[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At least one NFL team in LA by 2016

DMD

Been hearing "nearly a done deal" for a long time about this and I'm not going to believe it until they have at least broken ground on a new stadium. Or the NFL announces there is a team relocating.

While all current scenarios have some probability, its still far from a done deal that any team will be in LA in the next few years.

Sorry, but its just endless speculation and rumors.

• Like 1

Been hearing "nearly a done deal" for a long time about this and I'm not going to believe it until they have at least broken ground on a new stadium. Or the NFL announces there is a team relocating.

While all current scenarios have some probability, its still far from a done deal that any team will be in LA in the next few years.

You can believe or not believe whatever you want, but going ostrich-style on this is pretty short-sighted.

Pretty much everyone in the know says this is the furthest along these "rumors" have been in a long, long time.

• Like 1

I think we'll see the Rams in LA as soon as next year. They stand to gain about 1.5 million in equity at a minimum by moving to LA. The largest Rams booster club anywhere is still the So Cal Rams boosters. Kroenke spends a ton of time here, has a home here (and his daughter with whom I work and am friends with).

I dunno but I tend to agree with this - I'll believe the relocation when it actually happens. It will happen eventually but until then it's just a leverage point for owners to extract concessions in new stadium deals.

You can believe or not believe whatever you want, but going ostrich-style on this is pretty short-sighted.

Pretty much everyone in the know says this is the furthest along these "rumors" have been in a long, long time.

I'm not playing ostrich, it doesn't impact me so ignoring the rumors or not believing it is "just around the corner" isn't going to bite me in the ass. (Sure some could point at my post and say, "See we told you."

I just think these rumors are only a little stronger than the ones in the past. The league is saying it will happen, but even those who are on the "LA committee' (whatever its called) are saying different things, some say 2 teams, others say 1, others are non committal. Add in at least 2 possible stadium deals in LA, and at least 2 of the current team locations working on plans to build a new stadium to keep their team.

The reality is it COULD happen for 2016, but even that is still a big IF.

Of all the scenarios presented in the article DMD linked, two are shown as most likely

Inglewood gets built - Rams alone

No moves in 2016

So it seems just as likely that a move happens as that one doesn't. But very few want to accept that for some reason.

I dunno but I tend to agree with this - I'll believe the relocation when it actually happens. It will happen eventually but until then it's just a leverage point for owners to extract concessions in new stadium deals.

Thanks. It has been a leverage point for years, and teams/owners may miss that. I think the NFL really does want a team in LA, and the majority of owners are in favor of it. But there a lot of details to work out, and the NFL isn't going to allow a team to bolt fo LA while there are efforts to build new stadiums in their current locations. (Both STL and SD are making strides.)

I'm not playing ostrich, it doesn't impact me so ignoring the rumors or not believing it is "just around the corner" isn't going to bite me in the ass. (Sure some could point at my post and say, "See we told you."

I just think these rumors are only a little stronger than the ones in the past. The league is saying it will happen, but even those who are on the "LA committee' (whatever its called) are saying different things, some say 2 teams, others say 1, others are non committal. Add in at least 2 possible stadium deals in LA, and at least 2 of the current team locations working on plans to build a new stadium to keep their team.

The reality is it COULD happen for 2016, but even that is still a big IF.

Of all the scenarios presented in the article DMD linked, two are shown as most likely

Inglewood gets built - Rams alone

No moves in 2016

So it seems just as likely that a move happens as that one doesn't. But very few want to accept that for some reason.

Thanks. It has been a leverage point for years, and teams/owners may miss that. I think the NFL really does want a team in LA, and the majority of owners are in favor of it. But there a lot of details to work out, and the NFL isn't going to allow a team to bolt fo LA while there are efforts to build new stadiums in their current locations. (Both STL and SD are making strides.)

I don't give two flips about what one article says. You're missing the point (as you typically do).

But hey, you want to use this article as the source document for this, fine.

You say there's an equal chance of nothing happening as there is the Rams moving here. My point is this is the furthest along these rumors have been since they were in fact rumors.

Do you understand now?

Darin,

Yes I understand, rumors are futher along, that still doesn't mean "At least one NFL team in LA by 2016" as DMD's thread title says, or as many articles use in their headlines or lead into the story. As you read the details it becomes more clear that its still about a 50-50 chance of any team relocating to LA in 2016. Doesn't matter how many people report on it as if its a fact.

Not sure what your big beef is here, apparently I'm not entitled to my opinion because it disagrees with what you, DMD, or the mass media and NFL is telling us (that it is a near guarantee when it is far from that).

