[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Report: Tom Brady will be suspended

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1163/tom-brady

Citing "several key sources," the New York Daily News reports Roger Goodell is expected to announce Tom Brady's suspension next week.

The Daily News' Gary Myers writes, "it is no longer a matter of if the NFL commissioner will suspend Brady, but for how long he will suspend him." Myers reports there is "little doubt" Goodell considers Brady's ball-deflation tactics "a serious violation," and that the Ted Wells investigation shows "Brady cheated."

Myers' "feeling" is Brady will be suspended for only two games, which would be good news after CSN New England reported the Patriots are "bracing" for a 6-8 game ban.

Myers hints that Bill Belichick may also face discipline for "ignorance" in the matter, a la Sean Payton following the BountyGate scandal. May 8 - 8:20 PM

Brady suspended four games without pay per NFL Network.

Patriots fined one million dollars, will lose their 2016 first round pick, and their 2017 fourth rounder.

The two equipment guys were suspended indefinitely.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

They sort of had to come down hard IMO. The Pats have a history of rule bending and Kraft is buddies with Goodell. After what they did to Sean Payton, they couldn't come up with just a slap on the wrist for Brady. It would look like favoritism.

• Like 2

They sort of had to come down hard IMO. The Pats have a history of rule bending and Kraft is buddies with Goodell. After what they did to Sean Payton, they couldn't come up with just a slap on the wrist for Brady. It would look like favoritism.

After what they did to Payton, Belichick ought to catch something from this.

• Like 2

I didn't see the without pay part of it until now. They didn't say that on the radio but that is a big time penalty.

The NFL fines players for not having their socks pulled up so if they let this one slide, I could be done with them too.

What Brady did was beyond the level playing field. It is sad that we need to "set an example" each and every year with new fines to new players. But they just think rules are for the other guys and not them.

Not sure what the appeals process is but the NFL has a terrible recent track record - wouldn't surprise me to see this mostly overturned if they can get to a neutral arbiter or a court, a la Rice.

Couple points:

-innocent until proven guilty still applies. You can't dock Brady for not handing over text messages. The onus is on the NFL to prove something.

-how many other teams are doing exactly the same thing?

-with properly inflated balls, the Pats continued to annihilate Indy and then won the Super Bowl

No love at all for Belichick and Brady's recent media performances have been poorly done. Still, the NFL really does make up the rules as they go along and the more arbitrary they are the more their credibility is hurt long term.

I think the punishment fits when you look at the big picture. This isn't the first time this Patriots management has been caught cheating. They were already punished and that apparently did not matter to them. If the first kick doesn't get their attention...kick harder!

Not sure what the appeals process is but the NFL has a terrible recent track record - wouldn't surprise me to see this mostly overturned if they can get to a neutral arbiter or a court, a la Rice.

Couple points:

-innocent until proven guilty still applies. You can't dock Brady for not handing over text messages. The onus is on the NFL to prove something.

-with properly inflated balls, the Pats continued to annihilate Indy and then won the Super Bowl

No love at all for Belichick and Brady's recent media performances have been poorly done. Still, the NFL really does make up the rules as they go along and the more arbitrary they are the more their credibility is hurt long term.

They can punish Brady for not handing over text messages, the NFL has punished people previously for obstructing an investigation so in theory it's being consistent on that one. As we've seen with Josh Gordon being suspended for having a legal substance in his body, the NFL rules work things differently.

Couple points:

Actually, no it doesn't. As has been stated on the forum many times, this is not a court of law, they can punish the team however they see fit, which is the only reason the Saints management was not able to get their suspensions reduced or removed. As for Brady, he has a CBA to fall back on just like the Saints players did. He will get his suspension reduced to 2 games even though I don't believe he should.

Good question, but at this point it doesn't matter. All the NFL cares about is hammering the guy who got caught. Honestly though, I would say none. Just look at the fumble rates for every team for the last 10 or so years. Nobody is even really close to NE in that regard over that period, which would lead you to believe that they have been doing this for a very long time.

Can't argue with you there at all.

I think the punishment fits when you look at the big picture. This isn't the first time this Patriots management has been caught cheating. They were already punished and that apparently did not matter to them. If the first kick doesn't get their attention...kick harder!

Agree, but only when you consider other punishments they handed out for similar offenses. I still think Belichick should have been suspended as well and I don't believe for a second that he didn't know anything about this and/or was not involved to some extent.

It is more likely than not they have been doing this for many years...and the NFL is generally aware that NE will do anything they can on both sides of the rules line to gain an advantage, as evidenced most recently by the rule change regarding unbalanced eligibles.

Edited by gilthorp

I was very shocked to see this kind of punishment, I still didn't think they'd suspend Brady at all. The taking of draft picks including the 2016 first, and the hefty fine were also more than I expected. I don't think its that unreasonable, and the 4 game suspension will most likely be reduced to 2.

I believe rajn is correct, the team cannot appeal the punishment (fines and draft pick) but the players through the CBA can.

Like some others have said, the Pats have cheated before and been caught. They (not unlike the Saints with the bounty scandal) were most likely given a stearn warning at that time, about further infractions. Toss in Brady not cooperating much, and you have what some may feel is harsh. Others still want BB suspended, somebody on another forum even said that both Brady and BB should be suspended the whole season.

Also had some dummy on another forum try to use the "who cares its a stupid rule anyway" and this guy is a teacher. I asked him does he teach his kids its ok to break rules you think are stupid? I know I speed and do other things I think aren't a big deal, but when caught and punished I don't try to use "its a stupid law" as my defense.