[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marcus Mariota declares for draft

tazinib1

Mariotta makes me nervous. Does not appear to have that "clutch" gene. Could be a good QB on a great time but does not (to me) appear to be the type of young QB to rally a bad team.

Regardless, taking a QB who in the first round is foolish. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft.

Mariotta makes me nervous. Does not appear to have that "clutch" gene. Could be a good QB on a great time but does not (to me) appear to be the type of young QB to rally a bad team.

Regardless, taking a QB who in the first round is foolish. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

there wont be for a long tim either.. but mariotta is better than any other qb to come out from 2007-2015 not named andrew luck

:facepalm:

I stopped at Matt Ryan, Stafford, Flacco, Newton :wonders:, Kaepernick

Kaepernick a better prospect tha Mariota ? :rofl:

Cam Newton ? Possibly. He has all the pysical tools but Mariotta has proven to be the better passer

Stafford? No. Besides a little more arm strength

Flacco? From Univeristy of Delaware? NEVER a beter prospect

Matt Ryan? The guy was average at best in a weak acc confernence for Boston College, his arm and release in terms of strength are better than Mariottas coming out.

I can give you 126.7 million reasons why that won't happen. Good luck if you think a team will sabotage their cap space via a trade. He's guaranteed $54million. Nice try....

Guaranteed money isn't the cap concern when trading players, it's the dead money signing bonus allocation. The new team picks up the salary terms, which are $16M next year and only $13M total after that. Cutler has only $4 dead money to Chicago. Next year's $16M is irrelevant, because that burns off the first year anyway, and a $13M future dead money is pretty small risk to see if a QB can pan out. Make him a June 1 cut and that's only $7.5M per year. Easy to take that on from a pure cap perspective.

His absolute lack of personal accountability is a far bigger concern than his contract.

• Like 1

Brock Huard today referred to Hundley as a 3rd or 4th round pick.

If he does declare, he'd be a mid round pick at best IMO considering he's as raw as a Rocky cow carcus punching bag

Way too early to accurately call these. Jones could easily get into the second round and Hundley could easily be in the 1st. The NFL is infatuated with potential at QB and they don't care about risk. It's riskier to go into the season with Matt Schaub at QB than it is to take a flier on Hundley at #20. If he busts you're guaranteed to be picking early again soon and get another chance to roll the dice again. QB's just don't come along in FA, there's no other way to get them. You have to be right, and you have to be right earlier than anyone else taking a swing.

• Like 2

Guaranteed money isn't the cap concern when trading players, it's the dead money signing bonus allocation. The new team picks up the salary terms, which are $16M next year and only $13M total after that. Cutler has only $4 dead money to Chicago. Next year's $16M is irrelevant, because that burns off the first year anyway, and a $13M future dead money is pretty small risk to see if a QB can pan out. Make him a June 1 cut and that's only $7.5M per year. Easy to take that on from a pure cap perspective.

His absolute lack of personal accountability is a far bigger concern than his contract.

I can always count on you to clear up cap issues for me.

In short, I'm sticking to my guns concerning Marcus and the ludicrous idea he will EVER go to the Bears.

ok so we are talking $20.5M this year to cut Cutler and sign Marcus. Now what are they gonna do with the $7M left over in cap space with those FA's and HUGH defensive holes to fill?

I can always count on you to clear up cap issues for me.

In short, I'm sticking to my guns concerning Marcus and the ludicrous idea he will EVER go to the Bears.

I agree, but more because I don't think they will move Cutler. He's a very talented QB, and a team is highly unlikely to move along from one of those, it's just too hard to replace.

I agree, but more because I don't think they will move Cutler. He's a very talented QB, and a team is highly unlikely to move along from one of those, it's just too hard to replace.

Agreed as well. I didn't even get into that aspect of it though. I guess I was expecting dumb dumb to know that already :lol: … my bad on that one.

And just to clarify, I'm no Bears expert or homer. I'll leave that up to Tom, Gil and Darin, among others, to chime in if they feel the need to do so. I'm guessing they have dumb dumb on ignore…I just can't bring myself to do it yet. I need the daily laughs.

