[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WTF is Chip Kelly doing?

CaptainHook

In the last year, he's traded away the team's best QB (Foles) and best RB (McCoy). He cut their best WR (Jackson) and let their second best WR (Maclin) walk away via free agency. The dude has balls of steel or is certifiably insane. The Eagles didn't make the playoffs last year . . . what happens if they regress this year? In return he has traded for three torn ACL's (Bradford and Alonso). What is he doing???

If he was trading for draft picks, I'd say I get it. The spread offense is taking over at the college level. Some teams don't like to draft these players for fear of how they will project into a pro offense. The Eagles could theoretically take them lower, and plug them into a system they are familiar with. But that is not what he is doing. He is letting good players walk for NOTHING or trading AWAY more draft picks. The Rams had to be looking around in bewilderment as Kelly offered to swap Bradford for Foles AND GIVE THEM MORE PICKS.

Edited by CaptainHook

Great thread - this has got to be the question of the offseason so far.

My guess is that he's looking for players that buy into his system. That and he may still think he's in the college game where he gets to rule with an iron fist. He won the earlier management power struggle and now he's basically nuked the team. We either have a rare genius or another garden variety egomaniacal narcissist coach. The money is probably not on the "rare genius."

Getting rid of DeSean I get but he started to cut into the meat with McCoy and Maclin. So far he's subtracting and getting nothing or very little for his players. I really don't get the terms of the Bradford-Foles trade - why is there an Eagles' 2nd round pick in there. It seems more logical to argue that Foles for Bradford is a wash.

In the last year, he's traded away the team's best QB (Foles) and best RB (McCoy). He cut their best WR (Jackson) and let their second best WR (Maclin) walk away via free agency. The dude has balls of steel or is certifiably insane. The Eagles didn't make the playoffs last year . . . what happens if they regress this year? In return he has traded for three torn ACL's (Bradford and Alonso). What is he doing???

Kelly must have a ton of faith in his system to show DJax, McCoy, Maclin and Foles to the door.

DJax wasn't buying into things, so I understand letting him walk. But seeing McCoy, Maclin and Foles all leave have been huge surprises.

Memo to coach Kelly: you need talented players to make any offensive system work. Just sayin'.

In a few years, we'll find out whether Kelly is a genius or an idiot.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

The dude has balls of steel or is certifiably insane.

Well at Oregon he did have the nickname "Big Balls Chip".... :thinking:

His previous moves made a certain degree of sense with the understanding that they were going to move up and grab Mariota - looked like he was doing a 2-3 year rebuild while MM transitioned to the pro game. The Bradford trade blew all that up. He reminds me of the one super cocky guy in every Madden connected franchise that trades away his studs for scrubs just to make a point that he "can win with anybody." Invariably, that guy always misses the playoffs.

Not to mention providing any incentive for free agents to give Philly any serious consideration.. If im a player and im bound to play for a team that's gonna suck, ill pick Jax or TB, or even San Diego cause let's face it - Chargers are a long way off..

Not to mention providing any incentive for free agents to give Philly any serious consideration.. If im a player and im bound to play for a team that's gonna suck, ill pick Jax or TB, or even San Diego cause let's face it - Chargers are a long way off..

I don't see that as an issue. Chip will just sell it as they weren't his guy, you are going to be one of MY guys!

Gutsy calls for sure. If he can swing a trade that sends Bradford to another team and lets him move up I get it. Or maybe he just sees a lot of potential in Bradford? This could be the year Bradford stays healthy and finally lives up to his potential. :brow:

I sure would hate to be an Eagles fan right now...

Kelly's simply believes his success comes from his system and not the players. That's great when you can recruit the best from the entire country with no salary cap. He's going to land resoundingly on his arse for having such a huh ego. Then he'll run back to the college ranks where he can be the big fish again, claiming that his passion is for the college game.

