[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marcus Mariota declares for draft

tazinib1

As much as I am a Duck fan, I don't think he is pro-ready. Jamie Winston should get drafted by the Bucs which would leave the Jets at #6 with a real problem. Do they take Marcus or wait and hope for Brett Hundley? I'd prefer Hudley myself. But I really do hope the Bucs snag him with the #1 pick and Winston goes to the Jets at #6.....that leaves the Bills to make a play for Hundley.

We are getting closer to NFL draft discussions and I can't wait for Keggerz and Darin to chime in soon.

One more thought... Anybody else think Elliott should declare? His stock won't get any higher save winning the Heisman

One more thought... Anybody else think Elliott should declare? His stock won't get any higher save winning the Heisman

He is a sophomore. NFL rules state you have to be 3 years removed from high school to be eligible to play.

Jets would be foolish to burn first round draft capital on a QB. They need to build a reasonably non-horrible offense so that they can properly evaluate Geno Smith. Acquiring Decker and drafting Amaro last year was a start, but there is still a long ways to go.

• Like 1

alert its Mariota on Chicago time boys

I can give you 126.7 million reasons why that won't happen. Good luck if you think a team will sabotage their cap space via a trade. He's guaranteed $54million. Nice try....

Edited by tazinib1

Mariota is a stud when the Oregon offense is humming along. When Mariota and/or the offense as a whole is challenged (as we saw on Monday night), his flaws start to show in a big way.

He's great at throwing to open receivers. Oregon's offense is set up to get guys open in space and let athletes make plays. I suppose that is true for any offense, especially in the college ranks. But show me an offense like that in the NFL (yes, even the Eagles) and I'll tell you to lay off the crack pipe.

He's big, tall, and a tremendous athlete for his size. Not saying he can't develop into a quality NFL starter, but he has a TON of work to do: namely, being able to throw into tight spots... not just to open receivers.

Where he differs from Winston is obvious... Winston has played in a pro-style offense and has shown that he's pro-ready. It's a shame you can't replace Mariota's head for Winston's. And Winston's pro-readiness for Mariota's.

I fear that Mariota will be taken early, by a bad team, and forced into early duty. He won't have time to develop. He'll throw interceptions and will be subject to the starting QB see-saw.

• Like 2

Mariota is a stud when the Oregon offense is humming along. When Mariota and/or the offense as a whole is challenged (as we saw on Monday night), his flaws start to show in a big way.

He's great at throwing to open receivers. Oregon's offense is set up to get guys open in space and let athletes make plays. I suppose that is true for any offense, especially in the college ranks. But show me an offense like that in the NFL (yes, even the Eagles) and I'll tell you to lay off the crack pipe.

He's big, tall, and a tremendous athlete for his size. Not saying he can't develop into a quality NFL starter, but he has a TON of work to do: namely, being able to throw into tight spots... not just to open receivers.

Where he differs from Winston is obvious... Winston has played in a pro-style offense and has shown that he's pro-ready. It's a shame you can't replace Mariota's head for Winston's. And Winston's pro-readiness for Mariota's.

I fear that Mariota will be taken early, by a bad team, and forced into early duty. He won't have time to develop. He'll throw interceptions and will be subject to the starting QB see-saw.

Agreed. And the fact Marcus rarely played under center will be a big problem. He's gonna need some time, but has the skills and tools to develop into a decent starter under the right coaching staff. Chainey could be that guy if he can somehow mold Gino into a competent starter until Marcus is ready. But yeah, thrown to the wolves is a scenario that won't bold well.

Edited by tazinib1

Agreed. And the fact Marcus rarely played under center will be a big problem. He's gonna need some time, but has the skills and tools develope under the right coaching staff to be a decent NFL starter.

This is becoming less of an issue in the NFL. I agree with the point as a whole, though.... that the guy excelled in a fairly gimmicky offense and will need to work to develop as a pro.

I think the Bucs will take one of the QB's #1 overall. Barring any further off field drama, it's gotta be Winston. Being that their receiving corps is built to win at the point of attack, they should prefer the guy who has proven pro-style accuracy. If they had a bunch of speed demons, I could see rolling the dice on Mariotta's upside.

It would be refreshing to see Washington trade down if they are in position to pick whichever one is left. But Washington being Washington, it would not surprise me to see them stupidly trade up to draft one at 3 or 4.

It would be refreshing to see Washington trade down if they are in position to pick whichever one is left. But Washington being Washington, it would not surprise me to see them stupidly trade up to draft one at 3 or 4.