I think both of the big-name QBs this year have the potential to be very successful in the NFL, but both are fairly risky picks. Winston needs to get his honda together off the field, and Mariota will need to develop as a passer. Mariota wasn't asked to read defenses much in the Oregon offense, and did not have to throw into very tight windows at all. I know this will draw many rofl emoticons from our resident expert, but IMO, Winston is the better QB. If he wasn't such a moran, I think he would be ahead of Mariota on most draft boards. His game has some blemishes as well, (has really struggled with the zone blitz, throwing several INTs this year because of it) but overall he's the better passer and the most pro-ready out of the two. I'd like to think he shapes up once he gets to the big leagues, but Manziel has definitely proven that it doesn't always work that way.

Edited by bud29

ok so we are talking $20.5M this year to cut Cutler and sign Marcus. Now what are they gonna do with the $7M left over in cap space with those FA's and HUGH defensive holes to fill?

Cutting him is a whole different deal. Yes, they would eat all of the dead money if they cut him. I was alluding to the thought of trading him. His dead number is $19M.5, so if they designate him a June 1 cut 1/2 of that would stay on this year, 1/2 would hit next. I don't think they cut him under any circumstance.

If they trade him they eat only $4M from last year's restructure bonus.

actually his 2016 salary is $16M and this year is $15.5

He got a $5M "signing bonus" tagged onto his 2014 base salary of $17.5M

All of that money is guaranteed.

2015 is fully guaranteed, but that's pretty much already spent, either by the Bears or whoever trades for him.

2016 salary isn't yet guaranteed, $10M of it guarantees in March, and that's included in my $13M numbers.

The $5M restructure bonus had $1 allocated last year, another $1 will allocate in 2015, and the last $3M is the other $3M of my $13M above.

And just to clarify, I'm no Bears expert or homer. I'll leave that up to Tom, Gil and Darin, among others, to chime in if they feel the need to do so. I'm guessing they have dumb dumb on ignore…I just can't bring myself to do it yet. I need the daily laughs.

I can't tell which user needs more attention than twit but there are a few.

Put aside the debate of whether the kid will be a good pro, which I don't believe he will be. He'll play backyard ball like Manziel if pressed into duty too quickly. He is fundamentally weak in progression reads and will drive a professional coaching staff crazy...he is a project at best.

The Bears need to build their OL, their LB's and the rest of their secondary.

OL, LB, S, CB, DL are all massive needs whereas QB is not since you could put any QB in the league on the Bears and they will suck wind for many years. The talent is depleted.

Tillman/Briggs....gone. Conte blows. No strength in pass D.

This kid will be bought by some team but it will not be the Bears, nor should it be.

Way too early to accurately call these. Jones could easily get into the second round and Hundley could easily be in the 1st. The NFL is infatuated with potential at QB and they don't care about risk. It's riskier to go into the season with Matt Schaub at QB than it is to take a flier on Hundley at #20. If he busts you're guaranteed to be picking early again soon and get another chance to roll the dice again. QB's just don't come along in FA, there's no other way to get them. You have to be right, and you have to be right earlier than anyone else taking a swing.

Agree 100 percent. Hitting on Wilson in the 3rd, is one of the major reasons my heehawks have had such success over the past three years. They took a risk and they scored a very good qb faster than most other teams. Couple that with a great D, and wham, instant success.

Now as for Mariota, I sincerely hope he sits behind a decent qb for a few years and works hard on his game, learning and developing as much as possible. Then and only then will he be a good NFL qb. If hes thrown into the fire, hes done. That coming from a hugh Oregon fan and have watched every game hes played.

Edited by heehawks

Agree 100 percent. Hitting on Wilson in the 3rd, is one of the major reasons my heehawks have had such success over the past three years. They took a risk and they scored a very good qb faster than most other teams. Couple that with a great D, and wham, instant success.

Now as for Mariota, I sincerely hope he sits behind a decent qb for a few years and works hard on his game, learning and developing as much as possible. Then and only then will he be a good NFL qb. If hes thrown into the fire, hes done. That coming from a hugh Oregon fan and have watched every game hes played.

So you explain to me where you think Russell Wilson is a better quartback...

Please explain the difference in quickness and footwork from Russell Wilson to Mariota

Explain to me the intangables in terms of awareness and leadership and being able to have that WILL to win

Please tell me where Wilson excels and Mariota doesnt..

I watched Russell Wilson at NC STATE and Wisconsin and if you can sit there and say Wilson was better in all these ways you're wrong.