[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk golf...

sksmith

Not bad coming out of such a long winter break

This house sell/buy adventure has restricted me to range work only last few weeks...which is probably best anyway as I work toward shortening my swing to get better form/consistency; I'll gladly sacrifice a little distance for accuracy. Got the 7-9 irons under pretty good control at this point, able to hit certain distance flags within a pretty close radius

• 2 weeks later...

Got a round in this morning...50 on the front nine and 38 on the back; putting was horrendous to start, 3 putted almost every hole. Calmed down after the turn and put in a solid showing

• 2 weeks later...

Got new irons on Thursday. Taylormade RSi 1 with Reax 90 stiff. Hit the range Thursday and Friday, played 9 Saturday at the muni to start getting a feel for them. These are ridiculously straight, and they are loooooong. I clanked a bunch obviously, but the ones I hit well were pretty incredible.

Today was the first real round with them, and I some absolute stripes. Played a very difficult course (129 slope) and shot 48/39 87. 6 strokes were from lost balls off tees, so can't blame the irons and that could easily have been an 81. I'm pretty stoked, because my iron play has struggled the last 12 months, and a boost here could really move my game.

With the handicap down to 14, I think it's time to graduate past my crappy knock-off irons and invest in a good set that will assist in moving toward a single digit handicap. What are you guys swinging? Cavity-back v blade? Custom shafts?

I'm currently very interesting in Taylormade SLDR and Tour Preferred MC, Ping i20, and Callaway Apex (Titliest AP2 714s just aren't in the price range yet)

Just re-read this, kind of explains Seahawks comments. Did you get new irons? That's kind of a mish-mash list you have there, I-20s are a few years old, Apex and AP2's are some serious players' irons. I just got some Taylormade RSi 1's and had it narrowed down to that or Titleist AP1, with Callaway XR coming in a distant 3rd. I probably could have gone RSi 2 but I've never really felt much need to work the ball, and I wanted to err on the side of caution. My iron game has been putrid the last couple of years and while my short game has caught fire (finally) this year, I'm leaving a LOT of strokes on the course with iron play. I wasn't even playing blades or anything.

The RSi 1 are some interesting clubs. The sound is just kind of a dull thud when I strike it pure, and the ball flight is sky freaking high. I am looking into reshafting them into something with a lower launch just in case this ends up being problematic - too early to tell, but it can get pretty windy here and in the past it's wrecked my iron game. My miss seems to be a lazy fade. I don't think I've missed left yet with them. They are pretty much just dead straight, which at this point in my game I will take. I'm driving it well, putting off the charts, and short game has returned to be a strength. If I can just get some level of predictability out of my iron game it will do wonders for me.

Edited by flemingd

I haven't yet...decided to hold off, save even more, and splurge on both new set and full custom fit. I loved the feel of the Apex and the "results" from the digital shot tracker; same for AP2s. Haven't hit the RS series yet, but they sure do look like the SLDRs. Did like the Callaway XRs, but they looked and felt a tad clunky.

Thinking late August/early September to start the search again. I did finally get my 52 degree wedge reshafted; forgot how much I really missed that club for the 100yd range; the 56 always came up short and the PW just wasn't precise

Played at an event in Indy this weekend and I can now say these things are going to revive my game. I've been a solid 15-16 the last couple of years, but working through each aspect of my game with irons being the most recent. I shot a 77 on Friday at a tough (71.6/130) course I've never seen before, and 39 on the front Saturday before falling apart (off the tee) to shoot 39/47=86. I was catching all kinds of hell from the crowd for turning in a 14 HC after that 77 on Friday. That's probably the best round of gold I've ever played. I've scored lower, but never on a course that difficult or that I didn't know very well.

These irons are now officially dead straight, and loooooong. I hit a 4 iron 215 uphill. I didn't have that in my bag 20 years and 20 pounds ago. TM is notoriously strong, RSi 1 being no exception, but still that's absurd for me. I haven't tried to work them, and probably can't, but I don't care if I'm hitting them dead straight like I am. My misses seem to result in a weak fade, loss of 5-20 yards and right 5-10. I could rattle through all the great iron shots I hit this weekend and it would probably surpass all the great iron shots I hit in the previous 11 rounds this year combined. I'm not fully dialed in on distances with shorter irons yet, but I see a lot of range time in my near future while I work them out.

