[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WTF is Chip Kelly doing?

CaptainHook

He got rid of McCoy's big cap number and replaced it with Murray and Alonso with room to spare. He also got a RB, er, running back that is more north-south than McCoy, so it should fit his scheme better.

He still needs to sign a receiver and a safety, and address some other areas, but I like the move. :shrug:

• Like 1

DeMarco Murray's year is directly attributable to the Dallas Cowboys offensive line. Anybody that thinks he's worth north of $8 million per year is an Eagles homer. Dallas wouldn't pay it. Neither would anybody but the Raiders. 'Nuff said.

Not sure they need Mathews if they get Murray but I suppose with the injury histories of both players its worth having a plan B.

Not sure if you saw an above post Akie, but Matthews never actually signed. They "reached an agreement", but no signature on the papers yet. Even with the injury histories it doesn't make much sense to spend that much money on RBs.

Not sure if you saw an above post Akie, but Matthews never actually signed. They "reached an agreement", but no signature on the papers yet. Even with the injury histories it doesn't make much sense to spend that much money on RBs.

He signed now according to this: http://fansided.com/2015/03/12/ryan-matthews-joins-demarco-murray-signs-with-philadelphia-eagles/

Yup. Little surprising, but at least there is redundancy in the backfield.

As far as the money I think we got a good deal. Murray and Alonso combined are cheaper than McCoy was for us.

Eagles fans keep saying that. How about after adding in the $3.5 million in dead money from the McCoy trade? Or having to sign Mathews too?

Eagles fans keep saying that. How about after adding in the $3.5 million in dead money from the McCoy trade? Or having to sign Mathews too?

I saw you mention this $3.5 million before and I can't seem to find any article that mentions it. I'm not doubting it's true, but I would like to see a link if you have one.

Despite the talk of a shared backfield I'm still not sure I'm buying it. In the end I'm okay with it, but I'm wondering if he's got something else up his sleeve.

Thanks Captain.

While it changes the outlook on the money I'm still okay with it. Kelly gets guys that will play the way he wants. I'll never argue that McCoy was a great back. He played great for us, but he just didn't fit the system. Kelly is not going to shape his offense to his team. He will shape his team to match the offense he wants to run.

Like it or not he's the coach and he's going to do things his was regardless of what anyone says or thinks about it. I'm tired of all the local crybabies I have to listen to everyday complaining about their favorite players being gone and the team being worse. Until they are on the field you have no idea what this team is capable of regardless of what they look like on paper. He's the coach and he's got control. He has a very impressive track record and only time will tell if it translates in the NFL.

The biggest hurdle I see for him is whether or not we give him enough time to build his team. Could the Eagles regress this year? Absolutely. It may have to get worse before it gets better. That being said, the team I watched last year wasn't ever going to be a contender without making moves. Whether these were the right moves or not will be determined soon enough.

It was assumed trading McCoy was a money saving move. Clearly, they didn't expect Murray to be available. If you look at guaranteed money, Murray and Alonso together are $1 million less than McCoy. Then you add Mathews, and how Chip believes they fit his system better, and yeah, they made out more than okay IMO. Sure, money is rich for Murrary. But someone was going to pay that. If he plays well and they do well as a team, did they still overpay? Hope this works out.

This isn't the 1st time I've seen this. Can you explain exactly what this means?

Chip wants a power runner. Someone who will hit the hole and take 2 yards if that is all that is there. He didn't like McCoy's improvising and bouncing outside. McCoy also apparently didn't like taking handoffs in the shotgun.

Chip wants a power runner. Someone who will hit the hole and take 2 yards if that is all that is there. He didn't like McCoy's improvising and bouncing outside. McCoy also apparently didn't like taking handoffs in the shotgun.

I guess its just odd that a coach can't make a RB the caliber of Shady fit in his offense, that's all

It was assumed trading McCoy was a money saving move. Clearly, they didn't expect Murray to be available. If you look at guaranteed money, Murray and Alonso together are $1 million less than McCoy. Then you add Mathews, and how Chip believes they fit his system better, and yeah, they made out more than okay IMO. Sure, money is rich for Murrary. But someone was going to pay that. If he plays well and they do well as a team, did they still overpay? Hope this works out.

Money may have played a part but fit was the issue.

This isn't the 1st time I've seen this. Can you explain exactly what this means?

Zooty nailed it. Some guys are plant and go runners, Shady isn't.

I guess its just odd that a coach can't make a RB the caliber of Shady fit in his offense, that's all

yet he can make an immobile QB fit his system. Puzzling. Maybe Stephen A. is right and he's just racist