• Like 2

Or maybe he believes his offense can be successful without big money players. If his offense is truly revolutionary, he'll be able to fill it with players other teams don't want, but who fit his system. When the West Coast offenses of the 49ers and Packers were so dominant in the 80's and 90's, they did it without spending much money on offense. Other teams were giving big money to offensive linemen whereas the 49ers and Packers didn't need as good of offensive linemen because they weren't running the ball much and their quarterbacks were doing 3 and 5 step drops. This allowed both teams spent more money on their defenses than their offenses.

49ers = Montana/Young

Packers = Favre

Eagles = Bradford/Sanchez

Big difference there.

• Like 2

I don't see why everyone is all bothered by these moves. The only thing I question is the giving up of a draft pick for Bradford. Yes Bradford is a risk but pre-injury he was superior in every regard to Foles who, at best, is an average starter. Usually taking on risk means you get compensated, not give it. Also assuming they'll acquire another WR in FA. Maybe Crabtree or someone like that.

Trading DJax worked. Now letting Maclin go? I like Matthews, so we shall see. I think the WR cog can be replaced in his system. But running back? Not sure about that. I get McCoy's contract was too much, but still. It's good to see Kelly invest on the defensive side of the ball though.

I hope Bradford plays well, always liked him. And he get gets reuinted with his rookie year OC. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

He didn't trade Desean Jackson. They cut him. They got nothing in return. I get the fact that he wants guys that fit his system. But he is giving away good talent and getting nothing in return.

DeSean Jackson, Nick Foles, LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin, a second round pick in 2016 = Kiko Alonso and Sam Bradford?

Edited by CaptainHook

For every subtraction, there needs to be a decent addition. I don't know if its fair to say they got nothing for letting Jackson and Maclin go. By not spending money on them, didn't it free up cap space so they could sign other guys? Like Sproles last year? And Maxwell/Matthews/etc this year?

I'll reserve the desire to bash him on the Bradford swap until I see how it plays out. As michaelredd points out, a lot of other franchise quarterbacks were acquired for more than the Eagles had to pay for Bradford. Some paid exceptionally more and got a dud. Obviously, Kelly sees something most of us don't, so he either knows more about football than a bunch of schmucks on a message board, or he has a plan. Based on his 20 wins in two years after inheriting a trainwreck of a team, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he deserves less.

He didn't trade Desean Jackson. They cut him. They got nothing in return. I get the fact that he wants guys that fit his system. But he is giving away good talent and getting nothing in return.

DeSean Jackson, Nick Foles, LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin, a second round pick in 2016 = Kiko Alonso and Sam Bradford?

Based on this, they did better than the 49ers, who got nothing for Gore. And did better than the Texans, who got nothing for Andre Johnson. Teams let good talent go for the betterment of heir teams all the time. Hell, our Bears gave away a stud WR in Marshall for a mid-round draft pick, just to get him and his contract off the team. Happens all the time.

Thurmond signed and Ryan Matthews is out in Philly today. An old guy called into the local station and said he can't go to games anymore because all the handicapped spaces are going to be taken.

But on a serious note after the full range of emotions on paying draft picks for Bradford, Im more willing to see whats going on. Its clear nobody was sold on Foles. I see Bradford as a backup plan if moving up in the draft is too much or as trade bait because the rams somehow had leverage in the trade. I guess we'll see. Bradford handing off to Matthews andddd they both go down.

• Like 1

Unless the Eagles can still move up in the draft, I don't see how they're not stuck with Bradford as their starter. If no one moves up to #5 to take Mariota, John Clayton yesterday said you can put it in the bag. Mariota will be the next QB of the Redskins. They'll take him in a heartbeat.

Kelly just talked to the media. Said he's not guna mortgage the future to draft Mariota. Also said he was offered a 1st round pick for Bradford this morning. Sounds like he plans to start Bradford unless he's not.

Kelly just talked to the media. Said he's not guna mortgage the future to draft Mariota. Also said he was offered a 1st round pick for Bradford this morning. Sounds like he plans to start Bradford unless he's not.

I call cow pies on that.

Edited by Wolverines Fan