[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stand by for "DeflationGate"

tazinib1

Not during the 2nd half...prior to it. In fact, if you remember, there was a delay getting off the first play of the 2nd half. That delay was due to the fact they the backup-balls were still being inspected, and the refs had accidentally placed a kicking ball at the line-of-scrimmage.

According to a report from WEEI, officials used replacement balls in the second half of the AFC Championship, after testing the Patriots' footballs at halftime:

The Patriots used 12 backup footballs for the second half of Sunday’s AFC championship game after issues were found with most of the original 12 balls used by the offense in the first half, an organizational source told WEEI’s Joe Zarbano.

Team spokesman Stacey James confirmed to WEEI.com that the team had 24 footballs available, 12 of which were tested by the officials pregame and another dozen stored inside as backups.

After the officials found that the majority of the balls used in the first half were below the acceptable PSI as mandated by the NFL, the backup balls were brought in. According to the source, the backup balls were tested and found to be at the correct levels, and subsequently put into play — just barely in time, as the second half already had started by the time the testing was completed. This is why the officials stopped play and swapped out the kicking ball on the first play from scrimmage of the second half.

So they scored more when their balls were full?

Would seem so...

In this game yes, but that doesn't mean that they should be absolved for cheating (if they were). Not sure if either of you read the articles I linked but the 2nd one was VERY interesting.

According to a report from WEEI, officials used replacement balls in the second half of the AFC Championship, after testing the Patriots' footballs at halftime:

The Patriots used 12 backup footballs for the second half of Sunday’s AFC championship game after issues were found with most of the original 12 balls used by the offense in the first half, an organizational source told WEEI’s Joe Zarbano.

Team spokesman Stacey James confirmed to WEEI.com that the team had 24 footballs available, 12 of which were tested by the officials pregame and another dozen stored inside as backups.

After the officials found that the majority of the balls used in the first half were below the acceptable PSI as mandated by the NFL, the backup balls were brought in. According to the source, the backup balls were tested and found to be at the correct levels, and subsequently put into play — just barely in time, as the second half already had started by the time the testing was completed. This is why the officials stopped play and swapped out the kicking ball on the first play from scrimmage of the second half.

That's pretty much exactly what I meant to say. That they went to their back-up/replacement balls after halftime. I was just reinforcing that it wasn't during the 2nd half...it was just after they kicked off the 2nd half.

On another note, I was listening to some talk radio here in Chicago, and many callers were saying this is really no worse than a batter using too much tine par, or a pitcher using too much resin, or a hockey player using a blade with too much curve....all of which are looked at as minor offenses, even when caught.

Made me think a bit that this Deflategate is much ado about nothing :thinking:

Much ado about nothing? If you intentionally alter a piece of equipment for you or your teams benefit , while skirting the league rules, its cheating. Plain and simple. And they should be punished for it accordingly.

And in all of those cases you listed, the person(s)/team involved would be fined and/or suspended. The NFL is no different.

If I'm caught stealing a pack of gum, its still theft and I would face charges. Nothing different here.

Edited by tazinib1

On another note, I was listening to some talk radio here in Chicago, and many callers were saying this is really no worse than a batter using too much tine par, or a pitcher using too much resin, or a hockey player using a blade with too much curve....all of which are looked at as minor offenses, even when caught.

Made me think a bit that this Deflategate is much ado about nothing :thinking:

You have your head buried in the sand.

Much ado about nothing? If you intentionally alter a piece of equipment for you or your teams benefit , while skirting the league rules, its cheating. Plain and simple. And they should be punished for it accordingly.

And in all of those cases you listed, the person(s)/team involved would be fined and/or suspended. The NFL is no different.

If I'm caught stealing a pack of gum, its still theft and I would face charges. Nothing different here.

In hockey, its a two-minute minor penalty. that's it. In baseball, they remove the bat from the game. period. No fines, no suspensions.

I'm not saying the Pats shouldn't be punished. They should. I am just trying to figure out what the proper perspective is, relative to other sports where players alter the equipment to gain an edge.

FWIW, to your final point, not all thefts are equal. Stealing a pack of gum is a much different penalty than stealing a car.

Edited by SoxBandit

What is the penalty for using a loaded bat in baseball? How about if the team manager gave all the batters loaded bats? That's the difference here, it's not one receiver getting caught with stickum on his gloves, but rather a systemic breaking if the rules to benefit the entire offense.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 2

What is the penalty for using a loaded bat in baseball? How about if the team manager gave all the batters loaded bats? That's the difference here, it's not one receiver getting caught with stickum on his gloves, but rather a systemic breaking if the rules to benefit the entire offense.

Again, not sure that is apples to apples.

Is a ball being deflated akin to corking the bats of an entire team? Or akin to bit too much pine tar on all the bats? One offers a huge advantage, the other a very modest one.

Is a ball being deflated akin to putting an extra couple millimeters of bend in a shooters stick, or more akin to a goaltender's pads being too wide. Again, I have no idea.

I have no idea how much an advantage a few pounds of psi really is. And I don't want to use the scores of each half as an example, because I really don't think its representative (even though it would work to my point). The flow of the game changed after they Colts were down two TDs, the 2nd half score had less to do with psi than it did about the score of the game at that point.

Again, not sure that is apples to apples.

Is a ball being deflated akin to corking the bats of an entire team? Or akin to bit too much pine tar on all the bats? One offers a huge advantage, the other a very modest one.

Is a ball being deflated akin to putting an extra couple millimeters of bend in a shooters stick, or more akin to a goaltender's pads being too wide. Again, I have no idea.

I have no idea how much an advantage a few pounds of psi really is. And I don't want to use the scores of each half as an example, because I really don't think its representative (even though it would work to my point). The flow of the game changed after they Colts were down two TDs, the 2nd half score had less to do with psi than it did about the score of the game at that point.

Well, if there is any validity to the analysis that Keg linked and considering the metrics behind wins/losses and how closely they are tied to turnovers then I would argue that it would make a fair analogy,

Ask Marty McSorley is a curved stick has any repercussions. I do not care if they were replaced at half time the game had been changed already. Harder to fumble, easier to catch and throw especially in the cold. The whole game can change by gaining an advantage depending on what the score. Cheaters...period.

Plus you could also say that the Patriots are repeat offenders with spygate in terms of trying to gain an unfair advantage, regardless of what the perceived benefit is.

This whole thing is such a crock. Teams have been skirting the rules on footballs for ever. Every quarterback in the league likes the ball a certain way when they throw it. And teams "adjust" the footballs to their quarterbacks preference.

This should be a freaking non-story. The only reason it gets play right now is because there is nothing else to talk about.

Edited by Chief Dick