• Like 1

Had some flare ups with a few cases and spent a good amount of the week at Universal Studios corporate offices, which is conveniently located in the middle of all the big golf retailers. During lunch and meetings that were strictly legal strategy I'd sneak off and have a demo fest...the Callaway XR's are strange, at one shop I'd love 'em and at another same set would just feel dead and weak. I didn't notice much difference between the new RS1's and the SLDR's, though Taylormade guy assured me it was all new technology. Our discussions eventually led to an impromptu fitting session and we argued some more (I saw the impact tape of the shorter shafted option much more on center than the standard length, and the shot tracker thing agreed). That said, you're right, they are pretty darn straight and very forgiving. I'm not sure I should go the RS route if I already feel they are essentially the same as the SLDR's, which I can get at significantly less money...maybe there'll be a decent enough price drop in the next couple months where when I go to plop down money that issue isn't as large as it is now. Also, they had the new Aeroburner Mini's: love! Guy also suggested Adams Blue driver as something to look in to (didn't have in lefty to see) if I like the feel and consistency of the mini but want the bigger distance a traditional driver would give

Played at an event in Indy this weekend and I can now say these things are going to revive my game. I've been a solid 15-16 the last couple of years, but working through each aspect of my game with irons being the most recent. I shot a 77 on Friday at a tough (71.6/130) course I've never seen before, and 39 on the front Saturday before falling apart (off the tee) to shoot 39/47=86. I was catching all kinds of hell from the crowd for turning in a 14 HC after that 77 on Friday. That's probably the best round of gold I've ever played. I've scored lower, but never on a course that difficult or that I didn't know very well.

These irons are now officially dead straight, and loooooong. I hit a 4 iron 215 uphill. I didn't have that in my bag 20 years and 20 pounds ago. TM is notoriously strong, RSi 1 being no exception, but still that's absurd for me. I haven't tried to work them, and probably can't, but I don't care if I'm hitting them dead straight like I am. My misses seem to result in a weak fade, loss of 5-20 yards and right 5-10. I could rattle through all the great iron shots I hit this weekend and it would probably surpass all the great iron shots I hit in the previous 11 rounds this year combined. I'm not fully dialed in on distances with shorter irons yet, but I see a lot of range time in my near future while I work them out.

good stuff Fleming!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife wanted to surprise me this wkend for fathers day with the Nike vrs x's I've been wanting. The 3 closest Dick's Sporting Goods are out of them. Ordered from tgw.com this afternoon, supposed to be here Tuesday. :pickle:

Not worried about the recall?

I had some Nike's are really liked them for a while, they are a fine golf club. I had been really fighting them lately and it was time for a refresh.

Loving the RSi's. They are stunningly straight, and the miss is so forgiving, it's really tough to get trouble left or right. Everything is just short. I'm still getting distance dialed in, and actually miss quite a bit still so not hitting a lot of greens, but the miss is so consistently "slightly short, slightly right" that I'm just not finding any trouble. This game is pretty easy when you play where they mow. Since coming back from Indy I've shot 84, 79, 78, 81, 82 with the new irons.

It helps that I got a new putter. Long story, but I'm currently gaming a ladies' putter, and making everything with it. The last five rounds have been 29, 28, 26, 29, and 28 putts. I hit 12 putts on the front Thursday! Part of that is my short game, but part of it is rolling putts from everywhere. After I made a 40 footer for birdie a couple weeks ago my buddy asked if I had my skirt on, to which I replied "I'd wear a prom dress if it means dropping 40 footers". My putting has been a strength lately, averaging 31.6 putts the last couple of years, but this is new territory.

I'm not sure I should go the RS route if I already feel they are essentially the same as the SLDR's, which I can get at significantly less money...maybe there'll be a decent enough price drop in the next couple months where when I go to plop down money that issue isn't as large as it is now.

I don't mean to pimp the RSi's, certainly get what feels best to you, but I got these for $429 4-PW. That's pretty reasonable for current gen tech. I got a returned set I'm pretty sure, the 8i and PW were modestly hit, the 4i, 5i, and 7i weren't hit, the 6i and 9i had a few swings on them. Very tightly grouped dead center, I'm guessing the guy was a player and returned them because he couldn't work the ball with them. My win.

• 1 month later...

Curve ball: bought a set of Ping i20s! The price was irresistible compared to the newer irons, but it was the feel that kept me coming back. So soft, light, and solid at impact. Nothing but range time with them so far but next weekend is a golf outing, looking forward to seeing them in action

• 2 weeks later...

I played yesterday for the 1st time in quite awhile. 40-41. Closed my stance just a little and loosened my grip on the driver. Hit a few bad ones but most were in play, didn't count fairways hit but would guess 10/14. I'm LOVING my vrsx irons. Very straight. Biggest reason I scored as well as I did (81 is a real nice score for me) was I made alot of putts

• 1 month later...

Two rounds in with the new Ping i20s...love love love!

An 85 and an 86...putter left way too many strokes out there and the sudden extra distance on irons took a bit to adjust to. The old 8 iron was worth about 120. New 8 was flying 150 with ease. And the mini-driver is magic off the tee: 250+ straight as an arrow

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any additions/deletions from your set?

I just got done with a re-grip on my 20+ year old Ping putter - putting on one of those Medium sized Super Stroke grips. Looking forward to it.

I'm adding a CG Black 3 wood to the bag - haven't carried a 3 wood for many years, and can see using it on many of my favorite courses, where I didn't have the option before.

I've been one under the limit for quite some time, so don't need to drop a club.

Added an Adams Pro DHy hybrid (18*), dropped all fairway woods, and traded old Odyssey putter for new Cleveland Two-Square putter with Super Stroke grip

All great decisions...maintaining an average of 89 while only playing once a month or so, expecting a good drop once daylight savings hits and I can golf later in day