[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

CaptainHook

I found the film enjoyable but disappointing. It was almost the exact same story as Episode IV. I get that these things repeat themselves over and over, but this repetition was over the top. They really have nothing new to say. They just want to recreate what's already been done. It's a money grab.

• Like 2

Spoilers ahead...

First of all, I REALLY enjoyed the movie! I thought it was a great addition to the Star Wars films, and can't wait to see what happens next. I'm sure I will see the Force Awakens multiple times, and will for sure buy it as soon as it's released on DVD/BluRay.

But here are some things I didn't like...

First of all, Finn and Poe became best friends a little too easily. Finn breaks him out, but for his own selfish reasons. That's the extent of the development of that relationship, but somehow they turn that into BFF's. Um, ok.

I understand the whole mantra of what has happened before shall happen again, blah blah blah, but really... another desert planet, and another bigger badder death star? I sincerely hope that the future movies are A LOT more unique.

Leia and Han. A lot has been said about them getting old. Wow. You're not kidding. I don't mind that they looked old, in fact that doesn't bother me in the slightest. But Carrie Fisher's voice was NOT Leia's voice, unless Leia smoked 3 packs a day for the last 25 years. And somewhere around the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Harrison Ford simply forgot how to act. Seriously, he has been absolutely awful to watch lately. I'm glad they killed him off just for that reason. I loved Han Solo, but he had to go!

Lastly, it seems to me that Kylo Ren was advanced enough in his understanding of the force, that he should have been able to easily handle dispatching Finn and Rey, even as Rey was starting to figure things out. She might have been more powerful, but she was still a newbie, and that should have been enough of an advantage for Kylo Ren. I know, I know... you can't kill off the main protagonists or antagonists right away. But I still wasn't believing that Rey was able to survive against him.

Do you guys agree or disagree with any of that?

Spoilers ahead...

First of all, I REALLY enjoyed the movie! I thought it was a great addition to the Star Wars films, and can't wait to see what happens next. I'm sure I will see the Force Awakens multiple times, and will for sure buy it as soon as it's released on DVD/BluRay.

But here are some things I didn't like...

First of all, Finn and Poe became best friends a little too easily. Finn breaks him out, but for his own selfish reasons. That's the extent of the development of that relationship, but somehow they turn that into BFF's. Um, ok.

I understand the whole mantra of what has happened before shall happen again, blah blah blah, but really... another desert planet, and another bigger badder death star? I sincerely hope that the future movies are A LOT more unique.

Leia and Han. A lot has been said about them getting old. Wow. You're not kidding. I don't mind that they looked old, in fact that doesn't bother me in the slightest. But Carrie Fisher's voice was NOT Leia's voice, unless Leia smoked 3 packs a day for the last 25 years. And somewhere around the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Harrison Ford simply forgot how to act. Seriously, he has been absolutely awful to watch lately. I'm glad they killed him off just for that reason. I loved Han Solo, but he had to go!

Lastly, it seems to me that Kylo Ren was advanced enough in his understanding of the force, that he should have been able to easily handle dispatching Finn and Rey, even as Rey was starting to figure things out. She might have been more powerful, but she was still a newbie, and that should have been enough of an advantage for Kylo Ren. I know, I know... you can't kill off the main protagonists or antagonists right away. But I still wasn't believing that Rey was able to survive against him.

Do you guys agree or disagree with any of that?

I can understand them becoming good friends, I mean he did save the man from torture and a painful death AND protected his robot. I had no problem with Ford. He was with Chewy and had enough one-liners to satisfy my nostalgia.

NOW I do partially agree with you on that Ren and Rey fight, but I have my own theories to hope we're both wrong. One, Ren was pretty injured after Chewy shot him. Two, Ren was in no way a master, but he was semi-trained. I think he would still be a padawan if the Jedi Order was still around. Three, Finn also injured him (that made no sense!!!!). Fourth, I'm hoping Rey had some training and was not aware of it, kind of wiped from her mind at a young age, she picked up the force and light saber skills too quickly.

Edited by Shaft

Only in a Star Ware universe would a white belt walk into a dojo, train for 15 minutes, and go toe-to-toe with a blackbelt studying a martial art for half their life. Two white belts did it in this movie.