In part its my general dislike for headline "this is going to happen" then story continues "well maybe, or maybe not, we don't really know". I know how people will see the topic title, the headline and say "awesome the NFL is returning to LA in 2016".

• 2 weeks later...

should be interesting with Kronke also building a stadium in LA :thinking:

http://www.ocregiste...0-nfl-rams.html

but according to some a team will never move to LA :lol:

I think the NFL wants two teams in LA and the Carson site is far superior to the Inglewood site. Plus, the Carson site has already been approved by the city's discretionary body (see my link) while the Inglewood site still has hoops to jump through.

Again, for the head-in-the-sand'ers.... not saying this is a sure thing but it's far beyond where it's been in previous years.

ETA: Kroenke is a playa. He knows what he's doing. He's forcing St. Louis' hand to give him a phat stadium... which they're in the works for right now. The Raiders/Chargers co-stadium deal has real legs.

Edited by darin3

Two teams? Seriously? How f'n stupid could they possibly be? One team in LA has a good chance at thriving. Two teams splits the potential fan base and potential revenue. Yes, I know the Bay area supports two teams... but when you are introducing a new product to a limited area, why would you intentially create competition for that market? I hope they do it. I hope two teams end up in LA, and I hope both of them fail within a few years, just so that I can shake my head in utter disbelief at their stupidity.

• Like 1

One thing I wonder about, sounds like both stadium groups are doing end arounds with city government passing things instead of putting them to a public vote, which removes the need for lengthy, expensive and possibly divisive environmental studies (was mentioned in an article I read about the Carson vote and approval by council). In So Cal won't that bring out the big environmental groups trying to prevent these projects for fear of destroying some important Josh Gordon (see the milkweed issues from off road recreation areas in the SoCal deserts being closed or greatly reduced).

Call me head in the sand if you want, I acknowledge things are further along than ever, but there is still much work to be done. Not the least of which is the NFL committee on LA relocation reviewing the plans and giving their approval to one of them to build, and for a team to relocate there. With both SD and STL having serious plans being worked on to build new stadiums it seems unlikely (based on what the NFL has said before) that they're going to let one of them move. So will the Carson stadium get built, then maybe only the Raiders relocate there?

One thing I wonder about, sounds like both stadium groups are doing end arounds with city government passing things instead of putting them to a public vote, which removes the need for lengthy, expensive and possibly divisive environmental studies (was mentioned in an article I read about the Carson vote and approval by council). In So Cal won't that bring out the big environmental groups trying to prevent these projects for fear of destroying some important Josh Gordon (see the milkweed issues from off road recreation areas in the SoCal deserts being closed or greatly reduced).

Call me head in the sand if you want, I acknowledge things are further along than ever, but there is still much work to be done. Not the least of which is the NFL committee on LA relocation reviewing the plans and giving their approval to one of them to build, and for a team to relocate there. With both SD and STL having serious plans being worked on to build new stadiums it seems unlikely (based on what the NFL has said before) that they're going to let one of them move. So will the Carson stadium get built, then maybe only the Raiders relocate there?

It would have happened by now if there was going to be some big environmental outcry. There is no huge outcry.

I still think Kroenke's plan is the one that ends up happening. One of the two teams in the Carson stadium venture will end up staying in their current market.

• 4 weeks later...

Huh...

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the NFL's desire to have a team in Los Angeles by 2016 "cannot be understated."

Per La Canfora, "several sources" at this week's league meetings considered the Chargers/Raiders' joint bid in Carson, Cal. as the "early favorite" over Rams owner Stan Kroenke's project in Inglewood. La Canfora reports there are concerns Kroenke couldn't break out of the Gateway City "without a protracted fight." That may be true, but Kroenke has vaster resources than his L.A. rivals, and remains ahead with his stadium plan. Contradictory reports will likely continue through the end of the year, but the league's L.A. return appears poised to come to a head early next winter.

Huh...

That site has major toxic waste issues. It's going to take some serious cleanup before they can even begin working on a stadium. I find it difficult to believe the Chargers leave San Diego. I could see Oakland leaving but I think ultimately you may see them come into LA as the second team into the new Inglewood stadium to join The Rams once the Chargers decide to stay put.

That site has major toxic waste issues. It's going to take some serious cleanup before they can even begin working on a stadium. I find it difficult to believe the Chargers leave San Diego. I could see Oakland leaving but I think ultimately you may see them come into LA as the second team into the new Inglewood stadium to join The Rams once the Chargers decide to stay put.

I read in the OC Register earlier this week that it got State clearance from an environmental/toxic standpoint.