[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manziel checks himself into rehab

Shorttynaz

CLEVELAND -- Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel entered treatment on Wednesday, adviser Brad Beckworth told ESPN.com through a Manziel spokesman.

"Johnny knows there are areas in which he needs to improve in order to be a better family member, friend and teammate and he thought the offseason was the right time to take this step," Beckworth said.

"On behalf of Johnny and his family, we're asking for privacy until he rejoins the team in Cleveland."

Browns general manager Ray Farmer said in a statement that they support Manziel's decision.

"We respect Johnny's initiative in this decision and will fully support him throughout this process. Our players' health and well-being will always be of the utmost importance to the Cleveland Browns," Farmer said.

"We continually strive to create a supportive environment and provide the appropriate resources, with our foremost focus being on the individual and not just the football player. Johnny's privacy will be respected by us during this very important period and we hope that others will do the same."

Interviews by ESPN.com with nearly 20 Browns sources, both on the record and on condition of anonymity, along with several NFL personnel sources reveal the Manziel-related problems run deep.

Those who spoke talked of a yearlong pattern that showed a lack of commitment and preparation, a failure to be ready when given a chance in his first start against Cincinnati and a continued commitment to nightlife, which affected his preparation and work while in the team facility.

On a Tuesday in the final week of the season, Manziel stood in front of about 20 media members and outlined his plan to become the Browns' answer at quarterback. He wanted to be "the guy" for Cleveland, he said, and would do so by taking his job more seriously. He was more animated than he'd been all year, eager to declare his intentions. Four days later, stories in the Browns' facility began to circulate. Manziel was not present the morning before the season finale. Team security drove to Manziel's downtown home to check on him. The Browns were packing up for the season finale at Baltimore on Dec. 28.

Two team sources said security found a player who they felt clearly had partied hard the night before. One source used the words "drunk off his a--."

The official word was that Manziel was "late," but players said they didn't see Manziel until the Browns' chartered airplane prepared to take off in the afternoon, that he was not present all morning. The team fined Manziel for missing treatment on his injured hamstring, then had him sit in the locker room during the season finale in Baltimore.

"Johnny's his own worst enemy," one source said.

The Monday after the season, Manziel had another news conference, saying many of the same things from six days earlier -- actions must support words. That night he was featured in Instagram photos on Miami Beach, a few days later at a club in Houston and a few days after that on a mountain in Aspen, Colorado.

"I brought this on myself," Manziel said the day after the Baltimore game. "I brought these cameras and all these people that are in this locker room right now and I don't think it's fair to myself, I don't think it's fair to anybody in this locker room the distractions I've brought at points in time."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12267487/johnny-manziel-cleveland-browns-entering-rehab-improve-himself?ex_cid=sportscenterFB

Edited by Shorttynaz

Hope it works out for him. I'm not a fan, but this step earns a small measure of respect.

Does this now automatically enter him into the NFL substance abuse program (meaning he is on alert for immediate suspensions)? Or maybe he was already in the program without us knowing it.

At least he recognizes the problem and is taking measures to improve.

agreed ..he is 20 years old and it can not be easy ..at 20 i tried to party like a rock star and i had no money so i cant criticize Manziel totally

hope this helps him personally

Edited by isleseeya

They figured out he sucked after they drafted him. But Manziel and Josh Gordon? Red flags aplenty.

Gordon was taken in the supplemental draft. Those picks are dice roll fliers anyhow, so not like they took any real risk.

At least he recognizes the problem and is taking measures to improve.

I'm not convinced he recognized anything other than he better give the appearance of doing something before his job slips away ... forever; i.e. I am not convinced that he isn't going through the motions because his agent convinced him his career depended on the appearance of him cleaning up.

• Like 1

They figured out he sucked after they drafted him. But Manziel and Josh Gordon? Red flags aplenty.

You don't have to dig very deep on those two to see they had problems. Yes I believe they did their homework, and thought both guys could be turned around. Gordon was ok to start, then problem after problem after problem.

Manziel was still a rookie and not taking the NFL seriously. Wonder if they had told him "you're the starter, its your team" if he'd had taken things more seriously.

I just hope this is a sincere attempt to change his attiitude and habits. If the Browns or his agent (family, etc) forced him into rehab, or if he did it only to create an image of working to change then it will end badly.

