[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NFL is dropping its blackout policy for 2015

Wolverines Fan

About time.

Exactly. Archaic as hell. Does anyone really think "man, I should go to this game, it might not be broadcast so it's the only way I can see it"? If fans are going to go, it will be because the product is worth paying for. Lower prices, improve the product, enhance the experience (food/fun/entertainment/other) etc. I would imagine the lost advertising revenue would be even more incentive to air it.

Old man Wirtz did this for years in Chicago with his NHL team, voluntarily...total dope and pure stupidity.

No point squeezing for every drop of juice.

They will find a way to tax the fantasy industry though..if it isn't already being done..

^Shefter hasn't tried to watch football in Orlando, then...Jags are often listed as game on local but ends up being some other game

I guess they feel that this won't have any impact on NFL Sunday Ticket or stadium sales - which it won't. May be related to the dwindling numbers of TV watchers that generate advertising rates and dollars. More viewers is a good thing for advertising.

I guess they feel that this won't have any impact on NFL Sunday Ticket or stadium sales - which it won't. May be related to the dwindling numbers of TV watchers that generate advertising rates and dollars. More viewers is a good thing for advertising.

This is what it comes down to. The NFL has calculated that it would be more profitable to air the game regardless of attendance. All other reasons for lifting the blackout are PR horsehonda.

maybe they show other games cuz the Jags are awful :unsure:

Correct that is not a blackout, that is the Orlando station showing a game they feel gets better ratings.

I believe the current rule is that road games are required to be shown in both primary (e.g Cleveland for the Browns) and secondary (e.g. Youngstown for the Browns) markets, but home games only have to be shown in the primary market.

The blackout rules have been relaxed recently with some teams opting to take an 85% of capacity option or tarping off seats to reduce capacity (and thus attendance needed to avoid a blackout).

This is still just a test for one year, and I read elsewhere that if gate revenue drops a specific amount (read 8-10% or more) then they will bring back the blackout policy.

Doesn't affect many markets because they have a strong fan base, in many cases season ticket holders alone almost surpass the blackout threshold. Browns hasn't had one in many years, probably the same for many other teams.

Last thing to add from reading elsewhere, there is talk that this could be a precursor to moving a team to LA (talk is for 2016) since they could have massive blackout issues depending on the temporary home. And the last thing the NFL wants is all LA going from showing 3 daytime games every Sunday to having less than 3 sometimes and most of the home games blacked out on local TV (ad rates would drop significantly because of the market size and losing those viewers).

See my other post and how this could relate specifically to a team relocating to LA and potential lost audience if those games are blacked out.

LA already has a team, the Saints :shrug: Or are you saying there is enough of a base to have two teams?

The Shreveport Stallions? The Lafayette Lancers? The Boosier City Bayonettes? The Monroe Minutemen? Or, be still my beating heart....The Baton Rouge Bandits? :brow:

• Like 1

LA already has a team, the Saints :shrug: Or are you saying there is enough of a base to have two teams?

The Shreveport Stallions? The Lafayette Lancers? The Boosier City Bayonettes? The Monroe Minutemen? Or, be still my beating heart....The Baton Rouge Bandits? :brow:

Little old no? Seems like the kind of post that goes against what you said in your own post about being an ass and posting just to post.

• Like 1

Little old no? Seems like the kind of post that goes against what you said in your own post about being an ass and posting just to post.

Its a joke, brother. Relax. Just trying to have a little fun amongst the 4-5 posts per day this place gets. But thanks for being the no-fun police. I'll make sure to keep it as stale as possible in the future.

• Like 2

Right because LA is such an uncommonly used abbreviation for a team.

It stopped being funny after the first 2-3 times you did it. Don't go all SNL (Saturday Night Live) on us try to turn a simple joke into 3 minute sketch that was only funny for 30 seconds.

Doesn't bug me, but does make you look silly.

It stopped being funny after the first 2-3 times you did it. Don't go all SNL (Saturday Night Live) on us try to turn a simple joke into 3 minute sketch that was only funny for 30 seconds.

I didn't "do it" any times. Zero. It was other Huddlers who knew you were being an ass that piled on. Not me.CaptainHook, Papajohn Gilthorp and Zooty were the one's making fun of you, not me. :shrug:

yeah, I'm the one that looks silly. You are getting pwned. I'd quit while you're behind.