural (basketball, football, softball, hockey, soccer, volleyball)

misc outside of schools: beach volleyball, pickup basketball, pickup roller hockey, pickup soccer, football with friends, skiing, tennis

these days not too much due to misc injuries: many ankles, 3 knee (then had acl replaced), bad back injury in 00. I can ski, play a little volleyball, a little basketball, a little soccer.

Played football and baseball up through freshman year of high school, jacked my knee up playing football that year, still ain't right now in my mid 30's. After that had to switch from football to soccer for fall sport.

Didn't play anything in college other than some intramural stuff.

Have played softball now for like 10 years. I cover mad ground in the outfield.

Don't play much of anything these days, my main hobby is motorcycling and it can be more of a sport than some think (mentally and physically draining riding fast and hard on twisty mountain roads for 300 miles a day back to back).

What kind of bike? You ever made it to Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina/Tennessee border? Have some biker buddies who talk fondly of that route

Played Rugby for twenty years before concussions forced me to stop and then took up long distance running. Few marathons but cut down to 5K and 10K mainly now.

One of the ladies at my office and I go to a local pub for lunch to watch rugby; she's an All Blacks fan. We've been doing this for years, and while I love just watching, I still have no idea what's actually going on.

I respect the marathon runners. I can do halves just fine, but the mental wall that must be broken to go from 13.1 miles to 26.2 I just don't possess

she's an All Blacks fan.

Well, they do say, once you go black, you don't go back.

What kind of bike? You ever made it to Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina/Tennessee border? Have some biker buddies who talk fondly of that route

Look at my avatar, that is one of my primary rides a Honda VFR. I ride mostly sportier type bikes bikes, good at going and stopping, and turning quickly not the most comfortable though.

Yes have been to Tail of the Dragon (Deals Gap) several times, some great riding there and on other roads. Too many crazies lots of times, and tons of law enforcement too. Not to mention the truckers who think its a nice short cut and then spend hours crawling through 300 plus turns that are way to tight for them even if they use both lanes.

If your buddies are local to your area and they like curvy roads I can see how they love the Gap area, as the roads in Florida are some of the flattest/straightest outside of Kansas. They're not great here, but in a couple hours I can be in southeastern Ohio in the Appalachian foothills where there are very nice roads.

• 2 weeks later...

Love golf. Hate fn winter. :(

That's funny cause at my current point in life, I'm the opposite as we discussed the other day. Here in jersey we're expecting more snow in Sunday into Monday and I can't wait!

yep, 5-8 here Sunday into Monday last I heard

Just watched the news and they said anywhere between 4-8 and 6-12 for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played basketball in HS and college. Still play once in a while, but not consistently. Played a variety of sports in my post-college 20's and early 30's... Softball, volleyball (men's indoor, sand, and co-ed), flag football, etc. I was even in a bowling league for a couple of years... LOL. Basketball will always be my passion, although I don't play all that much anymore. Heck, I don't even watch it as much as I used to. Catch a college game or two a week, and that's about it.

Now, just golf, mostly. Kids and work make it difficult to do much more than that. We are expecting our third in June, which will make three under the age of 5 (oldest turns 5 in September). I'm definitely a golf junkie. I don't play as much as I'd like, unfortunately, but when I can't play (winter months, I'm usually watching on Sundays, and doing a couple of fantasy golf contests/leagues). I'm debating actually getting a membership somewhere next year, but we move fairly often (for work), so it might be risky to do so. I love playing new courses, though, too... So maybe I'll just stick to more variety. I've played in at least a dozen states, and although I don't have an exact count, I have played well over 100 courses (still have the scorecards for most, if not all, of them).

• Like 1