Washington would be stoopid passing up Brandon Scherff or Andrus Peat (sc?) ... Then again OL isn't sexy so it wouldn't surprise me to see Snyder screw it up

Yep, while watching the game Monday and them talking about the Ducks 3rd down conversion %, and how it dipped heavily at 5-6 yards I thought "Even the Eagles aren't that bad converting on 3rd and medium, you must be able to do that to succeed in the NFL.

The last paragraph sounds like he'd be a great fit in Cleveland, and they've already said they won't rule out drafting a QB early (and we have 2 1st round picks). :kicksrock:

Also Taz mentioned the Bills making a play for a QB, they don't even have a first round pick if I recall correctly, confirmed Browns own the Bills first round pick at #19.

Also Taz mentioned the Bills making a play for a QB, they don't even have a first round pick if I recall correctly, confirmed Browns own the Bills first round pick at #19.

Correct. Hundley is not 1st round material as of now. I can see Buffalo making a play for him in the 2nd. I thought I said that?

Correct. Hundley is not 1st round material as of now. I can see Buffalo making a play for him in the 2nd. I thought I said that?

Gotcha if you said second round I missed it. And I'm not up on who's projected to go where.

Just thought I'd mention it because somewhere else recently somebody talked about the Bills taking somebody early.

Still waiting to hear what Cordale Jones decides, he has until tomorrow to declare for the NFL if he chooses. Or can he convince Myer to make him the starter for 2015. Otherwise riding the pine for a year isn't going to raise his stock any.

Gotcha if you said second round I missed it. And I'm not up on who's projected to go where.

Just thought I'd mention it because somewhere else recently somebody talked about the Bills taking somebody early.

Still waiting to hear what Cordale Jones decides, he has until tomorrow to declare for the NFL if he chooses. Or can he convince Myer to make him the starter for 2015. Otherwise riding the pine for a year isn't going to raise his stock any.

If he does declare, he'd be a mid round pick at best IMO considering he's as raw as a Rocky cow carcus punching bag

Edited by tazinib1

Brock Huard today referred to Hundley as a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Interesting. I can see an early mid round projection based on a lack of QB need like last year, but I simply don't see him slipping past 2nd round. He's much like Marcus from an offensive scheme standpoint but has a cannon arm and great accuracy. He won't be drafted to start right away but will be expected to step up in as little as 1 season. JMHO of course

Winston is too risky IMO to take as a "face of your franchise" top pick. Then again, the Bucs are pretty desperate for a solution. But Mariota is making the right move by declaring. His stock is not going to get better, and this class of QBs is so meh it boosts his value a little.

• Like 1

Winston is too risky IMO to take as a "face of your franchise" top pick. Then again, the Bucs are pretty desperate for a solution. But Mariota is making the right move by declaring. His stock is not going to get better, and this class of QBs is so meh it boosts his value a little.

The consensus from Huard and other sports radio guys(ex-players like Dave Wyman) and others is that Mariota is the real deal. He may not come in and start from week one and be Andrew Luck, but he's got everything needed to succeed at the NFL level and comes with a lot less PR risk than Winston. Huard didn't expound on the reasons for Hundley going in the middle rounds other than to say his game has obvious warts.

lol darin try

Mariota is a stud when the Oregon offense is humming along. When Mariota and/or the offense as a whole is challenged (as we saw on Monday night), his flaws start to show in a big way.He's great at throwing to open receivers. Oregon's offense is set up to get guys open in space and let athletes make plays. I suppose that is true for any offense, especially in the college ranks. But show me an offense like that in the NFL (yes, even the Eagles) and I'll tell you to lay off the crack pipe.He's big, tall, and a tremendous athlete for his size. Not saying he can't develop into a quality NFL starter, but he has a TON of work to do: namely, being able to throw into tight spots... not just to open receivers.Where he differs from Winston is obvious... Winston has played in a pro-style offense and has shown that he's pro-ready. It's a shame you can't replace Mariota's head for Winston's. And Winston's pro-readiness for Mariota's.I fear that Mariota will be taken early, by a bad team, and forced into early duty. He won't have time to develop. He'll throw interceptions and will be subject to the starting QB see-saw.
Your analysis is horrendous.. It's funny how Mariota would of been the second coming had his defense held up and they won the national championship... the guy didnt throw a pick and went 24 of 33 or 330 yards and tds. Open recievers dropping countless passes and its clear his quickness and speed cant be contested, hes got the right footwork.. reminds me of Wilsons in many ways.. a quickness that cant be contested, hes a defensive cordinators nightmare. His ability to throw on the run is incredible, hes very similiar to Aaron Rodgers in terms of being able to throw rockets on the Run, the guy throws the ball with Zip and Velocity and I havent seen him have trouble fitting it in tight spots, its more of an over throwing problem sometimes... other than that, You're confused again on your analysis.. watch all his games just not 1 and come back and check in. Edited by InTomWeTrust