And umm, yeah, the black belt pretty much stopped using the force 20 minutes into the movie. Went from badarse to a wimp pretty quick.

I want to learn more about who a white belt was waiting on the sandy planet for. Just hanging out being a scavenger for the heck of it?

Is the last Jedi really a papa? Wonder if he was just hopping planet to planet sowing his royal oats. Went into hiding to avoid paying child support.

I want to learn where the new dark master came from. There is always 2, one master and one student. Lost the master AND the student in the earlier film. Pretty fast turn around (30 years) on that one-on-one model to have a master and a student again, you know... without a master at all.

I want to see the soccerball robot move flawlessly on a water, lava, or a forest based planet.

Only in a Star Ware universe would a white belt walk into a dojo, train for 15 minutes, and go toe-to-toe with a blackbelt studying a martial art for half their life. Two white belts did it in this movie.

And umm, yeah, the black belt pretty much stopped using the force 20 minutes into the movie. Went from badarse to a wimp pretty quick.

I want to learn more about who a white belt was waiting on the sandy planet for. Just hanging out being a scavenger for the heck of it?

Is the last Jedi really a papa? Wonder if he was just hopping planet to planet sowing his royal oats. Went into hiding to avoid paying child support.

I want to learn where the new dark master came from. There is always 2, one master and one student. Lost the master AND the student in the earlier film. Pretty fast turn around (30 years) on that one-on-one model to have a master and a student again, you know... without a master at all.

I want to see the soccerball robot move flawlessly on a water, lava, or a forest based planet.

Palpatine/Vader were Sith.

Kylo is a Knight of Ren which is a different group - not :nerd: enough to know all the details as I have not stayed up with the Clone Wars and Rebels shows or read the novelization to know all the background, but :nerd: enough to have read a ton of the write ups/fan theories to have picked up on this. That's not to say that Kylo and or Snoke may not turn out to be Sith as well, just that for now we only know him to apparently be the leader of the Knights of Ren.

I can understand them becoming good friends, I mean he did save the man from torture and a painful death AND protected his robot. I had no problem with Ford. He was with Chewy and had enough one-liners to satisfy my nostalgia.

NOW I do partially agree with you on that Ren and Rey fight, but I have my own theories to hope we're both wrong. One, Ren was pretty injured after Chewy shot him. Two, Ren was in no way a master, but he was semi-trained. I think he would still be a padawan if the Jedi Order was still around. Three, Finn also injured him (that made no sense!!!!). Fourth, I'm hoping Rey had some training and was not aware of it, kind of wiped from her mind at a young age, she picked up the force and light saber skills too quickly.

I think they made it pretty obvious that she was fairly adept at hand-to-hand combat already. They made it a point to show that she could more than take care of herself when her & Finn met and that she used a staff to fight with which would not be completely unlike a light saber.

As for Kylo Ren I think they also made it clear that he was not completely trained, so to assume that he was Darth Emo, Sith Lord would be missing the point. He's an immature punk with a manure-ton of power & not the mind to fully utilize or control it (hence Snoke stating he wanted him back to complete his training). My guess is Snoke never completely trusted him enough to fully train him until Kylo proved his dedication to the dark side of the force. And remember, Kylo himself said he was having conflict within himself, so that makes sense as well.

I think they made it pretty obvious that she was fairly adept at hand-to-hand combat already. They made it a point to show that she could more than take care of herself when her & Finn met and that she used a staff to fight with which would not be completely unlike a light saber.

As for Kylo Ren I think they also made it clear that he was not completely trained, so to assume that he was Darth Emo, Sith Lord would be missing the point. He's an immature punk with a taco-ton of power & not the mind to fully utilize or control it (hence Snoke stating he wanted him back to complete his training). My guess is Snoke never completely trusted him enough to fully train him until Kylo proved his dedication to the dark side of the force. And remember, Kylo himself said he was having conflict within himself, so that makes sense as well.

Hand to hand doesn't equal power and knowledge of the force. I can be swayed to side with her in the fight, but her knowledge of the force (i.e. using seasoned Jedi mind tricks) needs to be explained.

