[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stand by for "DeflationGate"

tazinib1

I saw on SC that the teams inflate the balls to wherever they want inside the range and then give them to the refs. This occurs sometime during the week. The refs are supposed to check the balls to make sure they are inflated within the range. Then the teams get the balls back a few hours before game time and are told not to alter them. Gimme a break. The NFL is just asking for it with rules like that.

Why not just have the teams inflate them, turn them over to the refs and let the refs keep control of the balls? Seems like cheating was bound to happen eventually. I'm sure it's already happened before.

...and leave it to Bellichick to "exploit" the lame NFL "rules".

no integrity from my point of view. We all hope to playing on the same level field to see what team is the better team. The patriots obviously have not lived up to those rules with the countless times they have been caught. What about the times they do not? The validity of all wins are in question with this team now. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

i really fail to see why this is even a "story"...seriously, don't the officials handle the ball on every play? if it was a problem, why wasn't it corrected on the spot (or, can't the multi-billion $$$ NFL afford to equip the sidelines with a $5 hand pump from sports authority)?

• Like 2

Not sure if I posted this or not, but there was discussion of how the Colts found out. Somebody asked (may have been on another forum) that it was strange for the player who intercepted Brady (DQ Jackson) noticed. But it wasn't him, it was a member of the equipment staff

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/patriots-deflating-footballs-colts-interception-reportedly-prompted-deflate-gate/

Hmm another article (from the Boston Globe) I read now indicates that Jackson told the equipment guy he thought it was underinflated, and that was reported by a Boston sports anchor.

Also the details I read said ball must be between 12.5 and 13.5 PSI. 2 pounds less would be 10.5, or about 15 less than the minium. Pretty significant different. Think of our car tire at say 30PSI being down to about 25PSI.

While no one can reasonably think that a slightly deflated ball is responsible for the Colts loss, I heard one comment that does ring true. The Pats obviously thought it was an advantage or they would not have bothered with it. And as far as the refs not noticing it, realize the refs don't squeeze the ball much since they never throw it. They just catch it from someone softly tossing it to them and then place it on the ground. And often in a hurry. They never just stand there holding the ball. Sadly this and spygate does impact the legacy of a team that otherwise is a model franchise with a respected owner.

This is NOT what the NFL wants for the biggest story going into the biggest game of the year.

• Like 4

Think about that 12th ball that was inflated correctly. Was that in case they got caught and the refs asked for a ball to examine they would throw that one to the ref. I think the 12th ball is the smoking gun. Why keep that 12th ball correctly inflated? Sucks to be a Pats fan today. Should have been a fun two weeks talking about the game and Xs and Os. We as fans do not hire the coach, but I guess we all drank the kool aid. What will be will be. Out of our control.

Also Raven coming out today and saying that the kicking balls two weeks ago seemed under inflated.

I think it fits under Charles' Law which states that as the temperature of a gas decreases, the volume of the gas decreases, like a basketball that is left out in the cold and then you cannot dribble it until the gas particles warm up. What was the temperature in Foxboro for the game? Perfectly good scientific explanation, right?

Interesting. Don't both teams play with the same ball?

Excerpt from Linked Article

Each team supplies the officials with 12 game balls, with the home team providing an additional backup 12. But importantly, each team gets to use the balls that they provide on offense.

So apparently no they do not.

Excerpt from Linked Article

So apparently no they do not.

Only the special K kicking balls are shared by the two teams. The teams don't get to modify them and they are in control of the officials the whole time (as I understand from reading several stories recently).

Regardless of the outcome of the investigation and any punishment, I suspect the NFL will change the rules and not allow the teams to control the balls after the refs check them out. Or they may completely stop teams from tinkering with them.

There were 11 underinflated balls, and 1 that was within the acceptable range. My question is do the refs do like a spot check of all the balls - or do they just do one?

And.. Do the refs REALLY do this before every game? Seems kind of tedious to be checking the pressure of 24 balls before every game. But - I guess it's not 'too' far fetched - different sport, but NASCAR - those you're always reading after races how certain drivers were fined for things being out of spec.

There were 11 underinflated balls, and 1 that was within the acceptable range. My question is do the refs do like a spot check of all the balls - or do they just do one?

And.. Do the refs REALLY do this before every game? Seems kind of tedious to be checking the pressure of 24 balls before every game. But - I guess it's not 'too' far fetched - different sport, but NASCAR - those you're always reading after races how certain drivers were fined for things being out of spec.

In most racing the top X vehicles (podium finishers, top 10, etc.) are required to go through a more detailed tech inspection after the race. That is when those .0003 mm extra wing heights are detected. (I don't follow NASCAR much but have read this is the common method for "spot checking" the vehicles.

I would hope the refs do it before every game, not like it takes hours to measure 24 balls.

Very interesting to learn about how QB's treat the football and how QB's prefer different psi. Rodgers, for example, likes his inflated to the max allowed. Other QB like them to the minimum. QB hand size is also another factor.

All in all, I think Belichick/Patriots receive a hefty punishment based on history alone.

I just don't get why it was deemed necessary. They are a great team, a very we'll run franchise. Top notch drafts, ability to recycle older players via FA and did I mention extremely well coached? It just baffles my mind.

• Like 1

Very interesting to learn about how QB's treat the football and how QB's prefer different psi. Rodgers, for example, likes his inflated to the max allowed. Other QB like them to the minimum. QB hand size is also another factor.

All in all, I think Belichick/Patriots receive a hefty punishment based on history alone.

I just don't get why it was deemed necessary. They are a great team, a very we'll run franchise. Top notch drafts, ability to recycle older players via FA and did I mention extremely well coached? It just baffles my mind.

Brady ain't no spring chicken.

Rick Vaughn: You put snot on the ball?

Eddie Harris: I haven't got an arm like you, kid. I have to put anything on it I can find. Someday you will too.