[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tom Brady 4 game suspension re-instated by appeal court

AX2RUN

Tell me he didn't see this coming tho, under his previous contract he would have lost around 2 million. After restructuring his contract recently he stands to lose 200k

It wouldn't surprise me if this causes the league to change how they fine players. To be fair, a player should also have to pay a proportionate amount of their signing bonus.

It wouldn't surprise me if this causes the league to change how they fine players. To be fair, a player should also have to pay a proportionate amount of their signing bonus.

Saw his 2017 salary is also just 1 million, maybe that is planning for future suspensions or a way to?explain it wasn't to avoid him losing money while suspended.

Tell me he didn't see this coming tho, under his previous contract he would have lost around 2 million. After restructuring his contract recently he stands to lose 200k

I think you are right on with this statement.

While I disagree that he should have ever been suspended in the first place, I really never expected him to win in court. That first one was pretty lucky in my opinion. Unfortunately, the NFL judicial system is run like a business, not a court of law. Roger Goddell has complete power to punish individuals how he sees fit and can just lump it onto "image of the league" or "equality of the league." If inflating footballs was some kind of criminal offense, there is NO WAY Tom Brady would be found guilty, simply not enough evidence that isn't a little circumstantial. In some ways it relates to businesses like ESPN that fire their employees for public statements they make about political issues. Legally these individuals can make these statements, but a commercial establishment has the right to fire you because you have disrupted the image they want to embody.

I think you are right on with this statement.

While I disagree that he should have ever been suspended in the first place, I really never expected him to win in court. That first one was pretty lucky in my opinion. Unfortunately, the NFL judicial system is run like a business, not a court of law. Roger Goddell has complete power to punish individuals how he sees fit and can just lump it onto "image of the league" or "equality of the league." If inflating footballs was some kind of criminal offense, there is NO WAY Tom Brady would be found guilty, simply not enough evidence that isn't a little circumstantial. In some ways it relates to businesses like ESPN that fire their employees for public statements they make about political issues. Legally these individuals can make these statements, but a commercial establishment has the right to fire you because you have disrupted the image they want to embody.

Pfft... If the players do not like the power that Goddell has, then perhaps they should not have agreed to giving it to him under the collective bargaining agreement.

Pfft... If the players do not like the power that Goddell has, then perhaps they should not have agreed to giving it to him under the collective bargaining agreement.

Goodell hadn't been so tyrannical when the last collective bargaining agreement was made in 2011. And the players had much bigger things to worry about in 2011 since they were being asked to take a salary cut and were being locked out. My guess is that Goodell's unilateral power will be a big issue when the next collective bargaining agreement happens in 2020.

The money doesn't matter to Brady - his wife will out earn him no matter how he restructures his contracts and what endorsements he tales on. I'm no Brady fan at all, but this is not good news for any NFL players. Sets a real bad precedent when an investigation can be botched this bad and the whole ordeal handled this poorly, yet Goodell and the league still come out on top.

IMO, the real impact of this decision will be felt by the players and when the next CBA is negotiated after the 2020 season. The Pats will be fine for their 1st 4 games regardless - Belichick will find a way to at least split. And Brady's legacy isn't changing from 4 games - people made up their minds long ago on what they think of him concerning Deflategate.

The money doesn't matter to Brady - his wife will out earn him no matter how he restructures his contracts and what endorsements he tales on. I'm no Brady fan at all, but this is not good news for any NFL players. Sets a real bad precedent when an investigation can be botched this bad and the whole ordeal handled this poorly, yet Goodell and the league still come out on top.

I honestly don't think Goodell doesn't make it much further as comish, he will be lucky to make it to the 2020 negotiations, but he won't make it much further

Edited by jamesplante11
  • Like 1

I honestly don't think Goodell doesn't make it much further as comish, he will be lucky to make it to the 2020 negotiations, but he won't make it much further

I agree wholeheartedly - he could survive as the public and players turned against him. The beginning of the end was when he started to turn the owners against him. Whoever the commish is in 2020, I expect a huge point of contention to be some power removal/separation of duties. The PA overlooked it for $$$ last negotiation and now they're paying for it.

• Like 1

As long as he continues to protect the war machine that puts billions into owners' pockets, they will not remove him. The only way that public opinion impact Goodell is if it gets so bad that people stop supporting the game and revenue drops and we all know that ain't happening.

As long as he continues to protect the war machine that puts billions into owners' pockets, they will not remove him. The only way that public opinion impact Goodell is if it gets so bad that people stop supporting the game and revenue drops and we all know that ain't happening.

He did however just ask the local police up here in Maine to "guard" his summer house. They told him they are not wasting the resources