[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

CaptainHook

I enjoyed it as well. Some of the issue brought up here I agree with. It is pretty much the exact same story as Episode IV. I also thought Kylo Ren was a joke. How can he not dispatch of Finn very quickly since Finn is just an ex storm trooper who happens to get a hold of a light saber. Then how can he not defeat Rey when she has had no training no matter how strong the force is with her. Luke could not do much of anything until he got true training.

I kept comparing him to Vader in my mind and Vader would have dispatched of both of them pretty quickly. However I guess that is unfair to compare him to Vader.

• 2 weeks later...

It was ok.

Did not like how they presented Kyle as super powerful at the beginning and then super blah, blah, blah. Not at all. Felt like a cartoon where the villain is destroying everything and then at the end he just talks and is not as powerful. MEh...

It was ok.

Did not like how they presented Kyle as super powerful at the beginning and then super blah, blah, blah. Not at all. Felt like a cartoon where the villain is destroying everything and then at the end he just talks and is not as powerful. MEh...

The director wanted to tell a parallel story of a young hero and a young villain developing which is why we saw Kylo Ren having so many hissy fits. They didn't want him to be a fully formed badass like Vader. I guess that is still to come.

The problem is that it was hard to like Kylo Ren because he was so immature, the same way it was hard to like Anakin Skywalker. Bad guys work better when you like how badass they are. It's hard to like bratty crybabies.

Edited by electricrelish
  • Like 1

Spoilers ahead...

First of all, I REALLY enjoyed the movie! I thought it was a great addition to the Star Wars films, and can't wait to see what happens next. I'm sure I will see the Force Awakens multiple times, and will for sure buy it as soon as it's released on DVD/BluRay.

But here are some things I didn't like...

First of all, Finn and Poe became best friends a little too easily. Finn breaks him out, but for his own selfish reasons. That's the extent of the development of that relationship, but somehow they turn that into BFF's. Um, ok.

I understand the whole mantra of what has happened before shall happen again, blah blah blah, but really... another desert planet, and another bigger badder death star? I sincerely hope that the future movies are A LOT more unique.

Leia and Han. A lot has been said about them getting old. Wow. You're not kidding. I don't mind that they looked old, in fact that doesn't bother me in the slightest. But Carrie Fisher's voice was NOT Leia's voice, unless Leia smoked 3 packs a day for the last 25 years. And somewhere around the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Harrison Ford simply forgot how to act. Seriously, he has been absolutely awful to watch lately. I'm glad they killed him off just for that reason. I loved Han Solo, but he had to go!

Lastly, it seems to me that Kylo Ren was advanced enough in his understanding of the force, that he should have been able to easily handle dispatching Finn and Rey, even as Rey was starting to figure things out. She might have been more powerful, but she was still a newbie, and that should have been enough of an advantage for Kylo Ren. I know, I know... you can't kill off the main protagonists or antagonists right away. But I still wasn't believing that Rey was able to survive against him.

Do you guys agree or disagree with any of that?

Yes the novices dispatching the experienced bad guy was a reach, but that's always been at play in movies including Star Wars. Luke being able to battle Darth Vader after incomplete training, but at least he lost, including his hand... I'd have to disagree with riffraff, a Star Wars movie is far from the first places I've seen that kind of thing.

But I do kind of take the "hey its a movie about fantasy and sci-fi, anything is pretty much possible." (Seriously two giant death creating machines were created and both with fatal flaws making them rather easy to defeat by a small force? Like don't the bad guys learn from prior mistakes?)

ETA I don't go see a lot of movies, and this is one I have considered going to see a second time. I didn't feel that way about the last 3, but have seen the first 3 many times each.

Edited by stevegrab

• 4 weeks later...