[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cody Latimore - why not traded?

Wpob

So it basically looks like Latimore is now so buried on the bench in Denver that he can't even see daylight.

He is young and has talent, so my question is why doesn't another team trade for him?

I am pretty sure Denver would let him go for a late round pick. And if you are a team in need of some youth and trying to find a potential starting WR, why not make the call?

I am always surprised trades like this don't happen more ofter in the NFL.

So it basically looks like Latimore is now so buried on the bench in Denver that he can't even see daylight.

He is young and has talent, so my question is why doesn't another team trade for him?

I am pretty sure Denver would let him go for a late round pick. And if you are a team in need of some youth and trying to find a potential starting WR, why not make the call?

I am always surprised trades like this don't happen more ofter in the NFL.

At this point, that's probably up for debate.

Well, he HAD talent in college. And that was not too long ago and he has not suffered any injuries.

If you are a team that had Latimore on your board two years ago, why not make a call? I guess there may have been a team that has, but I doubt it.

Like why wouldn't Carolina, with NO WR on their roster, dangle a 6th round pick and take a chance? Would Denver really turn down a 6th round pick for a guy who is behind DT, Sanders and many more?

The collegiate ranks have always been full of "talented" players who never make it at the next level. Many of those talented college players relied solely on their talent to excel in games at the collegiate level ...never really having to work at it. When they get to the NFL where the most elite of the elite play they find that talent alone is not enough, everybody in the NFL has talent. You excel in the NFL when you have talent, work hard, avoid injuries and land in the right spot.

• Like 2

The collegiate ranks have always been full of "talented" players who never make it at the next level. Many of those talented college players relied solely on their talent to excel in games at the collegiate level ...never really having to work at it. When they get to the NFL where the most elite of the elite play they find that talent alone is not enough, everybody in the NFL has talent. You excel in the NFL when you have talent, work hard, avoid injuries and land in the right spot.

This is the part I focus on. I think there are many players who land in the wrong spot and never get a chance.

From what I gather, he still hasn't gotten his head wrapped around the playbook. He has a lot of natural ability, but seems to be either dumb or lazy (or both).

I would think that if you had a golden opportunity to begin your career working with Peyton freaking Manning, you would bust your ass to get on the field.

• Like 1

From what I gather, he still hasn't gotten his head wrapped around the playbook. He has a lot of natural ability, but seems to be either dumb or lazy (or both).

I would think that if you had a golden opportunity to begin your career working with Peyton freaking Manning, you would bust your ass to get on the field.

Agreed. That is why I think Denver would be willing to deal him for anything.

By talent in this case we're usually talking about pure athletic ability, speed, height, weight, strength. Not route running, catching well, finding the hole, making moves in open space etc. Once they face the elite of their trade in the NFL their althetic ability is simply not enough, and they have to do a lot of work to learn their craft, the plays, etc. Many players just don't put in that work or cannot improve beyond their raw athletic ability.

I had high hopes for him too, but the word

is that he simply isn't learning the system in Denver.

To me it seems he's at a disadvantage anyways because he missed the 2014 off-season and didn't get to have a part in learning the Gase offense or develop a relationship with Peyton. So he gets healthy and starts cramming to make the jump to starter in 2015 and then boom, in comes another completely different offensive scheme. Rough luck really

I had high hopes for him too, but the word

is that he simply isn't learning the system in Denver.

To me it seems he's at a disadvantage anyways because he missed the 2014 off-season and didn't get to have a part in learning the Gase offense or develop a relationship with Peyton. So he gets healthy and starts cramming to make the jump to starter in 2015 and then boom, in comes another completely different offensive scheme. Rough luck really

This apparently isn't an issue for Fowler or Norwood, who have far less to work with in terms of physical gifts.

This apparently isn't an issue for Fowler or Norwood, who have far less to work with in terms of physical gifts.

Seems like its usually that way, the more physically gifted players just aren't as good at learning new schemes and making the effort required to adapt.