[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper league question

Gourdeau

Need some ideas on how to rectify this question. The commish in our league has implemented a new keeper system in our league starting this year. We can keep 4 players. 2 players from rounds 1 to 4 and 2 from rounds 5 to 17. The four players kept will count as picks 1-4 for next years draft meaning they will all be top tier keepers so only 2 of those 4 can be kept again... I am the assistant commish and was asked this question. what if through the course of the season the 4 guys you kept end up being traded to another team for players that weren't top tier players... let's take last year for example.. what if I traded a guy like Demarco murray for Odel Beckham Jr and then traded Jimmy Graham for mike Evans or something like that and your other two players drafted in round 1 to 4 were also traded.. who then becomes eligible as the top tier keepers?

That's difficult for sure and something he commish should have thought about before changing the rules. I'm curious, did the rest of the league have any input or discussion on this topic before the commish implemented the this new system? What was the keeper system before?

not really much input.. There was a lot of complaining about the original system and how the draft was getting dull so commish implemented a system... We previously had to keep 3 players with no cost or loss of picks.

The player should still be tagged as "kept" regardless of if he gets traded. It could make it interesting. A smart owner could trade away his kept players for guys that weren't, which would give him new guys to keep.

That is what my question is.... what if a smart owner does this? It goes against the system the commish put in place because it states an owner MUST keep 2 players that were previously kept, and 2 players that weren't... if a team trades away his players that were kept, then who is he going to keep as his top tier? Essentially this question was posed because an owner has AJ Green, Odel Backham, Jeremy Hill, Kelvin Benjamin, CJ Anderson, only Green would be a top tier Keeper because he was a keeper last season. The others were all late rounders. The owner is arguing he should be allowed to keep 3 tier keepers ( Backham, Anderson and Hill)

That is what my question is.... what if a smart owner does this? It goes against the system the commish put in place because it states an owner MUST keep 2 players that were previously kept, and 2 players that weren't... if a team trades away his players that were kept, then who is he going to keep as his top tier? Essentially this question was posed because an owner has AJ Green, Odel Backham, Jeremy Hill, Kelvin Benjamin, CJ Anderson, only Green would be a top tier Keeper because he was a keeper last season. The others were all late rounders. The owner is arguing he should be allowed to keep 3 tier keepers ( Backham, Anderson and Hill)

it sounds like an awful keeper system. It also sounds like it was implemented quickly and without much thought. That said, you can either go back to the drawing board or play within the rules. If an owner has a bunch of talent from the later rounds and is to play within the rules, he should try to trade some of that late round talent to an owner that has extra early round talent so that both teams can balance out.

Before I started dynasty leagues, I was commish to a couple redraft leagues. When we all started to want something more, we talked about going to a keeper league. It took us a couple of months to find a system that everyone wanted and iron out the wrinkles. At the end of the day, the most important thing is that the system in place for the league is fun to the league members and something that they want to be a part of. If your new system isn't that, try again.

I would make the rule that any player acquired by trade or free agency is considered a "1-4" round draft pick. Makes it all simple. Avoids people gaming the system.

• Like 1

Hard to say how to fix it per se without a major change.

One way could be to assign keeper cost based on draft pick. Say keeper cost is draft round +1 with the cheapest possible cost being the 8th round (or whatever you guys decide). In my keeper league, we have the 5th round as the lowest keeper cost, but I wish it were later (or no minimum) because you could mine more value from your late round picks and waiver adds.

Personally, I am not a fan of 'must keep' type rules. Leaving it to a value based free market decision for every owner will keep things interesting every year. We can keep 2 players and we have guys who keep 2, 1, and zero every year. We also charge $10 per keeper that goes into the pot.

And get rid of the rule that says that every team MUST keep two players from the top four, as well as two players from rounds 5+. If a team is terrible, and doesn't have any good keeper possibilities, it only penalizes them even more if they are required to keep bad players. Make keepers optional, in my opinion. If they prefer to start from scratch, they should be able to do so.

And get rid of the rule that says that every team MUST keep two players from the top four, as well as two players from rounds 5+. If a team is terrible, and doesn't have any good keeper possibilities, it only penalizes them even more if they are required to keep bad players. Make keepers optional, in my opinion. If they prefer to start from scratch, they should be able to do so.

and this

I agree the must keep rules are not good, I've tried without luck to get some more flexibility in our "must keep 5" league, which was similar to the OP's before their rule change, in that there was no cost or limits, so once you drafted a stud you keep them for life. The must keep makes for some interesting trading as owners with little talent can make some trades to get guys that would otherwise be released back into the draft by owners with abundant talent.

I've tried for a range of say 3-5 (min-max) keepers, allowing bad teams more ability to rebuild. But too many owners think that gives the bad teams a large advantage, or just makes it harder.

• 2 weeks later...

Really really hate this new system.. there was a trade just announced.. owner 1 trades Jamal Charles and his 1st rounder (9th pick) and 3rd rounder to owner 2 for his 1st rounder (4th pick )and 3rd rounder..owner 1 has Antonio brown and dez Bryant whom he is keeping as tier 1 keepers... owner 2 only had aaron Rodgers as a tier 1 player..

Edited by Gourdeau

I would make the rule that any player acquired by trade or free agency is considered a "1-4" round draft pick. Makes it all simple. Avoids people gaming the system.

This. I think this is the best way to deal with it.

This is what happens when the commish implements policies willy nilly. Rule #1 with a league is never implement a policy that would change how someone managed their team the year prior. Rule #2 is talk through this with the owners during seasons to work through these pitfalls.

Terrible.

• Like 1

Wow....you are almost as good as some of the other guys here.

j/k

I prefer re-drafts or dynasty formats and have found myself not being in a single re-draft league any longer. The limited keeper leagues are cool as a concept but become very unbalanced over time.

We rarely change rules because most owners cannot agree on something, and the only time they want to discuss them is right before the draft, which makes that take an extra 30-60 minutes. Plus we (my co-commish and I) don't just create new rules without their vote.