Hand to hand doesn't equal power and knowledge of the force. I can be swayed to side with her in the fight, but her knowledge of the force (i.e. using seasoned Jedi mind tricks) needs to be explained.

Or we could just take the movie for what it is, a fun action oriented family sci-fi movie.

Otherwise its back to crap like explaining the force using midichlorians...

Or we could just take the movie for what it is, a fun action oriented family sci-fi movie.

Otherwise its back to crap like explaining the force using midichlorians...

:lol::lol::lol:

True, but I do have some appreciation for the mythos, particularly the hard work and commitment it takes to become a Jedi.

Edited by Shaft

:lol::lol::lol:

True, but I do have some appreciation for the mythos, particularly the hard work and commitment it takes to become a Jedi.

I hear ya, but that's why there's books (though possibly not in this case). :nerd: If you ever want the whole story, go to the book. Then again, reading will skew your opinion of most movies/shows. For instance, the LOTR movie trilogy is crap in my opinion. So guess its a catch-22 in a way.

Throughout the series the powers of the Jedi seem to be fairly common knowledge, including the power to control thought. I think it stands to reason that once she realizes she has Jedi powers through mind-blocking Kylo, that she could also quickly deduce that she has the power to influence the stormtrooper. It could also be that she's known that she's had those powers for some time but never understood what they were ala Harry Potter. If that's the case then she would have had some time to develop those abilities on her own.

There's also a theory running around about her lineage which makes a ton of sense and it doesn't involve her being a Skywalker. If that turns out to be true then it could also give some explanation as to her knowledge and limited development of her abilities through her parent(s) before they were taken away.

Edited by rajncajn

Throughout the series the powers of the Jedi seem to be fairly common knowledge, including the power to control thought. I think it stands to reason that once she realizes she has Jedi powers through mind-blocking Kylo, that she could also quickly deduce that she has the power to influence the stormtrooper. It could also be that she's known that she's had those powers for some time but never understood what they were ala Harry Potter. If that's the case then she would have had some time to develop those abilities on her own.

There's also a theory running around about her lineage which makes a ton of sense and it doesn't involve her being a Skywalker. If that turns out to be true then it could also give some explanation as to her knowledge and limited development of her abilities through her parent(s) before they were taken away.

But at this stage the Jedi are once again viewed as legendary, almost urban myths. I mean look at her reaction about Luke Skywalker. And I'm not buying that she can somehow deduce that she can influence the stormtrooper. I mean she kept trying like she knew she could do it. I've read the various theories on her possible genetics and I'm sure (or hope) her knowledge of the force will be explored in future installments. Either way, I enjoyed the movie.

Edited by Shaft

I found the film enjoyable but disappointing. It was almost the exact same story as Episode IV. I get that these things repeat themselves over and over, but this repetition was over the top. They really have nothing new to say. They just want to recreate what's already been done. It's a money grab.

This was George Lucas's issues with the film. He said they weren't creative enough.

But at this stage the Jedi are once again viewed as legendary, almost urban myths. I mean look at her reaction about Luke Skywalker. And I'm not buying that she can somehow deduce that she can influence the stormtrooper. I mean she kept trying like she knew she could do it. I've read the various theories on her possible genetics and I'm sure (or hope) her knowledge of the force will be explored in future installments. Either way, I enjoyed the movie.

There's a theory that she was in Luke's training school, but once Ren (also a student of Luke's) turned to the dark side, the school was disbanded - the other students had their minds wiped and were sent off to different planets. I'd buy that, it would explain how Rey quickly picked up on things after learning she was strong with the force.

• Like 1

There's a theory that she was in Luke's training school, but once Ren (also a student of Luke's) turned to the dark side, the school was disbanded - the other students had their minds wiped and were sent off to different planets. I'd buy that, it would explain how Rey quickly picked up on things after learning she was strong with the force.

Yeah, that's one of the theories I've heard also. It also makes the most sense. My only really gripe with the film was that it was too much like "A New Hope," but beggars can't be choosers and I greatly enjoyed the nostalgic feelings from watching this film.