Local reaction is mixed, many don't like him to start and feel this isn't sincere. Others are not as concerned about him being a good NFL player and just hope he straightens himself out before he spirals down a dark hole. I think the best time for this would have been last offseason, but it apparently took some time (and possibly the latest suspension for Gordon) to get him to accept he needed this.

As for the question about the NFL substance abuse program, pretty sure this puts him in level one, I read that yesterday from a local media source that knows the NFL rules well (Tony Grossi).

Here is a recent local article that I just started reading, which appears to have more info (if you believe reporters today who usually base most of their story on unconfirmed rumors from unnamed sources).

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/how_johnny_manziel_raised_his.html

PS Apparently the Colts didn't do their homework on TRich before sending the Browns a first round pick for him ether. Not that much research was needed. Not every team can luck into 2 franchise QBs in the draft.

Another article I just read said whether Manziel goes into the NFL substance abuse program is up to the doctors working with him in rehab. It is not automatic as some others have reported.

So at best I'd say he might go on, but its not certain. I think this makes sense, if the doctors find he has an addiction problem, then he should be in and if its alcohol he craves that should be prohibited.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/how_johnny_manziel_raised_his.html

Edited by stevegrab

Didn't they give up second round draft pick to select him in the supplemental round?

Didn't realize the supplemental draft costs picks from the next years draft. In that case, the Browns did make a sizable investment that is currently in the crapper.

well since this is the closet to the "bash the Browns as idiots" thread as we have.l I give you their other 1st round pick this past year....

Justin Gilbert - DB - Browns

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Browns first-round CB Justin Gilbert was seen "more as a nuisance than an asset" by the end of this past season.

"He was routinely late, was a chronic knucklehead and rubbed teammates and coaches the wrong way," writes La Canfora, who has an excellent writeup on the new lows of the Browns at the link below. Gilbert, the No. 8 pick in last year's draft, was reportedly often late to games. He played just 373 snaps as a rookie and tumbled behind UDFA K'Waun Williams and fourth-rounder Pierre Desir. Much like teammate Johnny Manziel, Gilbert has the early makings of a bust.

Source: CBS Sports Feb 4 - 12:52 PM

and for good measure

Ray Farmer - G - Browns

The Browns could be fined and docked a draft pick, while GM Ray Farmer is facing a multi-game suspension as a result of "TextGate."

The Browns are having one heck of a start to the offseason. Johnny Manziel is in rehab, Josh Gordon has been banned for one year, and now the team is staring at stiff penalties because a front-office member -- suspected to be Farmer -- was texting coaches on the sidelines during games this past season. The NFL is expected to wrap up its investigation into the matter either this week or next.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an intersting article in the local paper. It includes a link to another story where Mike Mayock admits he got something things wrong with Manziel, specifically overlooking the potential negatives.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/02/the_cleveland_browns_must_be_c.html

The article with more from Mayock during a pre combine conference call yesterday

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/mike_mayock_still_thinks_johnn.html

Mayock is basically saying no way the Browns should trade up for Winston or Mariota. This one quote was pretty good. And some other comments that basically say the Browns took enough risks last year, and need good quality players (a top WR, a RT or maybe TE) with their 12 & 19 picks in round 1.

"As far as Manziel's future is concerned, I still buy into the quarterback,'' he said. "I still think he can learn to be a difference-maker in this league. But I think almost all of it is contingent upon whether he grows up, is able to handle himself, is able to overcome the problems he has and move forward with the football.''

Thank GOD, Jerry got duck taped in a broom closet when they put in the card for Martin instead of Johnny Rehab. Avoided a disaster of a pick. I hope that moves him to lean on the brain trust when it comes drafting in the future because they have done one hell of a job evaluating talent and picking solid guys. The past few drafts have been very solid. Reminds me of the Parcells and JJ years.

Thank GOD, Jerry got duck taped in a broom closet when they put in the card for Martin instead of Johnny Rehab. Avoided a disaster of a pick. I hope that moves him to lean on the brain trust when it comes drafting in the future because they have done one hell of a job evaluating talent and picking solid guys. The past few drafts have been very solid. Reminds me of the Parcells and JJ years.

It took Jerry a long time to understand he isn't the expert he thought it was. Gives me some hope that our idiot owner can learn and stop meddling.

But hey at least we have that cool new logo. Such a ground breaking change (not that most fans wanted a major change, but they sure hyped the hell out of it when it was simple a new shade of orange on the helmet).